Find
Notify
Tools

Strangest things
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
You boys would be surprised at how much of the stainless steel pruducts are useful to the bootlegggers art - Not that I would know Anything about it BTW Costco Sells 50 lb bags of sugar at very resonable prices...

By Aim and by effort

H.T.R.N.

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
It's amazing the "useful" stainless steel Hardware from places like Cole Palmer - Stuf like "worms" 55 gal drums, fittings - Not that I know anythign about this sort of thing! BTW, Costco sells 50lb Bags of sugar at very reasonable prices...

By Aim and by Effort

H.T.R.N.

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Sorry 'bout the double Post

By Aim and by Effort

H.T.R.N.

<halfbreed>
posted
redleg, was'nt tryin to flame you! just round here there have been some very unscrupulus folk who made some very nasty stuff on purpose. don't know what the deal was with that.they actually put dead birds etc. in on purpose. every still i have ever seen, the mash barrel was allways on top of the ground. during fermentation. they used a wet bed linnen to hold the foam in the barrel. and keep the trash out. i can't imagine a critter walking into the barrel on purpose. however a lot of farmers fed the mash to their hogs afterwards. it was awful funny to watch the hogs dance around chasing an ear of corn tied to a fishing pole. kinda like reeling in a big one. high tech redneck, stainless steel just seems to take something out of it. kinda like cheating yourself. halfbreed

------------------
overkill? how much more dead, is dead, than dead?

<halfbreed>
posted
high tech redneck, by the way is that cane sugar or corn sugar. not that it makes that big a difference. halfbreed

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was camping on a local lake a couple of years back.One afternoon,about a 300 pound black bear came down to drink out of the lake across the cove from me.Since it wasn't bear season,I just sat and enjoyed watching him mosey around.

About two hours later,about a 200 pound black bear came down the same exact trail and drank from the lake.This one was smaller than the other one,but very pretty with a large white patch on his chest.

About a minute after he moseyed off into the timber above the lake on a small knoll.I decided I wanted to take a better look at him,so I grabbed my varmint call and gave a few short blasts.

About 45 seconds later,here comes the bear at a soft but steady trot around the left side of the knoll.At the same time,here comes a big coyote around the right side of the knoll.

I don't think either one knew the other was there until they met each other in the middle-then all hell broke loose.Last thing I saw was that coyote going hell bent over the top of the knoll,and that bear was trying to sink his teeth into his ass.

Another slightly strange one happened just this past deer season.

I was walking down an old,abondend logging road,when I suddenly heard all hell brake loose about 20 yards from me in the brush.

I flipped the saftey off my 7mag,tipped the muzzel twards the brush and got ready to fight.And you know what came out?

Two big pine squirrels,one just bitting the crap out of the other.This went on for about thirty seconds in front of me,and I was having a good chuckle when the one getting bit suddenly broke away-and came running right at me!

I watched that little sucker run right up to me,around my back and that SOB jumped right up on my left ass cheek and held for dear life!!

I guess he was hiding from the other squirrel,which was also making a B-line for my ass.

I holered "GET THE %$#* OFF ME!!!!",did my rather poor version of a Jackie Chan move,and knocked the squirrel off me.

The two squirrels were off in the brush again before I could shoot the little pervert with my 7mag.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, are you sure it wasn't squirrel mating season? You may just have looked good to that old boy...

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was calling coyotes one day, and I had a decoy tied on a long piece of monofilament. The decoy was a rabbit skin that I wiggled by pulling on the string. While I was wiggling the decoy, my attention was taken by a coyote coming in when a Bald Eagle swooped down and took my decoy. I guess I wasn't using strong enough line because I couldn't reel in the eagle.

Another time one of my hunting partners had stayed up most of the night drinking. We left well before daylight in the pickup, and he was getting sick on the bumpy road. I had to stop so he could throw up. We were about 1/4 mile from a farm house and it was still pretty dark. He was down on all fours throwing up when out of nowhere a German Shepherd mounted him from behind and starting humping him. Damn, wish I'd had video of that. The dog was very affectionate and didn't want to let him up.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Brian,

That squirrel was just losing the fight and he was coming for your knife.

Happens to me all the time...

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by rick3foxes:
Hey, Brian,

That squirrel was just losing the fight and he was coming for your knife.

Happens to me all the time...

I did not see him myself , but our friend did and kept wrestling with his wife on a stand , for she wanted the binos, too :
a jogger .
He wore a T-shirt.
He did not wear ANYTHING else !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,
I'll have to start packing one of those little miny knifes to loan to the squirrels.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Halfbreed,
I believe it's Cane sugar. BTW, Dija know that sugar is a controlled substance for this very reason - seems around ten years ago, the feds busted the biggest illicit distiller EVER - He has producing something like 500 gallons a day. He got caught when the ATF wanted to know what the hell he was doing with all that sugar...

By Aim and by Effort

H.T.R.N.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The days of moonshining are not over by any means, they catch them regularly in NE Texas. I don't know anything about it, but I can tell you that some of these old boys around here are rumored to make a mighty smooth product from either NE Texas or SE Oklahoma.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last fall I was in my treestand watching a squirrel farting around in front of me. A hawk swooped in so fast I didn't see him coming, and he missed that squirrel by mere inches.

The squirrel about turned himself inside out, and when the hawk was gone he sat there on a log all hunched up sqealing "eeeee, eeee, eeee" for about 1/2 hour. I swear I was about to thump him with an arrow or go home because no deer was going to come out with that racket going on. I was about 5 minutes away from my tolerance threshold, when sure as s__t, a little 5 point walked right out to my stand and I shot him at 7 yards.

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
high tech redneck, i had not heard sugar was a controlled substance. 500 gallon a day is some operation. 50 gallon a day is enough for most folk. anything bigger is a full time business. and that would take the fun out of it. ( i suppose )
gategordo, you're right, it is running big time. and smoooth is the key word. halfbreed

------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The squirrel story reminds me of the day I landed at an airport, got out of my plane and a big bobwhite quail ran right up beside me, easily close enough to touch. I said, "Hello," and started walking for the office and the quail marched along right next to me, hardly staying out from under my feet. When I entered to FBO's office the quail waited at the glass door for me to return. I walked up to the manager and told her, "That's a cute pet quail you guys have here." She looked bewildered and said, "What quail?"

Puzzled now I walked back to the door where the quail was still waiting for me and as I looked out I spotted the problem...a big hawk sitting on a power pole about 50 yds from my plane. Obviously the quail had nearly been ambushed by the hawk and figured he needed some big friends quick.

A few minutes later the hawk abandoned the stalk and flew away. When I went back outside the quail had split for safer environs as well.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Half breed - They sure do keep tabs on who buys masssive quantities of sugar, just like they keep track of who buys Chemical fertilizer, and it's done very, very discreetly. Keep in mind I'm not talking about 50 or even 500 pound quantitiies, I'm talking about hauling out a dump trucks worth out of the distributers every week...All they gotta do is run your plates and they'll know whether or not your are a legitimate end user. Now about the guy in VA,
apparently when the local Cambell's soup factory closed down, He bought up all the 900 gallon soup pots (six of 'em, I think) and had a 600 gallon stainless steel still made... IMHO I don't see how doing this for money is very profitable Grain alcohol is fairly cheap from legitimate sources - Everclear is a little over 10 bucks a bottle... Now for fun, thats a different story! The best system I've ever seen was from New Zealand using Modified beer kegs...
Keep in mind that a half keg holds 15.5 gallons and will produce just over 2gallons of pure "white" from 15%ABV Mash... The neatest one I've seen involved using a water jacket, a industrial thermostat and an electric water heater element to produce 85%ABV in one pass through the apparatus, 'course, it could only produce something like a quart at a time (see Lindsay Technical Books)

By Aim and by Effort

H.T.R.N.

<halfbreed>
posted
high teck redneck, you're right about the money. but there is something about doing it yourself. ever notice how everclear has a nasty taste ( first few swigs ) then after that it starts tasting better for some odd reason. i have a taste for the red. most old timers i know of would allways do a double run. made it the purest form. and never used an electric heat source. it would turn on and off without good temp control. also the hickory would help a little in the taste, if ever so subtle. also i enjoy letting the mad scientist come out to play. don't have the time right now for some real stuff, but maybe a batch of 13-15% dark bock beer. just to play with. i can handle 6 weeks to age. instead of 3 years. plus i can make 200 gallons a year without any hassle. does this seem to be losing spirit. (sorry bout the pun). could'nt help myself. halfbreed

------------------

<jeremy w>
posted
Forgive my ignorance.

I thought moonshining died with prohibition?

Also, why would moonshiners care if they got caught nowdays?

Where can I get some?

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeremy w:

A) You're forgiven. Now drink this......

B) It didn't. Do you think they sell all those quart jars for just canning tomatoes?

C) It is just as illegal now as ever, something about not paying taxes. Those ATF boys have no sense of humor.......

D) You'll have to find your own connection, I don't know anyone in Wyoming that would know and if I did I wouldn't tell you. You can buy some very poor legal imitation shine in some of the larger liquor stores, but it has an overwhelming corn flavor and is terrible tasting IMHO.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
By law you can produce x # of gallons per year for personal consumption only. Selling it is a big no-no, I assume because of the taxes involved.

I forget how many gallons you can make. Used to know, never could make enough to reach the limit though.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
buffalobwana, it used to be 120 gallon a year, last time i checked.

me neither

------------------

<GoWyo!>
posted
Well, we've all heard of symbiosis in the world of flora and fauna, but I have seen an odd fellowship on two different occasions. May have been same two animals as the incidents were only about 10 miles apart. While hunting for pronghorn in the Shirley Basin area several years ago, I spotted a lone coyote trotting about a half mile away...followed closely by a badger. They seemed to be doing a spot and dig operation for prairie dogs. Coyote would see the sod poodles, head to the mound and the badger would dive in. I didn't get to see how they divvied up the spoils. This went on for at least 30 minutes until we left. A year of two later, saw another odd couple just cruising across the prairie. Gary

one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Halfbreed,
Are you sure 'bout the feds letin' ya make up to 120 gals. for "personal consumption" As far as I know it's illegal to distill without the tax stamp, Period. As for beer, I'm 99% sure the limits 400 gallons a Year (I try not to think of it as a limit, more as an admirable goal! ) As for Everclear and other Pure grain Alcohol, I try not to drink stuff over 150 proof because it too damn easy to kill yourself with alcohol poisoning - Your kidneys can shut down with just a few gulps of the pure stuff because fo the sudden load placed on them. As for the electric method, I think it works better than using gas burners because you can control the temperature within a degree or two of alcohol's boiling point(175F). Keep in mind your not putting the element into the mash but into the water jacket, which evens out temp. flucuation... As fro beer I kinda partial to Belgian Trappist Ales, with Bock running a close second (long live OPTIMATOR!)I don't think anything but barleywine gets above 11-12% and even that's rare... As for Jeremy's question, Yes it's about taxes - liquor has surcharges on it ranging from 60 to 75%, depending on where ya live and what ya buy - that's why the Fed's get so worked up about this sort of thing, it's big money for them... Some of you have been commenting 'bout local operations in the South and West but belive it or not, one of the biggest producing regions in the US is NE Pennsylvania! Keep in mind it has to supply a 20 mil.person metroplex...

By Aim and by Effort

H.T.R.N.

<halfbreed>
posted
high tech redneck, the last i checked bout 17 years ago,120 gallon per year was o.k. so long as it was not sold or traded.

for the beer, i think 400 gal is still correct.

i stand corrected on the 13%, german dark doppelbock i between 7.5- 11%. seems though i made up some slightly stouter once. i will have to go back through my loaded notes.

i just have never liked the electric plates for a heat source. sounds like you have had much better luck with them than i have.

everclear states right on the bottle, DO NOT DRINK STRAIGHT, COULD CAUSE DEATH ETC. question is, who would want to drink it straight. tastes like burnt grain smells. a little red never hurt anybody. within reason. it will make you chase parked cars and howl at the moon though.

there are some specialty ales. fruit and barley, that do kick up to about 13%. just try a batch of palm fruit wine, and you'll know what i'm talkin about. said with a slight slur. halfbreed

------------------

<Caveman>
posted
Ray,

I enjoyed the roping stories! I'm impressed. I have a good friend that roped a 10 point Mule deer outside of Van Horn. I have never roped a deer, but I did hook a coon on a rod-n-reel. He went to backing up growling and raising hell, then he turned to run and broken the line. The sad thing is, is that I was trying to catch him. What the hell would I have done if he would have turned and jumped in my lap? Like you said...the crazy things you did when you were younger.

Corey

one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey:

You would have had an object lesson in the meaning of catch and release at an early age.

<Paladin>
posted
What? Like holding a cute little chipmunk in the hollow of your hands???

<Don Martin29>
posted
I was deer hunting in VT with my #1A and I looked down a very steep hill and saw a buck walking sideways to me at at least a hundred yards. I let a shot go from offhand and it looked good. Maybe a tiny bit high but on. The rifle was a 7mm Rem Mag so the recoil took me off of the target and when I looked I saw nothing. But there were way too many trees anyway.

Then coming up the steep hill on the trail I saw a buck walking towards me! It was only about 50 yards away when I shot it. I made sure it was dead and then dragged it off of the steep hill to dress it and then I looked for the other buck. There was no other buck. I hung my red knap sack in a tree and made circles and I had plenty of time as it was morning. There was no sign. Nothing.

I don't think this is uncommon that when a shot is fired (and missed) a deer will not run away but for one to walk right up to me is unusual.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE Originally posted by Don Martin29: I don't think this is uncommon that when a shot is fired (and missed) a deer will not run away but for one to walk right up to me is unusual.]

Ha! Got you beat on that one (though I shouldn't admit it). I was hunting in northern New Hampshire and tracking a medium buck. Jumped him and fired three shots, felt good but no sign of a hit. I followed the track around the mountain, a bit disgusted with my self, when I look up the ridge and see this spike horn looking in the direction of the buck track. I figure I should take him as the season was almost over. I proceeded to empty my rifle on that buck, and he never moved. Now getting a bit flustered, I reloaded and missed four more times. I then proceeded to single load the rifle, taking very careful aim at this deer (35 yards distant) and shot several more times, using a tree for a rest. The deer must have gotten bored, as he simply walked away, never touched by one shot. Turned out, I was shooting holes (11 of them) in a large tree branch. What had happened was that my rifle had been knocked onto the floor of our camp the previous week, and I never checked the sights... It was shooting three feet to the right at 75 yards!

Moral of the story is always check you sights if you bump your rifle, no matter what. And bring plenty of ammo...

by the way, that's not my strangest story. I haven't told my "strangest" since a day or two after it happened, because no one believes it.

[This message has been edited by dogtagger (edited 05-23-2002).]

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
<perrydog>
posted
I have a friends dad who tells this story..

When he was younger, he was out hunting rabbits near Boise. His buddy and him saw a bobcat and he shot it in the head...dropped like a stone. When they looked at it he had barely hit it on the top if the head...still breathing. They weren't too far from their vehicle and walking back to it they say an old suitcase someone had thrown out. That gave them an idea.

They put the cat in the suitcase and left it on the side of the road. They found a good vandtage point and waited. Shortly thereafter, a car went by, slammed on it's brakes and backs up to the suitcase. One of the cars occupants jumps out looks around grabs the suitcase and the car takes off. After about 50 yards the cars swerves, brakes and runs off the road. Four doors open and four people fly out of the car, followed by a pissed off bobcat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a good one Perrydog!
dogtagger let us decide if we believe your other story

My strangest sight? happened last year in South Africa. I was in the Natal region hunting Nyala at a ranch and in the course of the late morning drive we spotted a Python of about 15 feet with an Impala or Dikker in it's belly. It was lying about 10 feet from where the kill was made and is the coolist thing I have ever seen!
Nature at it's finest.

------------------
"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me , the harvest is a bonus."

[This message has been edited by amosgreg (edited 05-23-2002).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting Elk in Colorado. Sneaking along, trying the be quiet when I heard the damndest noise up a tree I was passing under. I looked up and saw a squirrel clinging to a branch. Apparently the beast was laying on the branch watching me walk by. The branch broke. Instead of letting go, the squirrel hung on. The branch fell from limb to limb, until the last 30 feet or so where there were no more branches. The screeched all the way down. I thought sure the fall would kill him. He hit the ground and disappeared into a foot of fresh snow. A second after he hit, he came out of the snow and scrambled back up the tree. Needless to say, any respectable Elk in that part of Colorado was now in Wyoming. A chattering squirrel wouldn't do it, but that branch falling from limb to limb sure as heck did.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was goose / pheasant hunting near Katy, Texas with about ten other oilfield trash. The hunt was horrible.

We laid in the mud in the morning. The guides said don't jump up and shoot until we say shoot. Well the geese started coming in and were landing around us. One of the guys got unnerved and jumped up and started shooting so we all did. I guess we nailed a half dozen, but the guides were screaming at us about how they hadn't told us to shoot. They decided we had ruined the set, so they told us they were moving us over to another area where they had released about 50 pheasant.

The birds had no wing strength. The dogs kept picking them up BEFORE we shot them, so they put the dogs in the trucks. We spent the afternoon nudging pheasant with out feet until they flew, then shot them just to get the hunt over. We had 48 as I recall when we called it quits.

We got back to the cars late in the afternoon where the guides were smoking some sausage. Everyone was breaking their guns down. One of our guys hadn't come in. About the time we mentioned that, someone said, "here he comes". Right then, as the man walked through some brush about fifty yards from us, he flushed a cock. It came sailing right at the cars.

I already had my gun broken down, but grabbed the stock, threw it to my shoulder, and started yelling, "BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! as the pheasant went over me.

Hearing what I was doing, the pheasant cocked his head around and flew into a high-line wire. It caught him right across the neck. He fell on the road and one of the guides ran over and rung its neck.

When he hit the line we just stared at each other in disbelief, then fell out laughing. The next morning flying into Odessa my friend asked me whether we really has seen that happen. He said he woke up thinking he'd dreamt it, it was so weird.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote