New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell the truth!!!!
 Login/Join

<Orion>
posted
All hunters out there,Have you ever been poaching!?
Waidmansheil!
Martin

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion:
All hunters out there,Have you ever been poaching!?
Waidmansheil!
Martin

I don�t need to as my hunting area is big enough. And poachers should be considered as thieves of game.

Fritz

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
No, but ive arrested a few.......10

<Jeff S>
posted
I made breakfast last weekend for a group of bowhunters that came out to my spread to chase ole' mossyhorns. Main course was eggs benedict with a champagne hollandaise sauce. And yes, I poached the eggs...is there any other way?

<JohanW>
posted
Orion
A German down Under.
Penalties for poaching here is so high, you forget the word poaching all together.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Penalties for poaching are pretty high here as well, loose guns and truck/vehicle, get fined, banned from hunting for a period of time up to life, they print the embarrassing facts in GON(GA Outdoor News).

I don't know anyone who was ever caught doing this so I don't know if you get your stuff back or not, I would imagine not.

Mike

P.S. We have a hotline to turn them in 1-800-POACHER

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Not since I was 11. Not consciously, anyway. Damn near shot a sage grouse out of season last weekend while sharptail hunting, but luckily yanked the shot just in time.

Sometimes the regs get so confusing it is hard to know them well enough to follow them all.

Technically, I've poached. I've punched a tag the wrong way. That makes it an illegal animal. I've shot a deer before "legal shooting light" by a minute or two -- sorry, I'm not a computer, and I don't memorize the solunar tables. If was a clean and safe shot. I managed to hunt upland birds without a validation ($1.50 worth) one year. If that makes me a poacher, suppose I am one. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I managed to knock down an entire covy(is that right?) of Hungarian Partridge with a single shot. It put me two over my daily limit. I took them all home and ate them. What are you going to do?

Aside from that episode, I hunt fair chase all the time.

Now, I've heard stories over the years of guys taking monster bucks at night - which is illegal in the US - but I view these people as talent-less slobs who lack the bush skills necessary to take game. They have no pride or love for the art of hunting, and I view them as LESSER PEOPLE.

In addition, the poacher often endangers others. On many occasions I've had people sneak up to my setup while turkey hunting. On the one hand, I'm embarassed for them, but on the other, I'm infuriated by them. They are just another thing to watch out for - and the majority of turkey hunting accidents (as rare as they are) are caused by these idiots. I MAKE IT A POINT TO GIVE THESE CLOWNS A PIECE OF MY MIND - and that's how any poacher should be treated.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
If you count minutes after last light, which is still damn bright here in PA, yeah I have.

So after hunting all day, watching and waiting, changing positions, so I can nail one late in the day on the way to feed in a corn field, does that make me a poacher?

I mean, I'm not talking a half hour late, I'm talking, sighting an animal before the close of hunting on a given day, but taking a while to get it into position where I want to take the shot, and yeah that might be 10 minutes, even 15 after the closing minutes of that day, so am I a poacher?

Please, you tell me. To me, I did everything right, the hunt doesn't end by the clock, it ends by last light if I'm judging it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1LoneWolf,

What I'm talking about is the guys who take bucks in public parks after sunset with a highpower - while in a shotgun only county.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We should know never send anything you don't want some one else to see.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<texas_hunter>
posted
Not only is the answer no, but "h*ll no". (grin)

In fact it neve ronce crossed my mind.

Fair play is fair play. JMHO.

Tex

<heavy varmint>
posted
I once new an old man that is gone now but he was a poacher, that is that he would hunt out of season though I never new him to hunt at night. He was a child during the great depression and him and the rest of his family depended on wild game and a big garden to survive. When he grew up he had a large family of his own and though he was not lazy he never seemed to have much so I guess thats why his hunting out of season kept going till he died. Our laws here allow for 2 bucks during rifle season and I can remember him asking a game warden how in the world they expected him to feed his family all year with 2 deer. I enjoyed listining to this mans stories and he also taught me a lot although I have never poached and am strictly against it I new his reasons and would never put him in the same catagory as modern poachers.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
When we were young, (10-15) we used to take 2-3 week trips into the mountains. We would always pack plenty of food, but it was hiking food- nothing fresh.

When you've been living on freeze dried whatnot for a week, and you're still a week or two away from the nearest burger joint, it's amazing what you'll do for fresh meat. Like kill grouse with rocks, and rabbits with snares. We'd also fish the rivers for trout. That stuff tasted SO good. None of us had hunting licenses, but we all had fishing licenses (Minors).

This is the extent of my poaching career. If your objective is to shoot a deer in a spotlight, I have to ask you what the point is?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
Still this portrait of the "starving guy just out to feed his family" exist's when it comes to describing poacher's. No matter when a thread like this surfaces there is always the "starving guy out to feed his family".

No insult to heavy varmint, Im sure there's one or two "Old depression guy's" around.

But ask any game cop, anywhere in the US, ask him what the portrait of the actual poacher is ?

You will find that its a male/16 to 40 yo/high on something/out for a cheap thrill. This type of guy ,who makes up the vast majority of poacher's, probably throw's away more food then he eat's, like the rest of us in this country.

Most poacher's have an extensive history of it, they simply dont give a damn. They dont give a damn about you ; They dont give a damn about me, our kids, the game, the future of hunting. They simply dont give a damn!

There is way to much acceptance among sport hunter's with this type of critter tho I believe things are improving. And Im not talking about the guy who unknowingly shoots a duck 4 min's after closeing ; Im talking about the guy who would crawl into a refuge and shoot waterfowl at 0300,with a .22, after the Bar's close.

"To feed his family",hahah. Even people on welfare in the US throw away more food then they eat..........10

<257 AI>
posted
I agree with 10Point. There are people who pay lots of money to sneak into Rocky Mtn National Park and Dinosaur National Monument to shoot a big buck. They know what they're doing is illegal but they just have to have that big buck. These are not the kind of people that are doing this for a meal. I don't consider shooting an animal a couple of minutes before or after proper time poaching.

------------------
When in doubt, empty the magazine.

<heavy varmint>
posted
10point,
No offense taken at all, I do realize that I'm the only one here that ever new the man I'm talking about, but believe me when I say this guy did'nt waist much of anything and he would have never went on welfare no matter how bad things got. I,like you doubt that he allways had to hunt for his familys food but you got to think that people never seem to stray to far from there upbringing. I'm in no way saying that poaching is right and I do realize that 99.9 percent of poachers do not need or maybe not even want to eat the animal but I honestly believe that in this mans mind as long as the meat was being used there was nothing wrong with it so yes there are still a few, very few, that are feeding there families. You also have to consider were I'm from has never exactly had a thriving economy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<rlineb>
posted
been hunting for 15 to 18 years,2 years with a hunting license,so if that will tell you anything,hunt on sundays too...i'm not bad,i'm just practical,hunting licenses along with drivers licenses(insurance fees,registration fees,etc.) are just a money racket(true),all serious BS in my opinion...the bible(even though i dont believe in alot of it,says man takes precedence over lesser animals)i hunt when i want,where i want,how i want,no excess taking of game being done,plus i know all of the local/state wildlife/game warden radio freqs.,including surveillance(car to car short range,including scrambled) freqs.(all codes,etc),plus all tactics used due to previous law enforcement experience and expert knowledge of electronics(freq.counters,radio transmitter transmit/receive radiation technology,etc)(everything runs off a frequency,"true statement",including our own thoughts,bodily reflexes,all electrical,just a true thought),so i'm pretty well covered in being "caught"hunting out of bounds......good technology that could be passed onto anyone wanting to get away with "alot" of stuff.well about everything based upon my training and experience(i mean anything and everything)......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah well you don't seem so well covered when it comes to incriminating statements, e mail adresses and IP numbers.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
Yeah 1894, that's true, however, I don't feel I have anything to hide.

Truth is, if someone is embarrassed to print their behavior, then there is something morally wrong with that behavior.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rlineb,
Also having more than a casual knowledge of electronics, I must say that....Yes all of the precautions you are speaking of can be taken to reduce the chance of being caught. However, the expense of the equipment and effort required to accomplish this, far outweighs the $20 permit and decent set of morals (the other part of the bible) it takes to do things by the book.

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love to hear these "Just feeding my Family" Excuses. Problem is the guy thats generally telling it to me has booze on his breath and one of those two dollar a pack butts in his mug. Moderate your drinking, gambling, smoking, junk food buying, etc, etc and you could probably exist like the majority of us....within the law. The excuse is too easy and too convenient for them though.

I have a local who fits the mould...."just feeding my family". This may be his year to finally get caught. The evidence is mounting at an alarming rate. With he and his two miserable male offspring getting very sloppy lately.

These slobs steal from all of us. No different than a gas drive off or grabbing your kids bike out of the front yard, theft is theft.

Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<rlineb>
posted
well anything put on here could be all constructed "hear-say",didn't say i was poaching or anything like that,around the house varmints are not counted or something that is included in the state hunting regulations,plus anything hunted on your own property is to my knowledge "takeable" year round with no hunting license,same thing with fishing laws,fish on your own land or someones land that you know(with the right criteria)and no license is needed for that also.thats why some of the local personally owned hunting camps/preserves that stock exotic animals or animals naturally there let you pay to hunt during any given time of the year..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose I was raised in a different time and a different place than most...

I was raised on big Texas and old Mexico dessert ranches of about 100,000 acres or more. We( family and friends ) grew up shooting deer and antelope because we made a liveing on cattle at 9 cents a pound...Made about 500 pounds of deer/pork sauage every year for 3 families, and never thought much about eating anything else.

Fried deer meat, pinto beans, gravy, biscuits and pico de Gayo was just a way of life, every evening meal.. it was private land and deer weren't worth anything and were scarce, probably from over hunting. We were just comming out of the great depression and money was scarce..

We gave the Federales (Forestales) on the Mexican side a sack of shotgun shells, carton of 22 LR ammo and some sugar every year and that took care of that..

Then one day people started paying to shoot deer on our land, $50 per deer, and that put the brakes on our hunting and our eating habits..It took me a year to develope a taste for beef.. suddenly deer were worth more than cattle...

I have no apoligeses to make, it was a way of life, excepted by all as far as I know..noone thought much about it...

Times changed about 1950 and I have not, nor would I poach again, but I sure ain't going to lie about it, and to tell you the truth I'd give anything to go back in time and do it all over again. It was a hard but damn good life...Guess me an Charley Askins are just a couple of unrepentent sinners.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The thing that gets me about these "poach to eat" bozos is that they, for some reason, inevitably shoot the trophy bucks with high dollar guns, instead of rabbits with a 22 or a good eating button buck with a 30/30.

Never could figure that out.

Sorry, pet peeve. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Sika>
posted
When I was a kid, me and a friend would wait to one of our parents went out to dinner or something, and we'd be off with the bows to get some rabbits, squirrels, ducks, whatever. We'd make a fire and roast them up. Both our families had big farms and lots of woods. It was usually summer, so we were poaching, but we didn't care, we were having fun. I've also never bothered to look into that "half hour before/after sunrise" business, if it's light enough, I shoot. Other than that, I'd turn someone in in a second for shooting with a spotlight, or gun in bow season. I guess I'm a hypocrite, but it makes sense to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think this counts . . . but my second zebra was taken this year after I was repeatedly reassured by my PH that there was another on concession. I didn't find out until about 2 days later that we were over by one. OOPS! S.A.N.P. must not have been too thrilled about that one! My pseudonym was "pony poacher" for the rest of the trip.

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Youper>
posted
Never intentionaly. But I once shot what I thought was a ruffed grouse, but turned out to be a woodcock. What was illegal about it was this crazy law about using only shotguns that hold no more than three rounds while shooting woodcock. Oh well, mine held more than that.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Well now, I'll be honest. Like Ray, only on a much smaller spread, I grew up hunting deer every fall starting about the first of Oct. Sometimes I'd kill three or four a year. I didn't even realize it was illegal until I was about 14. Everyone I knew shot several deer every year, before and after season. We shot only mature bucks because we were taught it was wrong to shoot does or young bucks. I'm from a large family and none was ever wasted.

Now here come the flames.

------------------
To be old and wise.....first you have to be young and stupid!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a poacher, then I grew up. I never poached for money but I did for greed. I quess mainly it was the excitement of it all. I rarely wasted anything. I won't say what I have done, but let's just say I did not have to practice much at the range. I became an efficent hunter from the year round practice. I came from a famly of farmers and sadly poaching was acceptable, in our part of the country at least. Then I started to realize that poaching was the same a stealing and that I wasn't just screwing the gov't, but I was screwing everyone. Actually poaching was acceptable by almost everyone I knew at one time. I happy to say that that has changed dramticly.
I disaprove of illegal hunting and poaching. I will not hesitate to turn someone in for blatant illegal hunting. I do my best to set a good example to young hunters and non-hunters alike of proper hunting ethics. I just had to grow up first.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ole Sarge,
That big old desert spread would run 300 cows on 100,000 acres on a good year and none on a bad year...pretty grim.. bet your smaller place beat that, but it was home and we loved growing up there as long as we had enough horses and mules that could buck and on Weekends we rode all the bulls that Dad had on feed in the pens, when that got boring we'd go shoot Deer and bear in Mexico, now that was an experience..5 of us boys and we'd take one plate, one fork and one cup and take turns eating, saved space on the packhorse that way. That was a 15 to 20 day trip. Unless we had to make a run for it, either bandits or Forestales that we didn't know... Twas no place for wimps, thats for sure.....We thought it was fun for some reason!!! Dad, always said boys got balls at about 12 years old, but didn't get their brains until they were 45 years old....I believe that now....

the Mexicans in Mexico would put an old set of bedsprings (the ones with the cone shaped springs) on cinder blocks and put chicken feed on the ground under it and every time they slammed the screen door at their house it scared the quail and they flew up and stuck in the cones. the feathers grow back so they were caught..We'd trade 22 ammo, suger or coffee for their quail and fresh chiles...they kept the quail they caught in a pen like chickens so they were always fresh....Even today flour tortillas or biscuits, pinto beans, chile and fried deer meat or quail, and white gravy just makes me slobber...
We were lucky to have lived in thoes times and under thoes conditions, real lucky.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recall a couple of morons who shot things that they simply didnt know any better. One killed a small hawk thinking it was a chicken, and another shot a bull elk on the deer hunt. The ignorance of these two was amazing to me, the one who got the elk ran to the others in his group and yelled excitedly "I got a BIG one" thinking he killed a trophy deer. Im not one to promote too much regulation but that sort of thing is rediculous and should be stopped.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am old enough to have known several of those Depression Era Pot Hunters.
The last one was laid to rest,earlier this year. He was never shy about some of the
things that he had done as a Kid,and as a young Man.
I met him in the 1950's,and he had a steady job. Strangely,he would never do ANYTHING illegale;he was MY conscience.When doe permits became available here in New York,he would still never shoot a doe.
When in need,he would kill and eat everything that he could,but without that need,he could not do it again.
It would take an awful lot of explaining to get me to believe that any one living today has a need to poach game.
Just opinion,Folks

------------------

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell the truth!!!!

WHY?????

PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
<ssleefl>
posted
Here in the south the big poaching thing to do for the Rednecks is to hit them on the side of the road with their vehicle. Most of them are rusted out pieces of sh*# so I guess they don't care. The ones with nicer trucks shoot from the road which is illegal here and one law I've never understood.

------------------
"A school of Tuna led by a Shark can beat a school of Sharks led by a Tuna"

Most divorces are based on disagreements over small matters, so are most murders.

<R Smith>
posted
It's funny how some associate poaching only with large game. Any broken game laws are grounds, in the eyes of the law, to be called a poacher. Yes, as a teen I would hunt rabbits at night with flashlights. Didn't need the food, just wanted the fun. Now, while I am very "to the letter" while hunting, I have been known to kill a garden marauding rabbit out of season, or maybe even a bird seed robbing squirrel. They seem to be in abundance around the house and are usually a pest.....still it is breaking game laws and technically that makes me a poacher???

Robert

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Like Ray, I was raised on a Texas ranch just out of the depression, and slammed into food rationing of WWII. All our men were overseas fighting a war, and that included the game wardens. Four families of aunts, and cousins moved onto my Grandfather's ranch, and I was the only male old enough to hunt. First let me say, I had no idea there was a season on anything, and when my grandmother told me she needed a dozen squirles, or a goose, I simply went to where I knew they could be found and took exactly what she told me to take. We ate about a deer per week all during the war, and we got all this meat with a single shot 22. I was years trying to break myself from shooting everything in the head.

SoOOOOOOooooo I guess you could say I have poached game, but, in my defense, I didn't know I was doing anything wrong, and we only took what we needed. I wish I had some of those whitetail racks I through away,because "YA CAIN"T EAT NO HORNS" in the words of my grandfather!

Like many of those posting here, I don't believe many people today "NEED" to poach, to feed their families, and now that I know better, it is something I would not do. There may be a time again when people have to take animals for food, but it is not now!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
OK, here's an ethical question-

A family that lives out in the country, the father is a logger by trade. He cannot work when the snow gets too heavy, or when there is a turn down in the lumber industry. Is it more ethical for him to go out and shoot food for his family, or is it better for him to live off of food stamps?

I am asking this question seriously, this family had a son who was a boyhood friend of my brothers, they actually exist, well all except my brothers friend, he was struck over the head and killed when he was in the 8th grade.

The father was the only man I have ever known to have actually eaten a cat too.

So is this man living ethically, or should he just sell the homestead and move to the city and get a "real job".........

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkWhite:
OK, here's an ethical question-

A family that lives out in the country, the father is a logger by trade. He cannot work when the snow gets too heavy, or when there is a turn down in the lumber industry. Is it more ethical for him to go out and shoot food for his family, or is it better for him to live off of food stamps?

One method is legal, the other is not. Ive never used them myself but I see nothing unethical about using food stamps within the context for which they were intended. While out of work he should also be entitled to unemployment benefits and with a license he can hunt legally. This is just the same unacceptable excuse everyone else is talking about.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote