Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foresters
 Login/Join

posted
I work for a forest company in Sweden. I would like to learn more about forestry and hunting in other countries. So if there are any other foresters on the forum please e-mail me at javc0922@yahoo.com

PCH

Posts: 5 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PCH,

I am a forest engineer. I'm American, but living and working in South Africa right now. I was just in Sweden about a year ago for the forest engineering conference in Vaxjo.

My main areas of expertiese are forest roads and timber harvesting systems, particularly cable logging.

What kind of forestry are you involved in?

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also a forest engineer, a Norwegian one. To work abroad sounds very interessting. My fiels is GIS and computing within the forestry. How is the possibility for me too work outside Norway?

Posts: 25 | Location: Norway, Eastern part | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
jrslate & hva 146,

Good to hear from fellow foresters. I do a bit of everything; harvesting plans, GIS/GPS, silviculture and moose management issues. Used to be into developing and improving CTL harvesting systems. I have a Msc in forestry.

Was the V�xj� conference good? Didn�t go there myself.

Posts: 5 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I am a forester in East Texas working for the Government. My main duties include general forest management and planning - basically scheduling harvests, development and quality assurance for timber inventory and marking contracts, overseeing logging operations, and other duties such as prescribed burning. I have a Bachelor of Science in Forest Wildlife Management and Master of Science in Forestry (thesis was wildlife related).

The Southeast U.S. is a hotbed of forestry in the United States because much of the land is private, there is relatively little interference from the Government concerning environmental issues, and we can grow pine trees like nobody. Have you ever seen sawlogs at 25 yrs? How about 100-120ft site index (Base 50 yrs), which top end but by no means uncommon? That is what is possible from East Texas to the Atlantic Coast, and the infrastructure is first rate for getting products to market. The western U.S. is a hotbed of environmental wackos that seek to limit public use of the vast public lands there .

In school, I was told I would never get rich in Forestry and, to date, that has proven true . I do get to get outside just about whenever I want, for which many city dwellers would pay major dollars. And the benefit package is nice, good insurance and vacation. However, Government red tape is major pain , and I will be lucky if I make it to retirement age. One day I may be able to get into private consulting if my wife's career takes off, but that change will takes lot of courage.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I'd good to see some other forestry professionals on here. I went ahead and took the plunge in 2002 to start my own consulting business, got my professional engineer license, and have done some fun work. I haven't gotten rich, but I've sure seen a lot.

Working overseas is interesting. Forestry in South Africa certainly isn't forestry in Oregon, but it's good to learn some new things.

The Vaxjo conference was ok. Very academic, little in terms of practical applications, but also was a good chance to make some new contacts.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote