Find
Notify
Tools

Is Ross Seyfreid an idiot?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
OK, so I'm new and more of an 'armchair' collector and hunter/shooter, but I've got a contribution to this Topic late in the thread:

Gunwriters.
Ross Seyfried is one of most enjoyable I've ever read.
I ESPECIALLY LIKED the article he did a while back about a Remington 700 in .416 Rem. that was set up ugly as Sin and reliable as an anvil, CRF be damned!
He inspired me to keep my Remingtons and not be so concerned with that 'feed' controversy.
I've got a lot more reading to do and even more experience to get, however -

I'll mention three writers that I love to read and who grate on my nerves...

Jon Sundra:
His thing is 7mm and fixed 6x scopes. I can't disagree there, as I think he's pretty savvy on his opinion of those.
The thing that really irritates me is how he's gone on many times about how an autoloader isn't a gun for 'rifle cranks', yet he did an article on the Remington 7400 stating that it's as accurate as most bolt-actions and the 'perfect deer rifle'. SO? Which one is it, Jon?

Boddington:
His thing is 'speed/bore-size' and 'frontal area'.
Constantly making sideways remarks about the 7mm/.30, usually denegrating the 7mm because it lacks 'frontal area'.
Constantly espousing the virtues of the 'fast mediums', aka, the .338 Win.Mag. as just about the best thing since sliced bread, when the 'frontal area' difference is MORE between the .338 and .375 than it is between the 7mm/.30.
YET, he'll 'never look back' when he reaches for his .375 H&H.
SO? Which is it, Craig? The .338 that'll 'fly flatter longer and penetrate until next week', OR the .375 H&H?
CRF or PF? Don't get me started on THAT one.
Drives me NUTS.

Chuck Taylor - Combat Master Of The Universe.
Prolifically .45 GLOCK.
Great articles on using the Remington 700 VS/7mm Rem.Mag. for a low-budget Tactical Rifle, though.

I respect all of these Gentlemen and love to read their articles, even though I'm inexperienced.
They have provided me with plenty of information with which to base my UNqualified opinions! [Razz]

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Seyfried took the time out of his day, about 26 years ago to talk to a young gun nut at the time, that was hemming and hawing about buying a 45 Seville/Linebaugh from John Linebaugh. Mr. Seyfried spent pretty near 45 minutes explaining the merits of 45 colt, heavy loads, and how, using one of John L.'s Seville's, he killed a Cape Buffalo with it. Listening to the stalking, and shooting of that bachelor bull remains one of the highlights of my 2nd amendment involvement.
I was amazed, since I called out of no where, and Mr. Seyfried had no idea who I was, but he took the time to go through it with me(Linebaugh told me to call him, and tell him that Linebaugh had told him to talk to me about the gun).

http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh/page3.htm

I think all of us are a product of our experiences.

Ray, ask Mr. Seyfried if the 585 Nyati didn't sort of come out of almost getting killed by the cape buffalo he shot with the above 6 gun?

Always wondered about that.

There are certain people I really listen too. Ray is one, Ross Seyfried has always been another.
John Linebaugh, John Taffin, Paco Kelly, Lee Juras,Hamilton Bowen, Dave Clements are a few of the others.

If they have an opinion, or position on something, I reevaluate my own position, and think that perhaps I better have another look.

Ross had built a couple rifles I would have done differently. His mile distance project would, I think, have been better served using the 50 BMG.

His Nyati is great, but I don't think I'm going to stand in line to shoot one.

Still, thank God for the diversity we have in this world, and that a number of people can have different opinions about different things, and that we can have many options.

What a dull world if everyone agreed John Browning was right, and all we need are 45 ACP,
30-06, and the 50 BMG, along with a 30 caliber machine gun.

Different opinions give us the variety of calibers we have, and that is a wonderful thing, along with the variety of guns avaliable.

I'm old enough to remember when 44 special was pretty much only 44 remmington lead bullet loads that crawled, and cost 20 bucks a box, in 1980.

That was it. No other factory ammo avaliable.

Our diversity of opinion is our nation's greatest strength, and, our countries founding corner stone, the First Amendment.

Orion can call Ross an idiot, and disagree with him. That's fine.

I certainly don't agree with either his personal attack, and, I'll have to think about what Ross said about magazines, and stripper clips.

Liking an old Mauser sounds like a natural for anyone in this forum, so that one is a give me.
[Wink]

Still, I'm glad Saeed believes in our First Amendment more then most of us do.

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfried was the best writer for Guns and Ammo. His writing there is deeply missed. Is he writng for another magazine now, I tought he was retired. [Razz]

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo busdriver-You don't seem to a grasp on what editors have their writers do. All articles are chosen by the editors and the writer is to do the article as ordered. All the character assassinations with your petty opinions on whatever limited knowledge don't seem to help you. You have no idea what a STRAIGHT UP GUY Chuck Taylor is. His integrity is above reproach. He is one of the few shooter writers who have seen the elephant and survived because of dedicated training. I was on the quest to be the best shooter with my 1911A1 and learned from Chuck Taylor and other Jeff Cooper disciples. That was 25 yrs ago and my cocked and locked 1911A1 will always be there along with the newer Glock 21 also in 45 ACP for P.O.S.T.

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
Yo busdriver-You don't seem to a grasp on what editors have their writers do. All articles are chosen by the editors and the writer is to do the article as ordered. All the character assassinations with your petty opinions on whatever limited knowledge don't seem to help you. You have no idea what a STRAIGHT UP GUY Chuck Taylor is. His integrity is above reproach. He is one of the few shooter writers who have seen the elephant and survived because of dedicated training. I was on the quest to be the best shooter with my 1911A1 and learned from Chuck Taylor and other Jeff Cooper disciples. That was 25 yrs ago and my cocked and locked 1911A1 will always be there along with the newer Glock 21 also in 45 ACP for P.O.S.T.

Well, there you go shootin' down my theory that people on this board aren't insulting... [Razz]
My response is in good will, even though I don't take a slap standing still, OK? [Big Grin]

Yo, 475Guy,
So, that's the way the articles are written?
I had no idea it was the gunwriter merely doing the editor's bidding, only in their words.
Now, thanks to YOU, I have a grasp on this.

I was not 'assassinating' anyones character, Sir.
I was just 'sharing' my confusion at what was and is written.
Maybe it's confusing because the editors are telling them what to do...(see above).
I love to read what is written by these gunwriters, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.
No doubt they are all straight up folks.

My opinions are not petty; your insults are.
I admitted my limited knowledge/experience because I'm not a pretender.
How else does the novice learn?
Certainly not by joining a board to be put down by the 'most experienced'.
Maybe our teaching styles are different.

I'm not here to be attacked or pretend to be something I'm not.
I'm here to share my 'limited knowledge' and learn from those that have 'unlimited knowledge'.
Perhaps I can share something with you about what being a 'Master' is all about:

http://www.suarezinternational.com/master.html

�Sometimes a teacher, but ALWAYS a student�.

[ 07-23-2003, 16:28: Message edited by: BusMaster007 ]

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yo busdriver-You don't seem to a grasp on what editors have their writers do. All articles are chosen by the editors and the writer is to do the article as ordered.

Not necessarily -- more true for staff writers than freelance. Freelancers spend a lot of time pitching their own articles or ideas.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do agree with Ross in that I don't like a detachable magazine on a rifle. However, for those that do I say go to it. As for boat tail bullets Ross is simply right. The boat tail does nothing good for a bullet used at any sensable range on game animals. The bullet may still perform well but in spite of and not because of the boat tail.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
I think Ross was writing the article as a tribute to a another great gun writer. Certainly, that speaks volumes. The gun in question can stand on its own merits.

I know Ross personally and a bit on the professional side. On top of that, I have read nealy everything that has come from his pen in the last 21 years.

Instead of restating the obvious, I default to what Ray Atkinson has put in plain English and completely agree.

redleg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Busdriver-It doesn't one bit what you say or what I say. You obviously have your opinions based on somebody's writings or experiences. I have no problem with Gabe as he is also above reproach. He and Chuck were fellow instructors when Ignatius Piazza was starting up Front Sight Academy quite a few years. Since you are so sensitive, don't throw out opinions like Garret does. Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to read Ross Seyfried. I don't like the "en bloc" stripper or other clip systems. The lack of ability to "top off" and the total inability to use your rifle in areas that restrict you to three rounds make these rifles useless paperweights. Of course, as I am also a mechanic, I could just make my own clips for three rounds, but then that would keep me from whining and that's what I post on these forums for, in the first place.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yo Busdriver-It doesn't one bit what you say or what I say. You obviously have your opinions based on somebody's writings or experiences. I have no problem with Gabe as he is also above reproach. He and Chuck were fellow instructors when Ignatius Piazza was starting up Front Sight Academy quite a few years. Since you are so sensitive, don't throw out opinions like Garret does. Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

This medium is difficult to deal in when it comes to knowing what people are really like, so if it's OK with you, I'll try to make things a little more clear as to why and how I got my opinions and the little experience I do have: [Wink]

I'm not only 'sensitive', I'm indignant; sarcastic; calculating; and sometimes a real asshole...all characteristics necessary in my line of work. [Big Grin] BTW, who's Garret?

Look, I'm not attempting to get into a pissing match with anyone.
My opinions have been based on what the gunwriters wrote and I read until I dropped the magazines on my face falling asleep.
I HAD to read to get ideas for what I wanted to buy and use.
I'm not totally dependent on the opinions and experiences of others; I've managed to get some of my own volition.

My lack of experience is more from working my butt off and building seniority until I finally got weekends off.
Then, I've got two precious daughters and a wife to support and give time to, besides spending time and money buying firearms I hope to be able to use on hunting vacations when I get more weeks off.

I got to go hunting for the first time in 2000.
Didn't get anything, but, I went. Can't wait to see if I can go this year.
I've gone shooting dozens of times over the years; joined the ranges, the NRA, belong to a few 'clubs', etc.
This has been a long time in the making and the reason I spend time on the internet in Forums such as this.
It is one way to learn from other good people about their experiences and choices in order to better form my own.
I don't disrespect anyone for having what they have, nor do I put them down.

One of the best things I've learned is to encourage the ones who are interested and let things take their course.
I always recommend getting a gun magazine for the ones showing interest, so, they, too, can start to recognize names, jargon, etc.
When I got my first gun magazine, I was HOOKED.
It's only gotten more interesting and expensive from there! [Smile]

So that's all there is to it.
I'm a regular guy with an extraordinary interest in firearms, that hopes to one day get to use them in their intended environments (according to me, of course).

It's taken a long time to sort out the confusion foisted on the gunrag readers for me to make my 'informed decisions'.
Practical use is just around the corner.

Hopefully, that cleared things up a bit.
I think this is one of the best Forums around.
Thanks for laughing at me or with me, either way!

[ 07-25-2003, 07:53: Message edited by: BusMaster007 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks for your input. [Roll Eyes]