New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose as Excess Baggage?
 Login/Join

<M70>
posted
In a recent conversation with the outfitter that I have booked a moose hunt with, I have been informed that this outfitter no longer provides service in shipping of the trophy or meat.

I will need to provide my own containers, get the choice parts of the meat forzen, and bring along enough packing to proctec the antlers for the return flight from Anchorage to Los Angeles, as Excess Baggage.

Since I have either driven to, or hunted out fo the country (Africa & such), where the outfitter has either handled the shipment of the trophy, or I have had the meat quick frozen/processed and brought it home in the back of my truck, I'm new to the "Excess Baggage" idea.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to take along to make the "Excess Baggage" concept work.

Or, has anyone shipped their gear and/or meat back to home through such as FedEx or UPS?

A clean bill of health from my doctor means that I leave Thurs, Sept 6.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Good hunting,
Dale (M70)

<Don G>
posted
Try a different outfitter.

Don

<M70>
posted
Don,

I won't use them again. Unfortunately, it is too late to be changing outfitters. I've got to make the best of the situation and have a good hunt. Hopefully, bring home a good trophy and some excellent meat.

M70

[This message has been edited by M70 (edited 09-03-2001).]

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Bummer.
Take some empty 12/10 guage plastic hulls along and tape one over the point of each antler tine with the roll of duct tape you also brought along. Wrap the skull in plastic garbage bags and duct tape. Ship the antlers loose like this and hope they don't break in the airliner cargo hold. Have proper documentation/tags attached and have your taxidermist make up some tags with shipping address/ID, or just attach your own. There are no customs hassles going from the U.S. to the U.S. as you are.

Buy some of the large (hold about 80 pounds) waxed cardboard meat shipping boxes in Anchorage on your way out. There is a meat processor/butcher shop on Northern Lights Boulevard, or the next street over, close to Seward Highway in Anchorage that should be selling them. They can also help with freezing and shipping on the way back, dry ice, etc.

You can always give away that delicious moose meat in Alaska. The State Troopers will see that it gets to an orphanage or institution if all else fails. Shipping a whole moose home will be expensive. You can share.

Just my thoughts, anybody else?

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Purty good advice RAB! Cut up pieces of garden hose will protect those points too.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<William E. Tibbe>
posted
M70

You surely do not want to shop excess baggage. Nor FedEx or UPS at ripoff rates.

Try some of the Alaskan airlines such as Evergreen and ship AIR CARGO.

http://www.evergreenaviation.com/

You may phone them of fill out their quotation form. They usually respond vie E-mail in less than 24 hours.

Air cargo is not all that expensive all things considered.

Good Luck

Kendall Dace

<M70>
posted
KD

Thanks for the info on Evergreen. I have E-mailed them to see what they can do.

Thanks to all for your help.

I have ordered (from a local wharehouse) some PVC tubing (for the antlers), will bring along a 6'X 8' plastic tarpe, large trash bags, and lots of duct tape.
Now all I have to do if find the moose.

Good hunting,
Dale (M70)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Over on www.24hourcampfire.com on the Big Game board there was a conversation just like this last year and some of the local Alaska crew said there is a place at one of the major airports that will pack your meat and antlers for shipping. Try giving it a lokk. I'll post the question so they can be answering while you get signed up!

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shipped meat and trophies home from Alaska twice. I agree with both the garden hose tubing for the antler points ( I cut up an old garden hose) and the waxed boxes are the best. If you are staying over in Anchorage to do some sight seeing a hotel will freeze the meat. The airlines will ship the meat boxes as excess baggage. This is less expensive than fed ex or ups and the meat arrives with you. Good Luck on your trip.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
M70,

I feel your pain, but there might be a solution for your shipping problem. If your flying to Anchorage via Alaska Airlines, it probably will be just as easy to use Alaska Airlines AirCargo. And from what I understand they fly into SoCal. Shouldn't cost you more then a buck a pound. While your in Anchorage, buy one or two 150 qt coolers from Fred Meyer, Wall-Mart. Oh, by the way good luck -

I'm off to Yakutat, AK, Sept. 20th. for moose and brownies, and the only ride in and out of Juneau to Yakutat is Alaska Airlines. We're doing the cooler thing also! Good luck, and send some e-pictures to this page- I will be sending some pictures also if I get something to brag about. Good hunting!

CK

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ronl>
posted
2 years ago I took a moose in Alaska. I split the skull cap, taped garden hose on the tips, stacked the 2 horns on top of each other with cardboard in between, and taped cardboard around the outside held in place with duct tape. The whole thing weighed about 60 pounds and they flew it as extra baggage. I also brought an extra duffel bag and flew home 70 pounds of back strap and tenderloin which I froze at the hotel before coming home. The meat was placed in trash compactor bags before being frozen and wrapped in clothes and a sleeping bag. The meat was still frozen 12 hours later. This cost me $50.00 x 2 = $100.00 which was much cheaper than flying the the meat as air cargo. I could not bring the whole moose home but 70 pounds was more than enough.

Good Luck

Ron L