New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Sheep Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it possible for a non-resident to do a Stone Sheep do-it-yourself hunt? Can you buy tags, and hunt public ground or pay a trespassing fee to hunt private land to hunt these animals? How about for Desert Sheep? Can you go to Mexico and hunt for these animals on public ground? I know Dall sheep hunting in Alaska isn't allowed for non-residents to do without a guide, but how about a hunt for them in the Yukon?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think in canada you need a guide/outfitter for all big game. As for mexico and public land, they think "everything" north of the yucatan peninsula is public land.

You need to move to each prospective location you desire to hunt sheep, establish residency, hunt, then move on to the next.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, the thought has crossed my mind! That is how bad I want to complete a sheep grand slam!!

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
If you are serious about this the first place you should move is to the Yukon, then you can hunt Dall and Stone as a resident if you draw a tag.

You could also move to the NWT, but there are fewer sheep there or to BC, as BC has 4 types of wild sheep. But both places have less opertunity.

Then once you have completed your Yukon sheep quest, I'd move to Alberta or BC to get your Bighorns done. This will of course mean getting drawn.

The deserts will only be aquired by one of two means, tons of money or luck in the draw.

So start getting your points going for Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. And apply for Deserts in New Mexico, Colorado and California. Maybe when you are in your 60s will you have enough points to hunt deserts.

Might as well keep bighorn points going in Wyoming, Montana and Colorado as well. I think in Montana you will have to be in the drawing, they don't do just points.

Wyoming you will not be able to guide yourself excepting a couple areas, unless you are a resident.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
If you are serious about this the first place you should move is to the Yukon, then you can hunt Dall and Stone as a resident if you draw a tag.

You could also move to the NWT, but there are fewer sheep there or to BC, as BC has 4 types of wild sheep. But both places have less opertunity.

Then once you have completed your Yukon sheep quest, I'd move to Alberta or BC to get your Bighorns done. This will of course mean getting drawn.

The deserts will only be aquired by one of two means, tons of money or luck in the draw.

So start getting your points going for Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. And apply for Deserts in New Mexico, Colorado and California. Maybe when you are in your 60s will you have enough points to hunt deserts.

Might as well keep bighorn points going in Wyoming, Montana and Colorado as well. I think in Montana you will have to be in the drawing, they don't do just points.

Wyoming you will not be able to guide yourself excepting a couple areas, unless you are a resident.

MOA,

most of our sheep licenses are OTC except some areas....

all the best.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote