New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strangest things
 Login/Join

<semodeerhunter>
posted
What is the strangest or weirdest thing you have seen in the woods while hunting.

------------------
NRA life member

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
A member of my hunting team. He's a strange fellow.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A white and black spotted guinea pig walked past me while I was bow hunting one time.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
A parakeet in Alaska - 50 miles away from the nearest habitation!

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
One time I was deer hunting in North Carolina near the outer banks and hiked at least 3-4 miles back into this swamp, and was almost up to my knees in water with waders on. There were a gazallion old pine trees there, and I noticed an old rickety wooden stand up in some trees that looked like it hadn't been used in 15 years. Against my common sense, I climbed up into this stand, and there was the sports section of the prior day's newspaper still up there. Gave me the creeps. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

My good friend Fred

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
Greg a guy I hunted with for a season. Bulldogged a doe I had shot (bow) and slit her throat on the run!
Fine line between bravery and stupidity!

Also saw a albino cock pheasant once. I just stood there and watched it fly away as it was so strange. Didn't even raise my gun.
X-Ring

------------------
Sinner, saved by God's unfailing grace!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess this counts, I roped and Eagle one time!!

My brother and I came around a point and two eagles were eating a dead lamb and they were too full to get airborne, they just ran and hopped, so I jerked down my rope and cought one around the wing and body...I was riding a mule of somewhat unknown heritage (father was a crocadile I think) I was pulling the eagle towards me and letting it run..I told my brother that I would have that Eagle leading by the time we got home and he was going to be my pet, then it got a little to close and latched on to my mules leg with both tallons and the s--t hit the fan, I got my head stuck in a Mesquite tree and the mule took the eagle home...

Mom and dad were sitting on the poarch and as the mule came by with a piece of eagle still in the knot, Dad said, Mother, your youngest son has roped and eagle, Mom said, I'm not surprised but how do you think he did that..Dad said I suppose he used a long rope and I better saddle a horse and go see if our sons are still alive, it doesn't look good from the shape of that mangled bird.

He found us riding double about 3 miles from the house, I was pretty scratched up and bleeding...All he said was Ray Jr. how long a rope you packing these days???

One of the familys favorite stories, from about 1949 as I recall, It happened in the Big Bend country of Texas where I was raised. then there was the buck deer, but thats another story.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this past deer season i watched 2 different
groups(flocks,coveys,whatever) of wild turkeys enter the food plot i was hunting on
from from 2 different directions. each group
contained 15-20 birds. as the 2 groups met, they started a very noisy battle over territory or food or something, anyway there
turkeys fighting everywhere, in the air on the ground, kicking up dust and making all kind of noise. As i sat back (30 yards away)
i noticed a very large bobcat watching the
action, obviously looking for an easy breakfast. He boldly walked right into the
confusion and was about to feast when i
interrupted is morning. the turkeys survived
the bobcat is at the taxidermist as we speak.

Posts: 32 | Location: georgia usa | Registered: 01 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ngrumba,
that story is giving me the creeps as well.

Ray,
that is a good story, I am getting a good chuckle out of that one. How we get our selves into shit as young fellows.

When I was in Saskatchewan, Canada geese were flying low over head. I could hear a really odd sounding goose. I was saying to my self," what the hell is that coming from" and when I looked toward the sound, I saw and ugly looking goose that appeared to be a snow/canada cross, flying right along side other Canadian geese. Apparantly it is rare, but happens sometimes, I have been told since.

Anouther time, I was going to fetch the horses that were picketed nearby our camp. Right among the dozen horses was a large bull moose. The bull was mind'n his own business and paid no attention to me. I quickly ran back to camp to get a hunter to come and shoot this moose. We were back within minutes and there was no sign of the bull. You should have seen the stupid look I got from the hunter. I could not convince anyone that a large bull was among the horses right beside camp.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mini Kangeroo's while out stalking in the UK..The night before I had drunk a beer or two and thought perhaps I had not sobered up especially as the guy I was with swore blind he did not see them!

Turned out to be a "feral" colony of Wallabies from a near by wildlife park and the guy was just winding me up *S*

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, my friend Rockhead.

quote:
Originally posted by semodeerhunter:
What is the strangest or weirdest thing you have seen in the woods while hunting.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
<semodeerhunter>
posted
great replies keep them coming

------------------
NRA life member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting Red Deer and Boar near Fulda Germany in 1987 I was in a stand with a Forster and saw a large fat ringed tailed critter run down a clear cut. I couldn't recall any such animal in my animal recognition lexicon but it did look familiar.
I asked my host "was ist Dass?" and his reply was "Waschbar" I worked through the translation in my head...Waschbar=washing bear... What the heck? Ohhhhhhhh "Raccon?" was my reply to the Forster..."Ja, Ja Raccon!" But they don't have Raccoons in Europe...yes they do!

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
I had an opportunity to deer hunt in Vermont in 1983. While I was walking in the woods I found this area of small trees that had recently been completely torn up. Not quite sure what caused it I moved on. I then ran into this gentleman, an obvious local that was also hunting. We got to talking and he asked if I had seen
Bullwinkle"? I took me a few minutes to realize he was refering to a moose. This was the cause of the torn up trees.

As we were talking I couldn't help noticing his red plaid hunting jacket, or should I say what was left of it. This "jacket" was barely a bit of material, threads, a collar and a few buttons. Not much left at all.

I finally said that I didn't mean any disrespect but his hunting coat couldn't have been doing much good at all since there wasn't anything left of it. If he didn't mind me asking why was he even bothering to wear it?

He looked down at his coat, got a glimmer in his eye and said that his grandfather had given it to him on his first hunting trip when he was 16 years old. He was now 76 and had worn it every hunting season since then!

Kind of gave me a real neat warm feeling just listening to him and his sentimental attachment to the coat. I'll never forget that ol' fella.

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<Redbird>
posted
Ray, I too have had my head caught in a mesquite tree. Bout as much fun as a procto exam. Was on a high ridge in S. Arizona. The sides were too sharp to ride around, if you fell you would have time for a complete verse of your favorite hymn before you hit bottom. I had to head the horse under a mesquite growing on the ridge. Got my head caught under the chin in a fork of the tree. You sure start praying in a hurry that either you can get the horse stopped or that your sharp pointed , high heeled boots work the way they were intended.
Don't want to leave you hanging, it killed me. I am back as a better, wiser person.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was bowhunting one time and saw a fox squirrel dragging a large ear of corn (about as big as he was) through the woods. He was stopping about every twenty feet, getting two or three kernels in his mouth, burying them, and moving on....

Commotion in the air - Red-tailed Hawk at the top of a Cedar tree, Turkey hen with poults below, and a big Gobbler "dive-bombing" the Hawk. Pretty neat.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strangest thing I ever saw was in Eastern BC, was driving to a cut block to park and walk, saw what I thought was a Whitetail doe cross the road, I waited for the buck, turned out to be a Mulely, the "doe" was a Whitetail buck, after crossing the road they started "mixing it up" with their antlers, I was so fascinated I forgot to shoot even though I had tags for both.

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Redbird>
posted
More appropriate to the thread, you haven't really seen something to chill you through and through till, while walking through the woods, you suddenly discover you are right smack in the middle of a whiskey still. Has happened to me several times. Not ever sure whether anybody is around or not, I usually say out loud. " I am not the law, I ain't seen a damn thing, I am just going to back out of here and forget everything I ain't seen" Oh yea, strange things. One of the things "I ain't seen" was dead possums, birds and rats floating in the sour mash. Gives flavor I quess. Moonshine comes out of the still as a clear liquid. Been told that they way it gets its brown color is from tobacco spit. Bon Appetite ( don't know how to make them little squiggle things as accents)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, when one walks into a still, better ask for a sip right off the bat, then why would one do anything else.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
The traditional (eastern) mountain custom when one blunders onto a 'still is to very quickly put a stick onto the fire.

Mountain logic is, if someone feeds the fire they become a culprit as well and share in the legal "guilt."

Never had to test it: today, the 'still mostly in these parts has given 'way to meth-labs cookin' --which is even more an enterprise to avoid....

Paladin

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl D:
[B] I could not convince anyone that a large bull was among the horses right beside camp.[ /B]

Sure Daryl, sure.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two lost Christmas tree hunters under a bridge in Idaho. They'd been out for two nights afoot and had another 30 miles to get to pavement. They had nothing but good things to say about California lion hunters that night...

Another time lion huntin' in Nevada on a dead end dirt road 90 miles from a gas station we came across a cabin where a guy had 50 dogs of various kinds, 30 house cats(in the house!?) and two bengal tigers in a dog kennel. We ended up catching a lion right above his house and I could see it and the two tigers at the same time!--JM.

Posts: 60 | Location: CA USA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've come across albino kangaroos in the farmlands around Northern Victoria, was just out shooting a few rabbits, but I made it back to the car to get my camera and take some photos.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Many, many years ago I saw a small buck with what looked like a girdle tangled up in his rack.

A few weeks later the old neighbor lady was at our house visiting my grandmother and accused one of us kids stealing her girdle off the closeline.

I didn't say a word.

------------------
The older I get the better I was.

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine saw two chrismas trees moving along. It was a man trying to steal some trees. The man sat the trees down whenever my friend looked at him.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing like some of these examples....but

Let's see...

An albino coyote in Saskatchewan, Canada, hoping for the first snow, I'm sure.

Slid right by a grizzly and her cub on a late winter snow field in Glacier National Park. After I saw her rounding the rock, there was a brown streak following me......I just kept sliding.

Came on an absolutely gorgeous blonde nude sunbathing on a rock at a remote spring in the lower Grand Canyon. I just tipped my hat and stuttered out, "Nice day for a sun tan." and kept walking. She had a nice smile, too.....

Saw a migration or something of huns in central Montana, hundreds and hundreds of them flew over us, never seen anything like that.....

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman,

I have not seen an eagle roped. But my uncle Dutch roped a bobcat one day while we were gathering cattle. I thought it was neatest thing I had ever seen and he thought it was the neatest thing he ever done .... then the bobcat hit the end of the rope. It takes about 1.5 seconds for a full grown bobcat to come back up a 30 ft lariat rope. My uncle had put about three wraps around the saddle horn and was have hell getting it unwrapped and needless to the bay mare lost her cool and and hell broke lose. Dutch got dusted, horse run off and last time a saw that bobcat he was the proud owner of a new lariat rope. And I damn near fell off my horse I was laughing so hard.

Saludos...Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Redbird>
posted
Ray, while I ain't all that choosey about what I drink, I generally draw the line on anything with dead possums and birds floating in it, except for dire emergencies, of course. Only time I had a drink at one of the stills I walked up on was the day one of the moonshiners got the drop on me with a double barreled shotgun. He held the gun on me and made me drink from it. It was really bad stuff and I told him so. He smiled and said " Yea, I knowd hit were. Now you hold the gun on me and make me take a swig."

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind opossum but dead birds, gag!

Gingo,
Your sure right on the Bobcats they can be in ones lap in a hurry when roped..I roped about everything alive on a West Texas desert ranch and it constantly kept me in big touble..

I roped an antelope once off the fender of my Model A Ford and had him tied to the trailer hitch when I saw a dust trail comming and figured it was the game warden so my cousin yells get in the car and takes off to the house and we run into the barn to hide...Capt. Williams, the game Warden drives up and meets with my dad and yep, I forgot to turn the Antelope loose before making my break!!! deader n hell.

I got a real old fashion a$$ chewing and had to volutarily dig post holes around the jail and do odd jobs for a month during summer vacation..No charges filed, that's the way things used to be...

I got so much teasing and actually good natured harrassment over that from the adults in town like the barber, saddlemaker that I was ashamed to go to town...Wasn't a laughing matter to me.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<Fuzz>
posted
Me and my dad were out bird huntind one time,deer season was over and elk hadn't started. We cut through a patch of salal brush when we both stopped and looked down on a big pile of fur 3' in front of us. Well in a very short time we were looking in the eyes of a very nice size Blacktail Buck. He stood there for what seemed like a long time,(5-10 seconds). With my dad sorta in front of me and I with the only gun,a 22. Suddenly the buck spun around went about 30'stopped, looked at us for a short time,snorted then pranced off head held high.
Fuzz

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
A friend and I were hunting whitetails around a wheat field a couple of years ago, and had been watching several deer feeding for some time. One of the bucks was down on his knees grazing. We watched these deer for some time and that buck never got up off his knees. As the sun began to set my friend decided he wanted to shoot him. After the shot we made our way to the deer and when we got there we couldn't believe our eyes. The Buck's front legs had both been shot off at the knee. They were actually healed over a little and he seemed to be healthy and doing fine.

Jerry Huffaker
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
tohuffs@msn.com

[This message has been edited by Jerry Huffaker (edited 05-07-2002).]

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Near Wyarno Wyoming I watched an eagle attempting to take a fawn mule deer. The doe was protecting it by rearing up on her back legs striking with her front hooves as the eagle swooped in. The deer would run off as the eagle circled and came in for another attempt. This went on for a couple minutes until they went over a ridge out of my sight.

While elk hunting in the Big Horn Mountains I shot a coyote. Took some photos of it and left it there to pick up on my return back down the mountain. About an hour later I was several hundred yards above the spot situated where I could overlook the area. I saw another coyote running up the mountain. He had his nose in my tracks all the way and I shot him when he got within 35 yards.

I can only speculate they were a pair and I got the other's scent on my boots.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 12 years ago partner and I drew bull tags for an area west of Denver (unit 32?).
The area we were hunting (Chicago Creek) was accessible only by foot or horses so we were walking in (mostly up!)every morning from a campground below. On Friday, after setting up camp, we decided to hike up and check out our area. Just above camp there was a dead-end dirt road that we had to cross. When we got to the end of this track we found a camp set up just off the road. It consisted of an ratty old tent, VW bus and a loan camper. Scattered around the camp were perhaps 6-12 female manikens, devoid of any clothing, in various poses, just like you would see in a department store window! We were taken so aback that we just walked through, not saying a word. To this day I can't imagine what this guy was doing. Trying to scare away game, just visiting with some friends, or what. The camp was gone after the first or second day of the season. I had my camera but never thought to photograph the camp.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might sound a bit tame but you had to be there to appreciate it.

I was varmint hunting in the desert one day and walking quietly along, minding my own business, when I thought I heard something.
I stopped and listened for a moment and indeed I had heard "something." Just what it was, I hadn't a clue. Sort of a soft rustling sound. I started walking toward it and the closer I got, the louder it became. After 10 or 15 yeards I came to a dry, shallow gully. All down inside the thing were thousands upon thousands of ants. Half black and half red and they were staging a reenactment of WW-1 trench warfare. I stood there for some time watching them slaughter each other and finally walked down virtually among them..but they were far to busy killing each other to care about me. The actual battle line extended at least 20 feet.

I had heard about ants having wars before but that was the first time I ever witnessed one and it made quite an impression. Best I could tell, the Reds were winning.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
CGB
You may not want to know what that fella was doing That bring a funny word pic to mind just thinking about what it must of looked like.
Man there are some weird folks out there!
X-Ring

one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy was probably from Boulder.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JerrBear356>
posted
While turkey hunting, I saw a dog running after getting hit with a 10 gauge in the ass. And no, I did not shoot the dog. (I use a 12)

<halfbreed>
posted
redbird, i live near golden pond, in kentucky. the moonshiners of old took great pride in their shine! very clean and smooth. the assholes who put animals and birds in their mash barrels were usually the ones putting arsenic in it because they don't know how to make the good stuff.this gives it a kick, but also blinds people who don't know what to look for. they were usually the ones who got busted by the law, or better, shot by other shiners. kind of a un-written law. also lots of red shine made with a little kerosene, because again they don't know how to use red oak barrels.the good stuf is great and smooth, the bad is only good for blasting out stumps. halfbreed

------------------
overkill? how much more dead, is dead, than dead?

<Redbird>
posted
Halfbreed, didn't mean to imply they put the possums and birds in there on purpose. The mash was fermented in 55 gallon drums, buried flush with the ground, to avoid detection. That was how I often got into them before seeing it was a still. Many of the drums did not have lids. Possums and bird, deciding to " have a litte sip" fell in and drowned. Some of these guys were very ingenious. One set up used wet burlap bags for the condensor unit.
Sure ain't knocking the good stuff. Some can produce an alcohol content of 190 proof, the highest obtainable by distillation. In the area I was in you would often run into an old black man riding a mule with saddle bags filled with Mason jars visiting the " works". We named him "Bojangles" from the sound made by the jars as he rode.
Everybody adopted a "live and let live attitude" The old cotton gin commisary store in the community had sardines, crackers, a few shoes and overalls, rubber boots and 10,000 lbs of sugar in stock. Took a "city slicker" hunting there with me one day and we stopped at the store for lunch. He remarked out loud, " What the hell are they doing with all this sugar?" I told him out loud to shut his mouth and mind his own damn business. Lucky for him, he was with me. And, I didn't carry him back.