New
Find
Notify
Tools

nesika actions for hunting rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I played with a nesika actioned varmint rifle at a gun show a while back and now I'm trying to decide if i should buy one for a hunting rifle or if i should use a sako 75 stainless instead. Any opinions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Borden, a well known benchrest/accuracy gunsmith uses a variant of the Nesika action on the hunting rifles he builds...both for little critters and bigger game like moose etc...they are very accurate. Having said that I think I would prefer, for a big-game rifle, an action such as the McMillan MCRT or the action that Ed Brown makes...these are very high quality custom actions made for hunting rifles...McMillan's is similar to the Rem 700 while Brown's is closer to the Winchester 70 and while neither is inexpensive I think they are worth it. John Lazzeroni uses the McMillan on his custom rifle line. I have two of the MCRTs and absolutely love them.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

There is on "slight" difference between a nesika and a sako in price. My pick of the two should be the nesika. I suggest that you take a look at McBros and Ed Brown. What it all depends on is how much $$$$ you have to spend. I owuld have picked McBros, Ed Brown and Nesika rather than a sako 75, but this is just me. Good LUCK

I got a reply from the Brown's today. Two weeks left untill my action arrives. DB Bill you seem to have a good taste regarding rifles. What is the cambering ??
I eny you because of the MCRT rifles. I will get one soon.

JOHAN

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 02-09-2002).]

<Jeff in ND>
posted
I used a Nesika K repeater for my 257DGR. I have only had it for about 9 months but so
far love it.

However, I would not use the HS Precision Magazine again. It works fine but this is the only rifle I own with a removable magazine and I prefer the Rem BDL type.

Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

<Tigar>
posted
I have a Nesika action 300 Dakota that I've used for hunting in CO and MT the past two years - I love it. I've taken deer and elk with it and it has performed great in the field (all weather, quick follow-up shots etc.). I can't wait to use one to build another gun on. I've heard they are also working on a controlled-feed version if you are looking in the direction of dangerous game eventually (although I don't want to be a fieldtester in that department).

I looked at several of the other custom actions and they may be great, but personally, many of them just seemed like Remington 700s, modified enough to call it a custom action, and some cost quite a bit more than the Nesika. My take was why not use one with a proven benchrest pedigree (so you know it's extremely accurate), as long as it was practical for hunting.

I know a few gunsmiths that build a lot of hunting rifles on them and have for years and their clients have nothing but praise for them. Nesika also has a lot of good info at their website and have been great to talk to on the phone. I would obviously recommend them, but I'm also sure some of the others are good choices too. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN...my first is a an original Lazzeroni in 9.53 HellCat...they use the short MCRT action. The second is a rifle I had put together by a custom 'smith using components I supplied based on the short MCRT action also..it is a Lazzeroni Patriot (.308)...the reason I didn't get a factory rifle was I wanted to try a new barrel with a radical gain-twist.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
DB Bill
nice set up for hunting. Do you have any pic's on them? We love to see.

Jeff in ND is your rifle with the drop bolt. I have looked at nesika website and there are a bizillion of options. What is the options on your rifle. Do you think it's worth the $$. Is it a Brown stock on your rifle. What is a 257 DGR?

Cheers
JOHAN

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 02-09-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff what kind of a sling set up is that?Who did the rifle?How does it shot?

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Jeff in ND>
posted
My Action is a Nesika K with the following options:
Repeater
Recoil Lug (pinned)
Pinned Trigger (No Hanger)
Rear Tang ground to Reminton Profile.
Drop Bolt (You need this if you like your scope mounted low).

Stock is a High Tech Specilities (Rem 700 SA)

Scope is a Leupold 4.54X14X40 with Premiere Reticle Mil Dot.

Rings are Leupold double dovetail

Bases are Leupold, you have to buy to sets as the Nesika uses the spacing of the Rem front base for the front and rear.

Trigger is a tuned Reminton.

Sling is a Ching Sling 3 point shooting sling.

Here is a link to more info on the 257DGR,
http://www.duanesguns.com

The 257DGR is based on a 243Win or 260Rem, necked to 25 caaliber and shoulder pushed back just enough to make the shoulder 30 degrees. Preformance is a bit above the 250 Ackley Improved.

Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

Forgot to say, My rifle was built by Duane Spooner of Duane's Guns (Link above). It shoot very well so far. Loads with various bullets are grouping from .19" to .9" (3 shot). I got it late last summer and did not have time to fine tune a load for peak accuracy but the 3 deer an 1 coyote I shoot with it last fall couldn't tell the differnce.

I expect to find a load with the bullet I want (70 or 80 gr Starke RPVB's), at the velocity I want, and it will shoot consistently @ or under .5" 5 shot groups if I am up to the task.

That is what my other 2 DGR rifles do and they are only on Rem actions:-) Actually my 223Rem DGR rifle is a .25" rifle or better and my 243AI is @ the .5 to .75" range depending on the load.

[This message has been edited by Jeff in ND (edited 02-10-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are really nifty rifles...go to the Lazzeroni web-page at www.lazzeroni.com and take a look at the short-action rifles. Both of mine look like those except the stocks have some color to them...if you look under customer results you can see some of the trophies I took with my HellCat.

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by pallladium2506:
I played with a nesika actioned varmint rifle at a gun show a while back and now I'm trying to decide if i should buy one for a hunting rifle or if i should use a sako 75 stainless instead. Any opinions?

Certainly if you have the budget, you could do worse then a Nesika bay action as the basis for a custom rifle. I built up one on a Model J short action, w/ pinned recoil lug, jewel trigger, LV taper fluted barrel w/ fast 1-8 twist, chambered for 6mmBR, single shot, McMillan A-2 tactical stock. I love the rifle. AFIK there is no Jewel trigger for an M75 action. The stock Sako trigger is good but it's no Jewel. That would be one reason to go to the NB action. Another would simply be workmanship. The NB actions are works of art, extremely smooth and as one of my friends commented, "orgasmic". The Jim Borden inspired eliptical bands on the bolt reduce bolt play tolerance to .001". That's pretty cool.

A friend also built a rifle on a stainless M700 long action (.25-06) that is setup similar to mine (jewel, A-4 stock, etc). It honestly performs as well as it would had he chosen to build it on a NB action.

If you have the means, by all means go for the Nesika Bay. You'll never look back and wish you had done it using the Sako M75, I guarantee that.

Regards,
re5513