New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm mag,130bal. tips & black bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does this sound like a recipe for dissaster? the 130 ballistic tips shoot so accurately in my 7mm mag i hate to change loads for my spring bear hunt. am i asking for trouble using these??

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted black bear,but used 7mmmag on a lot of game in N.Z.I'm sure alot of other guys will back me up on this if you shoot a black bear with 130B.T all you will do is piss him off.Try a search for black bear

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed several black bear. That bullet is a little light and fragile for all round use on a black bear IMHO.
I would try a 150 or a 160 Nosler Partition. IMR 4350 always shot good in my 7Mag with Partitions.
Is your hunt over bait or spot and stalk?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all there is no 130 gr 7mm BT.

Use a heavier 160 gr bullet or if you want to use a lighter one then it should be a premium.

If your rifle is very accurate with a BT then it will be minute of bear with almost any bullet.

Questions like this are fun to read and answer but a sailor must know when to reef himself. The time to reef is when you first think of it. This follows that if you had to ask you suspected that the BT's were soft for bear.

Good luck on that hunt.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my mistake i meant 140 bt,and you are correct if i'm having doubts don't use them. this is going to be a spot and stalk so the range is unknown. i'll go with a partition or failsafe,thanks for the input.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Many many bears are taken every year w/ Bows, pistols, MLers, and rifles from .243 win on up. Your 140 NBTs would take a bear down much quicker and more humane than some of the above weapons but, It's probably not the "best" combo.

If you are stuck on NBTs for the accuracy, I would go w/ the 150s. They perform much better than the 140s for me on big deer and hogs. I've taken some huge Boars w/ the 150 NBTs out of a 7RM.

You should also consider the Accubonds, the 140s should shoot alot like your current loads and they will give you better penetration. There's also the 160 ABs, and the 139, 154, 162 Interbonds as well. If you like the Ballistic Tips, the new bonded types are strong enough for anything you should shoot w/ a 7mm Rem Mag.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'll agree w/ some of the other guys, a 140grNBT @ close (high) impact vel. is asking for a problem if not put precisely in the right spot. THis question comes up all of the time about the accuracy of this bullet over that. Have you even tried another "hunting" bullet in your 7mag? How much accuracy are you giving up on say a 300yd shot, about the longest most hunters take, by going to a "better" suited bullet. If you tinker w/ your load a bit, you'll find you can get pretty close to 1moa w/ just about any good bullet in an already accurate rifle. My choice in the 7mags always leans to heavy for caliber, so I would go 160gr Speer, Nosler, Hornady, etc. Mine shoots 1moa or better w/ the 160grNPs, shoots plenty flat & penetrates like crazy. I have even used it on a pronghorn @ less than 130yds, quarter size exit & the buck never took a step.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many respondents have shot a black bear?

How many respondents have used Ballistic Tips?

How many respondents have shot a black bear with Ballistic Tips?

I've done all three. The bear rug is nailed to my wall. One shot.

If you're hunting in the Rockies, especially in the spring, the black bears are no larger than a good sized whitetail. If you want to use your ballistic tips under these conditions, they'll be fine. Now, if you're hunting big farmland bears or coastal bears in the fall after they bulk up on fish, that's a different story, and they merit a heavier bullet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, you don't have to crash your car into a tree to know it's probably not the best thing to do on a Friday evening. Poulsbo asked for opinions & got them. I don't hunt w/ NBTs or drive my car into trees BECAUSE I have seen the results of both & choose to go another route. He could also slip a .22lr into the bears brain & kill it deader than the Democratic party, but I wouldn't recommend it.
BTW, did you also shoot your bear w/ a 140grNBT from a 7mag? What was the range, size of bear, shot placement, etc. Your single experience has about as much to do with your answer as any of our opinions? bewildered Big Grin

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting black bears over bait accuracy should be dead last on the list of priorities. I generally will take all the accuracy I can get, but if can't hit a black bear at 20 yards with even a 5 moa rifle, it is time to quit.

Use a heavier bullet.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use what suits you, but I would select a 175 gr. Nosler partition..I want two holes on bear, all that hair will suck up a good blood trail with one hole.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I shot my bear in the heart with a 7RM, 175 grainer at around 40 yards on an AK spot and stalk. He backflipped and never moved a muscle more from where he landed. Exit hole the size of a nickle. Performed perfectly, and made me quite happy

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote