Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hunts?
 Login/Join

posted
I may have the opportunity to go to Houston on business the first week of December.I am thinking of extending my stay and trying to do some hunting. As a Canadian I am not sure what is available that time of year. I'd love to bowhunt for a big old Texas buck or try for hogs. Can anybody tell me what my options are or suggest any outfitters? Thanks.

Posts: 11 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 26 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bullgetter:
I may have the opportunity to go to Houston on business the first week of December.I am thinking of extending my stay and trying to do some hunting. As a Canadian I am not sure what is available that time of year. I'd love to bowhunt for a big old Texas buck or try for hogs. Can anybody tell me what my options are or suggest any outfitters? Thanks.

Deer, feral hogs, and exotics are all available in December.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas is mostly private land, little public land to hunt on. Hunting is a big business in Texas and the cost can really be high. Our deer seasons are long, usually run from the first part of Nov. thru most of January. Feral hogs are all over the state, and can be shot any time, day or night, any time of the year. Again a private land deal. Check the web for license requirements and hunting opportunities.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
To hunt deer in Texas, your license will cost $300.00. To hunt feral hogs or exotics, you can do that on a $45.00 license that is good for a 5 day period.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys! I checked some websites out and I can't believe what they are charging. Shoot over a 130-140 class buck and pay $100 per inch there after! I have world class bucks in my backyard so I think I'll pass on the deer. No wonder so many Americans come up here to hunt. $3000 let's you hunt what ever size buck you wish to take home, fully guided. A predator, feral hog, or javelina hunt may be in order. I really just want the experience of hunting that Texas country we see so much of on the TV shows.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Bullgetter, check out the free range aoudad hunting in west Texas. Ft. Davis Mtns area southeast of El Paso. I hunted there a few years ago and it was a good time. Not like hunting sheep at home here but it is rocky country, beautiful scenery and fair chase. I had a good time when I went.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Bullgetter,

The Texas you are used to seeing is probably what we call South Texas - near the Mexican border. That's where most of the "muy grandes" are taken. That's also a 4-5 hour drive from Houston.

Near Houston we have thick "piney woods" where you will find feral hogs and whitetails. You should be able to line up a pig hunt near Houston pretty cheap. The javelinas are further West.

We also have premier waterfowl hunting - geese & ducks in the Houston area. That takes place on the prairie west of the city. Typically we hunt rice fields by laying among decoys (hunting a spread).

There are some exotics nearby but it's not hunting the way you and I know it.

BTW - I have hunted Alberta, Saskatchewan and B.C. Since experiencing Canada, I rarely hunt in Texas. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
bullgetter, I definately would look into the hog/javelina hunts. They would be the biggest bang for your buck. Like you, I have great whitetail hunting, here in Indiana, and wouldn't begin to think about paying that much for the same size deer in Texas. Hell, the 3 biggest bucks I've taken off the farm I hunt for free[142,148, and 160] would have cost in the neighborhood of $15,000+ for all three. That's more than I'm gonna pay for my southafrican plains game hunt, next year, including airfare and trophy shipments!

If this ranch isn't too far from houston for you, check them out.

www.lazyrhunts.com/

all the hogs you can shoot, and lots of javies. Chris and Maria are excellent hosts. My buddy and I took 6 hogs and 2 javelina, there, in 2 1/2 days.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said in my earlier posts, deer hunting in Texas can be really high. I was born and raised in S. Tex, 45 minutes from the famed brush country, and deer hunting here is becoming a sport for the rich. Maybe I'm just a mistey eyed old fart but, gone are the days when a rancher would tell you, come on up to the ranch anytime and bring your deer rifle. Being an old poor boy, I am fortunate to have a friend that has a small ranch in the brush country that lets me come up and hunt for nothing. There are a lot of deer on the place, just no big ones. In fact I haven't shot one in a while. Just the hunting experience and seeing deer is what I enjoy now. The number of high fence ranches and managed deer herds are rising at an alarming rate, and Texas is covered with them from here to the panhandle. As I said earlier, "gone are the days", in my beloved state.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
!

If this ranch isn't too far from houston for you, check them out.

www.lazyrhunts.com/

all the hogs you can shoot, and lots of javies. Chris and Maria are excellent hosts. My buddy and I took 6 hogs and 2 javelina, there, in 2 1/2 days.

Mad Dog

That would be about a 5 hour drive from HOuston.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog thanks for the tip. Looks like the lazy R has what I am looking for. Are they close to San Antonio? I could get a flight there from Houston and leave for home from San Antonio.
I do feel for you guys. I don't know how you can stand all this paid access in your home states. It makes me feel how fortunate I am to be able to jump in the truck and head out. Within 2 hours from home I can hunt Elk, Moose, Bear, Bighorn, Mule Deer and Whitetail with over the counter tags on public land. I have harvested a Dall Sheep in the NWT and hope to get a bighorn at home and a Stone in BC. Sheep hunt prices are getting ridiculous but can be done if you shop around. A desert sheep hunt would put a guy in the poor house and I just can't justify spending that much money. It needs to be more about the hunt than just the kill. That is what I want to experience in Texas, get a taste of what the country and peolple are like. If I harvest something that is a bonus but I'm sure I will enjoy myself regardless.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
It is closer to San Antonio. That is your best bet for flying home. Try to spend a day in San Antonio if you can swing it.......the Alamo, Riverwalk, and GREAT Mexican food! If you get to San Antonio and have the time, I would be proud to buy you a Shiner Bock and a plate of enchiladas!

I am heading up to Alberta next spring for a bear hunt!

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote