Find
Notify
Tools

Review on a cheap trail cam......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I decided to buy a couple of cheap trail cameras to place at a few spots around the camp. Something I wouldn't have top worry about being stolen but, would give an idea of what is hitting certain food plots or scrape lines.

I purchased two of the Wild View .3 MP cameras. You can find them at Walmart for $49. I bought a few SD cards as well to swap out when checking the cams.

I set both cameras on the back porch at the house to test them and over 3 days they each took around 30-35 pictures. Not the best in the world but more than enough to get an idea of what's in the area.

They are not the fastest in terms of trigger time but they will trip from 3-7 seconds. On a scrape, a feeder, or a plot they should be fine.

It also rained on the cameras and neither had any moisture inside.

Here's 3 pictures from each camera:

Not too bad for the price if any of you are looking for a cheap camera that you don't have to worry about being stolen.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not bad at all, and for the price. I would hate to have a more expensive one and have some dipshit steal it. Thanks for sharing, I have wanted one for quite a while and for the yard to! I have deer that come and go in the dark. One has a pretty big track and I would love to see it.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have them dogs coming to bait pretty well.

What kind of lasps is there in the trigger time? I've been thinking about getting one of two of these for my farm to see whats around, but like you didn't want to get something to expensive as I've had stands stolen from the property.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Ivan, Yep, they don't seem to miss many meals, I had to switch them to weight control Iams and they are still pretty healthy.

The time delay seems to vary. There's a little led that blinks when motion is detected and it has ranged from 3-7 seconds to the time of the picture. 7 seconds was the worst delay I timed on one of the cameras but, it seemed to do it faster at other times.

These will work fine on a feeder, a scrape, or a plot where the deer stand for a few seconds.

These are not the best by any means but, for a unit that you will not lose much when stolen, it's not a bad idea. To me, buying a $500 trail camera is totally out of the question. I don't want to enter a photo contest, I just want to see what's in the area.

Hopefully they'll last a while, time will tell. They do come with a one year warranty.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. I actually didn't realize there were any available at that low of a price. I guess it's time to get a couple of them.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 different brands of game cameras. Leaf River @ $300, Moultree 3.1 @$129 from Natchez, and the Wildview for $49 at Wal Mart. I've had to send the Leaf River unit back to the factory twice for repairs in 3 years. The Moultree is probably my favorite as you can use a 1 gig disk and a rechargable battery and solar charger. It keeps excellent time, temp. and moon phase. I usually get 1,700 plus pix a month from this unit. Its great for patterning game. 've used it continuously for two years. Both the leaf river and moultree take excellent pictures day and night. However, for $50 for the camera and $20 for a sd card, the Wildview is an excellent value. Left one for two months at a feeder recently and got 2,000 pix on an 512 meg card. Night shots tend to be a little bit grainy, but are good enough to see whats coming to the feeder. Ive had the wild view in continuous operation for the last six months.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote