Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Auctions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted
Has anybody had a hunt purchased at a SCI banquet that the outfitter refused to honor?
Situation developing...

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Yes it indeed happens. Quite often there is a 'rest of the story'. I know of a half-dozen instances (at least). Reasons ranged from mis-communications, date conflicts, somebody wanting something for nothing (or next to nothing), and throw in some personality conflict.

Highly recommend that you contact the Chapter and get it negotiated before it turns into a complete train wreck and becomes a no-hope/no-solution thing.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw it happen a bunch of times.Outfitters give crappy trips to do the shows and had hidden cost.Others had good trips for good prices.You have to watch what you pay for.Its its too good to be true then it usually is.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
The outfit decided the price wasn't worth his time and refunded my dollars. It's my opinion that a man should put a base price on his product if he isn't willing to accept all offers. It's a waste of everyones time and effort, not to mention the loss of business to other outfitters at the banquet.
The local chapter president told me today the outfitter will no longer be welcomed at my clubs events. A shame really, the man has been around for a long time.

JOIN SCI!

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Vemo -- Please go ahead and name the outfitter. I'll add him to my "no go" list and I'm sure others would like to as well.

Please let us know how it goes with your SCI Chapter. Good luck.

Posts: 1245 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Badger,
check your pm-

JOIN SCI!

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would also be interested in knowing the name of the outfitter. I would add him to my no buy list as well.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin,
PM sent

JOIN SCI!

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I don't understand...

If someone donates a lot to a charity/fundraising auction, then how can they withdraw it or have any say over what the hammer price is????

Or are these lots not donated?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
If someone donates a lot to a charity/fundraising auction, then how can they withdraw it or have any say over what the hammer price is????

People that have no honor or scruples do that all the time.

Some SCI auction hunts are total donations and some are partial donations in which the outfitter gets a percentage of the auction price. Some auction items have a reserve and some don't.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I'm the chairmen of a dinner (not SCI) the hunt donations come in all forms from a straight donation what you sell it at auction you keep, to a 50/50 split, or a min. or reserve auction which to me is worthless the outfitter might get say $3000 for a hunt to john Q public but donate to you for a reserve of $2500 90% of the time they don't sell.

Several years back we had a Bowhunt in IL. Pike Co. 150 class deer on a 50/50 bases the hunt went for $2200 the same guide donated like 2-3 dozen of these hunts around the US everyone made there arraingement for a fall hunt come fall this guide was no where to be found, we offered our buyer a refund he said no i'll look at it as a donation.

When asking for a hunt donation I check out the outfit before hand like I was going.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vemo -- Please go ahead and name the outfitter. I'll add him to my "no go" list

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
bwana-
pm sent.

JOIN SCI!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know at the SCI in a Neighboring state
if it don't bring what they set the price to be it don't get sold.This happens at one of the biggest Chapters in the Country.
I thought an Auction was sell to the highest bidder.
Send me a Pm on who that was Please.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
The auction I was participating in was a silent auction. There wasn't a minimum price on any of the items, there was some incredible buys at the banquet including a beautiful elk antler chandelier that sold for a thousand bucks, I have seen other ones that weren't as nice for 5 grand. A 5 day spanish ibex hunt sold for $350 + trophy fees.
The outfitter that refused to honor the sale of his hunt flat out didn't want to do it based on my bid when the auction closed.
PM sent

JOIN SCI!

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Now the good part about SCI auctions. A friend of mine bought 2 South Africa hunts at an SCI auction and we had an excellent experience. Since we shot many more animals than were included in the packages, the outfitters probably did OK as well.

We're going to South Africa again in 2008 thanks to another SCI auction. Since I'm not a prophet, I can't yet tell you how that turns out. If it's a good experience, which I believe it will be, I'll let you all know. If it's a bad experience, I'll let you all know as well including the name of the outfitter on the web for all to see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vemo,

I understand your disappointment. SCI hunt "auctions" are rarely straight-forward, transparent donations. There are lots of behind the scenes "deals' on these hunts, and significant arm twisting of the outfitters. It sounds like the hunt you purchased was a "too good to be true" deal. You should be happy you found out now. While you may not have gotten anything (a hunt), it sounds like it didn't cost you anything either. Some of the more dishonoroable outfitters would have simply not performed when the time came for the hunt, and then you would be really screwed. You don't want to go on a hunt where the outfitter feels like he has been screwed before you even show up.

Consider yourself lucky and move on.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote