New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bears Bagged
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Yes, that is Will Gay's number eight all-time Boone and Crockett Club Alaska Brown Bear from Kodiak Island in 1997. Score is 30-4/16. It is tied with three others for the number eight spot. The all-time number one is 30-12/16 by Roy Lindsley in 1952

The rifle is a century old double rifle, 450 NE No.2, Army and Navy, Jones underlever, sidelock hammer gun.

Big Stick got four images through to me. The one of Pinnell with the near 12 square hide nailed to the side of the cannery building was one I am familiar with, having read the Track of the Kodiak books, etc.
I didn't post that one because I couldn't get it to show up very well, and I have questions about copyrights, etc.

I am offering to post more big bear photos on the webshots album if anyone cares to send them.

This should take you right to it:

http://community.webshots.com/album/27192941AXWzHIwtlz

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

[This message has been edited by DaggaRon (edited 12-18-2001).]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is such a beautiful big bear picture brought to us by Jon, that this repository will serve to keep it available, hopefully.
Just trolling for big bear pictures.

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad everybody liked that pic so much. I suppose I should give credit to the website I found it on (all I did was find it ). I found it here:

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/kodiak.htm

"Kodiak Bonded Core Bullets." Apparently it was killed with one of their bullets.

I think your "repository" is a great idea, RAB. I hope you find lots of pics!

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Phew! This recent rash of big bear photos kinda stifles that age-old question: "If a grizzly bear and a lion had a fight, who would win?". It has always been my feeling that truly big bears tug innately at our primal roots of fear like no other ... I have no fear of cape buffalo but think I may experience a degree of fear with lion, under the right circumstances. I hold little doubt that a confrontation with such a bruin at close quarters will induce a bowel movement.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Nickudu, When bears get that big, no individual lion is going to mess with them. A pride might have some luck but not without some consequenses.

posted Hide Post
Leo,
I'm sure you're correct. I was just thinkin' back to the silly "who do you think would win" discussions we all had as kids. Even today, I wouldn't mind watching a 480 pound lion or a 600 pound tiger take on a grizz of equal weight!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Some interesting trivia for you bear guys. Your posts on lions vs bears made me think of it.

Do you know what the only natural predator of inland grizzly bears is? (excluding man of course)

You might find the answer surprising..... Wolves. Yep, wolves. Apparently it only takes 3 wolves to kill a g-bear. This phenomenon has been witnessed and recorded numerous times. I still find it tough to believe.

I am assuming they would have a heckuva lot tougher time with those big AK B-bears, but I thought it was interesting that wolves could effectively take down g-bears.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I wonder if that stat relates to the taking of aged individuals or youngish bear that recently left moms protection? I wouldn't think healthy adults would have too worry much about wolves. Otherwise, wouldn't ravenous wolves be sniffing them out of their dens during the winters?

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 12-19-2001).]