Find
Notify
Tools

Hybrid Gaur Hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I was just browsing the web and I came upon hybrid gaur hunts in Texas. I'm just curious if anyone knows more information on these and, more specifically, do they look like gaur or do they look like whatever they're crossed with?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of what they are selling look more like gaur but it can run the whole gamut. It really depends on what the genetic mix of the cross is. Also is it first or second gerneration cross? Is it crossed back with another half breed, 1/4 breed, or crossed with a pure animal. Was it crossed back into its own sire line? Depending on the mix you can get any combination in the pedigree depending on what was crossed and how. As such the traits you cross for will change depending on how far the crossing is done and how far you take it. I am sure there has been a percentage of purity passed into the regulation that only allows an animal to be hunted if it is below a certain percentage pure mix. I really dont know if one was written in or what it is if there is one. It just makes sense to me that it would be that way. Ask the outfitter about how the animals are crossed and if there is any back crossing. Explain why you want to know. I am sure they will freely give you the information and also tell you what to look for.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
In your experience, what are the Gaur typically crossed with?

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
In your experience, what are the Gaur typically crossed with?

I too am curious to know.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember right and I am not sure without going back and finding some paperwork I had they were crossed partially with bison. Just dont hold me to that because it has been a long while and I dont trust my memory without verifying it. Must be another bloody reminder I am not 18 anymorre as if I need one. LOL

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote