New
Find
Notify
Tools

Isn't summer over yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anyone tired of hot weather but me? I am ready to do some hunting and have a hard time staying outside for long. It is so hot in my loading shack that I can't pull the press handle for the sweat. I tried to slowly sand a stock the other day and did mot need to wet it to de-wisker it. I dripped enough to take care of the problem. we are having 90 degree 90-100 percent humidity. Is that 90 squared?
Anyway deer season is a looooong way off and Bird season not much sooner. I keep getting out the camo but by the time I have worn it for a little while, it smells like a wet dog and I don't want too much man odor on it In November.
Too hot to go to the range.
Too hot to scout the woods.
Too hot to make love.
Too hot to make whisky.
Too hot to do much but watch the boob tube, and there arn't many boobs there, nor are there enough hunting shows with snow. Its all fishing, which is another thing its too hot to do.
I can not begin to imagine what it must be like for Rick's son and all of the others in the really hot places.
God Bless all who serve and those who wait for them.
Bill Brower (Judge Sharpe)

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
This is the time of year to sharpen your bird-shooting skills. We burn through a lot of shot-shells this time of year, keeping the local Sporting Clays range in business. I've never seen a "wandering POI" from a hot shotgun barrel..... Wink Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is anyone tired of hot weather but me?

Add me to the list. Although I will miss short-shorts.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Huh, you obviously don't live in the Rockies... we've waited 9 month's for summer to show.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I was ready for summer to be over the first day it was over 80 degrees. The wife and kids went up to the pool yesterday and asked if I wanted to go (the same annual question with the same response). I said no. I have no interest in jumping in a pee filled pool from all of the neighborhood kids.

I wonder how hot it's going to be in my ground blind next month in Nebraska while hunting for antelope.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I was ready for summer to be over the first day it was over 80 degrees. The wife and kids went up to the pool yesterday and asked if I wanted to go (the same annual question with the same response). I said no. I have no interest in jumping in a pee filled pool from all of the neighborhood kids.

I wonder how hot it's going to be in my ground blind next month in Nebraska while hunting for antelope.

I bet after you've been there an hour, the pee filled pool will start sounding better.

A friend and I are heading out to Christmas Valley tomorrow. Should be interesting.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Christmas Valley?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Gawd I hope I never think it's too hot to make love! Or go fishing, for that matter. Not necessarily in that order!!!

Down here it's been warm since April, and 90+ days started in May. Good thing I'm on the coast...if it was not humid a guy would plumb dry out and shrivel up when they step outside!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Christmas Valley?

We actually went out between Prineville and Fort Rock.
There are more "rock formations" that these rats live in out there.

We will be going to Christmas Valley soon and hunt some alfalfa fields.
I was told the sage rat hunting is better before it grows too tall or right after the alfalfa is cut.

So MANY fields to hunt, soooo little time…

(but LOTS of ammo)

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Summer sucks!

Only redeeming factor is hog & coyote hunting, but even that is "dampened" (pun intended) by 104* temps. and 80-90% humidity.

Water holes drying up, making the few remaining ones hot spots, especially mid-day, but it's just too darn hot to get out midday. Not sure if it's just hotter, or old age catching up, but heat did not bother me this much 30 years ago.

Having said that, grandson and I are heading out tomorrow to give it another go. Smiler

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot?? Try working in a prison in South Texas, no air conditioning. Yes, it's getting hot here with 2 or 3 months left to look forward to.

I have a system: I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me!

Posts: 106 | Location: Cuero, TX. | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We don't get a long one but I love summer in Michigan. Water everywhere for boat time. Fish are biting. A cold beer after playing ball until 10:00. Catching the sunrise riding my motorcycle to work. Putting serious miles on my bicycle. By the first of September I'll start getting the itch but right now it's all good.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's supposed top be 104 today (40 C) and 106 tomorrow.
eek2

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Frank, I used to spend summers in Bakersfield with my grandparents when I was 9-10 or so.
I was born in Bakersfield, but don't blame me, I was young at the time...

I remember there was a truck stop/fuel stop on a corner of Union Ave (south of city center, out by the old drive in) that was not paved.

When you walked across their lot, the dirt would come over the tops of your shoes and burn your feet. Memories!

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Just came back from Oregon off leave. It was unusaully cool up there for this time of year. I'm from Madras myself and stationed down here in Arizona it is 103 right now. I think the hottest it got was 81 when I was up in Oregon.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
Just came back from Oregon off leave. It was unusaully cool up there for this time of year. I'm from Madras myself and stationed down here in Arizona it is 103 right now. I think the hottest it got was 81 when I was up in Oregon.

Yes, but when you are from the valley and it is only 70, 81 sucks...

posted Hide Post
And here in Phoenix today will be the 30yh consecutive 100+day in a row. The lowest high we have had for July was 108.The next 10 days are all expected to be in the 110-113 range. And no, i dont care if it is a dry heat Roll Eyes

Posts: 8 | Location: its a dry heat Arizona | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My oven is a dry heat too Wink

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
I think the hottest it got was 81 when I was up in Oregon.

That's about an average LOW for July and August right now down here. Damn electric bill is double compared to December-March.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that hates this stuff. We top out in the mid 90s but that is WAY too hot for me. The next month will be the worst, September can't get here soon enough. My oldest daughter and the grandkids live in Kilgore, in east Texas. Man! I don't envy you guys in the south. I couldn't do it. We made the mistake of going down there in July a few years back, that won't happen again.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I get a break. Monday I fly to New Zealand for three weeks where it's winter now and a hell of a lot easier to live with than the 106 here now.

I'm trying to arrange my schedule to get a day of feral goat hunting in with AR member Top Predator.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockyroadsaz:
And here in Phoenix today will be the 30yh consecutive 100+day in a row. The lowest high we have had for July was 108.The next 10 days are all expected to be in the 110-113 range. And no, i dont care if it is a dry heat Roll Eyes

Dry heat, dry heaves. Both SUCK!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, we have just had "summer" start a few weeks ago around here finally!

Varmint hunting around here, is more fun that big game season.... ( draw tag lotteries etc)...
The Fish & Wildlife boys haven't got around to regulating how many coyotes or sage rats or rock chucks you can shoot yet! ( but I am sure it is on their list of things to put their noses into!)

And after 16 winters in Minnesota, I will take summer time, any time!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to try some different 7x57 loads yesterday, so braved the heat and humidity to do so.I came in soaking wet, which I don't like but, I really hate it when my glasses fog over and my stuff gets wet! Mad I know I don't like the heat but, since I've never lived in a colder climate, I don't know if it would be any better. bewildered

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in as another that doesn't like the $#%*! HEAT. It has been in the upper 90's here for several days now and sounds like that will continue for a while. We have also had the darn wind blowing at 20-25 mph most days. I have some rifle loads to test for both a .338 Win and .375 H&H, but it is going to have to cool off for me to get that done. At times like this, I sure wish I had a 100yd. underground range built off the basement.

In six weeks I'll be back in Alaska. It will be cooler there.

Posts: 37 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
108 Today, "cools" to 107 Saturday, then 109 on Sunday.

Seasonal jump

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote