New
Find
Notify
Tools

where i hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

pictured above is where i do most of my deer and antelope hunting. it is quite a big area, perhaps 3-3-1/2 miles square.the coulee along the north is great for both species of deer, while antelope can be found on the flats. both species can also be found in the fields. the tear-drop-shaped area of green brush at the eastern end of the coulee (top right) is reddish brown in the fall and we have seen and shot several good bucks there. my son shot his first buck there last year in that patch of brush:

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
You can't possibly be that ignornat? Posting your hunting spot on the internet and showing the exact coordinates? I'm hoping that you're just trying to throw people off. Wink

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mostly private land....Big Grin

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
but, now that you mention it....... sofa

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
PHEW... good thing you took the cords off. Big Grin

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank the lord not Dillon MT

what happened in dillon? invaded by the Kali Kommandos?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks a lot like my backyard. thumb

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY nice area, where I hunt it's much more populated and crowded.

Congratulations to your son and his deer. Mine is 10 now and being outdoors with him I really enjoy a lot. Letting him shoot and hunt is not easy over here because of our legal situation and the population density.

However, our woods are thicker than your open landscape and not everything that happens there is visible to others.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DUK -

there's nothing that compares with a father and son enjoying a day at the lake or in the field. those are times and memories that will be carried by both father and son to the grave.

north-central montana is not known for its forests, of course, but just a few hundred yards east of the area shown above is a nice river bottom that is thick with cottonwood trees and a great place to hunt whitetail deer with a .30/30 or similar cartridge. on your google earth, take a look at the area just south and southwest of chinook, montana and you can see it.

if you go about 20 miles south and southwest of that, you get into a nice mountain range called the bear paw mountains, which is my idea of heaven.

if you and your boy ever find yourselves in montana, let me know and i'll introduce you to the area.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks a lot like my backyard.

plainview -

i know what you mean - about a quarter-mile north of that image is my parents' place Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
You can't possibly be that ignornat? Posting your hunting spot on the internet and showing the exact coordinates? I'm hoping that you're just trying to throw people off. Wink

No coordinates, but those of us who've hunted that area before may have an idea of where it is...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14373 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tasunka,

verz true what you said about hunting with your children or, in the first place introducing them to the sport. In our case it is my son who has caught the fever, the daughters are not so much interested, even though the older one is an excellent shot.

This is the area where we started hunting this year in the Black Forest, there is roe deer, wild boar and sometimes red stag even though I still have to see one. They seem to come a little later in teh year when it gets colder. There are also snipe, ducks and, on very rare occasion the Black Grouse which is close to extinction in this area. The place is about 85 minutes drive from where I live, still a convenient distance.

The lease holder is an older gentleman and the last months we worked a lot, cutting lanes, reparing high houses, sawing food plots and other chores. After work, some marksman's training with the .22 l.r. is due, I admit that I start to enjoy these outings more than hunting for trophies. A picture of junior's first crow you find on that page.

I you ever come over here, just let me know and I'd be happy to show you the area.

one of us
posted Hide Post
very beautiful country, DUK, and a very happy boy with his first crow! congratulations! thumb

it is my ambition to visit germany one day. i was born in wurzburg and we "came back home" to the US when i was only a month or so old, so i only have a handful of old pictures to see what it was like. my ancestry is also mostly german, so for me it would be a homecoming.

if i'm ever there, i'll be sure to let you know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great idea, I recall we had some time ago discussed an AR meeting in Verdun to visit the museum and battle site, this is only a couple of hours away, so for you westerners basically in the same neigbourhood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
beer