Find
Notify
Tools

Backtags?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted
Does your state require you to wear a backtag while hunting deer? Wisconsin does. The backtag is about half the size of a car's license plate. Bright green for bow/gun hunting and purple for ag damage control, with big black numbers.

I remember that Michigan used to issue backtags but dropped them years ago. It seems like an outdated idea and I can't help but to feel slightly insulted by the implication that I'm probably up to no good and need to be marked for easy identification.

None of the other states where I've hunted big game require a backtag. Does yours?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
New Mexico does not require this. We don't even have to wear hunter orange except on military bases.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This season is the first in which PA will not require a backtag

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember years ago that Maryland did. Not sure if they still do. It was a bit smaller than a Runners Bib.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Missouri.....no

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:

Wow. Pennsylvania is dropping backtags. What's next...allowing autoloaders?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Close, but no cigar yet.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There talk about doing away with in Wis but I think it was derailed by the recall election.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No in Colorado

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming no!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Here's your answer

Part of the above story reads "only Wisconsin, Delaware, New York and New Jersey still require back tags". I live in New York and there are three bills in our legislature as we speak trying to do away with them.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by joester:

Wow. Pennsylvania is dropping backtags. What's next...allowing autoloaders?

Or hunting on Sunday!!!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in 11 different states and the only place I ever had to do it was PA. Never understood why it was required in the first place. I usually keep my tags in and licenses in a ziplock bag that is in a closed off pouch on daypack.

Pirate

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Georgia does not.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:

I live in New York and there are three bills in our legislature as we speak trying to do away with them.

Its worse than that......the Northern zone and Catskill Park doesn't require back tags......but the rest of the Southern zone does in NY.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I got my first backtag many years ago --42yrs. in Pa. Even though not necessary, I still put the license in it and wear it when hunting.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote