New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Rifle
 Login/Join

<Fuzz>
posted
I'm going to buy my nephew his first deer rifle for his birthday. I think it will be a NEF, maybe in .280. What do you guys think? I wasn't going to spend to much money on one till I new how much he liked hunting. He's 15yrs old. Thanks Fuzz

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I think the NEF is a great value, and a pretty good gun if you get the trigger pull down (look in gunsmithing, I think there was a thread about it there). If it were me, I would choose a 30-06 though. Recoil would be comparable with 150 gr bullets compared to the 280, and I think it is a more versatile round. If recoil is an issue or he is small for his age consider a 243, but I think the '06 is hard to beat in N America. Plus he can fantasize about hunting moose and bear with the '06, and it would be a little bit of a stretch with a 280.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
Sounds Ok to me I have not had anything to do with the NEF rifle but shoot an 280 pretty much exclusively.
I hunt moose and bear with no thought of being undergunned.
Personally a 243 is a varmint round go with the 280 or 06 and if need be just handload lighter.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would also pick the 30-06 for a larger selection of bullet weights and styles for possibly larger game and there will always be more of a selection when buying factory ammo. If recoil will be a concern then I'll have to agree that a 243 or 25-06 will be good for a first deer rifle in the NEF.
My NEF is a .45-70 and is fun to shoot but does kick a bit with heavy reloads. It hardly moves at all with factory ammo but shots would have to be kept very close with the factory loads.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a .30-06 with light loads?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The NEF is, I'm sure, a decent gun for what it is, but why don't you go ahead and get him a bolt gun. A used Remington 700 would cost little more than the NEF and would be much more versatile and a more lasting value.

If he's big enough that the stock doesn't need shortening, then he can handle any of the medium calibers like .308, .270, or .30-06, but be SURE he wears ear protection. Muzzle blast is much more daunting (and damaging) to a novice shooter than recoil.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might try a inexpensive "sporterized" Mauser. Some are chambered in 270 and 30-06. No flies on the 280 though. If he is a good enough shot on moose and uses a 30-06, he will have no additional problems taking moose with a 280.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In this neck of the woods, a NEF runs about $160.00 - $200.00 new. Everyone wants almost new prices for a used rifle. I have a stainless steel NEF handi-rifle in .223, and while the trigger leaves something to be desired, it isn't bad and it is pretty accurate rifle.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
All my kids are getting single shots for first guns, maybe not shotguns but probably them too. A single shot emphasizes shot placement, and you do not want to teach that it is ok to be sloppy with the first shot if you have a quick follow up shot, you are teaching the wrong thing there.

If I did buy a bolt rifle for a first gun I would put a bench rest follower in it so it would only be a single shot the first year anyway.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Fuzz,

I've seen good and bad NEF's. One in 243 had to have the chamber polished, it was too rough to extract on factory ammo. I've seen several that shot much better than their price tags should allow.

I would be cautious about some of these guys talking you into bigger cals. This is a first gun, you say for deer. Only deer, or deer and....?

First few hunts are critical. Any bad experiences can taint the hunter, too much recoil, too much noise, too heavy a gun, etc. (MAKE SURE THE STOCK FITS HIM!) All are important factors. I don't think a 30-06 would be much fun to shoot in a 6+ (I'm guessing) pound rifle. I have never shot a 280.

I have never hunted WA. Here in AZ our deer are quite small, easily killed by smaller caliber guns. A 243 or 25-06 is more than enough gun here. Maybe same there?

If he really takes to hunting (hopefully!), are you planning on upgrading him early, or will he be hunting all his game (other than deer) with that gun? Just some points to ponder. I have worked firearms retail for many years(part time), and I have seen some improper matches between rifles and shooters. Good stock fit is very critical no matter what gun you get. It should fit now, not something "he can grow into". You can have it lengthened later as he grows.

Just my humble 2 cents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprized no one has brought this up yet, but if this is going to be a deer only gun why not just get a 308 or 7/08?

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
FUZZ,

As far as caliber goes the deer won't know the difference above a certain point. I have used 7mm Rem Mag for 35 years. A .30-06 for over 30 years and have had a .280 since '81. I've killed a lot of deer, antelope and elk with all three, plus moose with the -06 and bear with the .280. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between, say, a 7x57 through .300 Win. at reasonable ranges - if the bullet goes where it's supposed to, and light recoil goes a long way for a beginner.

I bought my 3 kids bolt rifles when they were 12. They were already accomplished shooters. The oldest got a .280, my daughter got a .25-05 because of the recoil factor and since most likely all she would be hunting was deer and antelope. The youngest got a .25-06 partly because we had moved to Missouri and partly because I got a great deal on it. The .25-06 is great because there is so little recoil.

There is nothing wrong with the NEFs. I have one in .223 and I love it. It is very handy to carry and tote around in my truck on the farm. Goes with me everywhere. It is also VERY accurate.

The NEF may be a great training rifle. I firmly believe a single shot will make a beginner a better stalker and shot. When you only have one you tend to make it count and until you are confident in your shooting ability you are more likely to get closer.

I learned to hunt with a bolt, but my dad insisted on only one cartridge in the gun and one in my back pocket.

Good Luck, and I wish all kids had an uncle like you.

Ol' Sarge

posted Hide Post
I think I would go for a used bolt too. As
for calibre I tend to think the .243 is a better suited to more expirenced shooters.
My own thoughts would be towards a .257Roberts, a 6.5x55mm or 7x57mm.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
My first one would be a used Encore or Contender. But of course I am prejudiced. SlimL

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
To each his own, but I like the idea of buying someone a -new- rifle for a first gun. As most of us know, used guns are fine. But I bet most people reading this have also been burned by a used gun at some point in their life, and again we are trying to set a good experience up here.

It has been my experience that many guns are traded in because the owner wanted to trade up, but just as many if not more are traded in because they have trouble shooting somehow.

<Fuzz>
posted
Thanks for all the advice. I have till the first part of September to decide. I'll have him shoot my 270 and 12ga a few more times to see how he handles recoil.
Thanks again Fuzz

<buffalo_buster>
posted
Fuzz,
I have a NEF in 30-06 and its a great rifle. Extremely accurate even with military surplus ammo. For a 15 year old I would recommend a NEF in either .308 or .30-06 because the military ammo will not be a big burden on a teenager's pocket, and won't discourage him from going to the range. He has a good 7 or 8 years left before he graduates from college, so ammo cost should be a consideration.
just my .02
BB

<BMG>
posted
Buff Buster brings up a very good point. We are looking at things through the eyes of 'my .338 Lapua, .44 Mag, and .220 Swift dont cost much because I reload' but the youngster probably doesn't have the $$$ for reloading gear. A .308 or .30-06 rifle and a bucket full of ammo will turn him into a shooter for life, and at an inexpensive cost, especially in .308 Win. Also, a .308 cal can be loaded light for varmint's or heavy for bigger than deer sized game.

<migra>
posted
How about a Savage 110? Very reasonably priced and they shoot well. As to caliber, I think any of the suggestions here will cover it.

<Don G>
posted
A 308 for a hunter or a 223 if he's too young and small for the 308. These get the cheap ammo for plinking, but allow for good accuracy with good ammo. Whatever you get him, make sure it is accurate. A youngster should always have a gun that shoots better than he does, and a good shooter around to prove it to him every time he gets cocky. That's how you get good shooters for life.

Sorry, I just looked up at his age. I'd say a 243 minimum. A 6.5x55 Swede might fit the bill. A 308 if he can handle it. I do hear the Savages are accurate.

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 07-07-2001).]

<Fuzz>
posted
He already knows his uncle reloads. Also I could use a different set of dies to work with. Hee Hee Fuzz

One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
I bought my son a H&R Topper version of the Handi rifle in 30-30 with a 20 guage barrel as well. These guns are very easy to re-stock and look very good with a nice piece of Walnut on them.
Don't over look the 30-30 if you reload as there is no reason to avoid the pointed bullets in a single shot and recoil is mild. I found it so accurate I even used it myself and bought another in 45-70 for black powder loads.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted

Im afraid your rolling the dice with an NEF. I had one in .223 and it was the most inaccurate rifle I ever owned, and I tried everything!

Guy's have had good experiences too, a friend has one in '06 and it shoot's like a dream. Many other's have had good ones also, many others have also, like me, had dog's.

That is pretty much the thing with cheap rifles. The quality control just isnt there, you might get lucky, you might not. I think the single shot idea is a good one, my 8yo will be shortly getting a single shot 22lr.

I found the biggest problem with NEF is in getting ahold of them. I couldnt, even Bass Pro Shop couldnt ; They finnaly just took the rifle back.

Its a judgement call on your part. Its an inexpensive rifle so it might be worth giving it a try. As far as the .280 goes I think its a winner for a new shooter. You can load it light for him to start and work him up to full house 165's.

If you ever take him for anything bigger then deer he'll be in good shape. I always admired the .280.....good shooting.......10

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 nephews that I started with a Savage model 340 in 30/30. It is a bolt action with a clip. It had a fixed 4power scope. The recoil level is light and the rifle was a real confidence builder as both started with it a 11 yrs of age(they are 3 years apart). It will kill anything and has accounted for numerous large hogs as well as deer. They have both since graduated to new rifles, one with a .270 and the other a 30:06. They are now 16 and 13 years old and hardcore hunters. We actually started them at 9 years of age with a .410 single shot more for them to have something to carry and sit on the stand with us. I picked this rifle up at a gunshow for $150. I believe the light recoil with an accurate rifle contributed to our success with these boys.
Ralph

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
<robbnsc>
posted
I shoot a .280 a lot. IMHO the best starting load for a youngster would be 140 grain bullets with 52 grains of IMR4350. The velocity is 2750 or so in a 22" barrel, the accuracy is great and the recoil is pretty light.

<Fuzz>
posted
I thought I would let you know that my nephew now owns a new NEF in 270win. I just hope one of my pet loads will work in his rifle. Thanks for all the advice. Fuzz