Find
Notify
Tools

Remington model 700 DM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
Whats the pro's and cons with the detachable magazine in the 700 bolt action.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had no experience with the 700 w/detachable mag; however, I did leave the mag for my mdl 788 on the kitchen table once. I then drove 200 miles to my deer hunting spot.................need I say more?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Gunnerdog>
posted
The biggest downfalls of a detachable magazine have to do with simple mechanics. In other words, the more moveable, or re-movable parts you have, the greater chance of something going wrong. Or, as was already mentioned, losing the magazine.

The good thinks all have to do with convenience. You can have the mag loaded and out of the rifle. To load, you simply insert the mag and cycle the action.

Personally, I don't really care much about a detachable mag. I am just as happy with a standard mag with a floor plate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in my Mountain Rifle in 30-06. I like the idea that I can climb my tree stand, insert a clip and chamber a round and I'm ready. Sure it's possible to forget your clip, but couldn't we also forget our ammo, license, etc.?

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob257:
I have one in my Mountain Rifle in 30-06. I like the idea that I can climb my tree stand, insert a clip and chamber a round and I'm ready. Sure it's possible to forget your clip, but couldn't we also forget our ammo, license, etc.?

Bob257

I have a 7mm-08 and a 280 M700 Mountain Rifle DM.

I agree with with Bob257 100%. I just double check that I have my clip when I leave the house.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose: I bought a Remington 700 SS with DBM for my youngest son over 3 years ago. The Rifle is in caliber 25/06 and has a Leupold 4.5X14 scope on it! The Rifle is accurate well made and I just last year bought a spare DBM for it. The feeding function from the DBM's works perfectly and no jams or slow downs so far. We have shot the Rifle about 65 times so far at the range and in the field. We have been using Remington factory ammunition with it so far (saving the brass of course) and we are just about to start handloading for it. The Rifle deal came with 3 boxes of factory ammo and I bought a fourth to finish this past season with. I have a somewhat difficult time pushing the two opposing release levers for the DBM but I am stricken with a painful condition with very limited strength in my thumbs and first fingers - caused by arthritis. My sons (both teenagers) have no trouble at all releasing the DBM. I have recently graphited the release levers and they work a little better for me now. I took this Rifle on an Antelope Hunt this past fall as a back up to my 240 Weatherby. Out of curiousity I decided to use it as the primary Rifle. Mostly because of the scope. All my Big Game Hunting Rifles had long been put together before the Leupold 4.5X14 was available and I wanted to give it a test Hunt. The scope worked perfectly and helped me make a long one shot kill on a nice buck Antelope! The "extra" magazine full of cartridges in my Hunting jacket pocket gave me a reassuring kind of feeling! I think it is a great idea. Anyone that has done a few years worth of Antelope Hunting will appreciate quickly available extra rounds! Thinking about it at the time I mused that I had never Hunted Big Game with any Rifle that used a removable magazine! And again I came to the conclusion that it was a good idea! The extra magazine carried a retail price of $37.00 most places (this for the fully stainless model - LA clip). I got mine somewhere on "a deal" for about $25.00 and should have bought another at the same time! The DBM holds 4 cartridges and one in the chamber makes a total of 5 rounds. Good luck if you decide to try one - ours has been a very good experience so far.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 01-07-2003, 01:46: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks guys , someone had mentioned being afraid of windy days getting sand up in between the clip. I have a browning BAR which has a clip but it is on a hinged floor plate . I also have a Remington pump o6 and i have never had any problems with it nor has anyone in my club with there remington semi-autos. I would guess that the clip in the 700 must be close to if not the same . Now to see if the 700DM comes in .338 ultra mag. Thanks again Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote