Notify
Tools

Pay by day pig hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:
Lots of ADHD folks on here. The guy asked where he could pay to go hunt and it turned into the same old tired discussion about free access and price gouging landowners. horse

Yeah, kind of funny how things turn yo another subject.

I do appreciate the references however. Sounds like there are some options to look at.

In the meantime, maybe I’ll look at hunting some coons....

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still occasionally see adds from farmers/ranchers that offer free all you can shoot coyote hunting.

Getting rid of vermin/pests should be payment enough, provided you prove yourself to be a safe and appreciative individual willing to follow any and all restrictions imposed by the landowner. JMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've had access to some pretty prime hunting. But it takes a lot of gasoline and a lot of shoe leather. Knocking on doors during the off season. Try to catch the owners when they're not busy; give them a chance to look you over; talk to you. So they can size you up.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had just as much right to make his comment as you did to make yours back at him CHC and to quote one of your favorite comments: "Who made you a Moderator?"

Did I say anywhere that he didn't??? Care to answer that????? I simply stated that NO ONE, including YOU is forced to respond to ANY comment ANY member makes??????

THE issue is about Pay By The Day Pig Hunting In Texas, Yes or NO????

I have simply been pointing out, that landowners here in Texas have the RIGHT to charge whatever they want! Do I believe some charge too much, YES, but there is No Law stipulating what they can charge or what rules they choose to impose!

Some folks DO try to be reasonable with their prices, some don't.

But you go ahead and tell ALL OF US why it is wrong for someone to ask an amount for a service/product, when there ARE people willing to pay that price???

It is called Capitalism/Free Enterprise! Is that NOT one of the cornerstones our country was founded on???? Care to answer that?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
He had just as much right to make his comment as you did to make yours back at him CHC and to quote one of your favorite comments: "Who made you a Moderator?"

Did I say anywhere that he didn't??? Care to answer that????? I simply stated that NO ONE, including YOU is forced to respond to ANY comment ANY member makes??????

THE issue is about Pay By The Day Pig Hunting In Texas, Yes or NO????

I have simply been pointing out, that landowners here in Texas have the RIGHT to charge whatever they want! Do I believe some charge too much, YES, but there is No Law stipulating what they can charge or what rules they choose to impose!

Some folks DO try to be reasonable with their prices, some don't.

But you go ahead and tell ALL OF US why it is wrong for someone to ask an amount for a service/product, when there ARE people willing to pay that price???

It is called Capitalism/Free Enterprise! Is that NOT one of the cornerstones our country was founded on???? Care to answer that?

You're a real pip CHC! That comment you made was essentially that he shouldn't have posted what he did and mine back to you was very simple to understand by MOST people with basic reading comprehension. NO, it's not an issue, but rather a question by the OP if there were pay by the day places to hunt hogs. I also have never made any comments about prices being charged and I could give a rats ass who charges what for anything so I guess about the only thing I agree with on your post to me is I agree that they can charge whatever they want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but rather a question by the OP if there were pay by the day places to hunt hogs. I also have never made any comments about prices being charged and I could give a rats ass who charges what for anything so I guess about the only thing I agree with on your post to me is I agree that they can charge whatever they want.

Yes Sir, that IS what the discussion was SUPPOSED to be about and I was merely explaining some of the reasons why the majority of Texas Land Owners want to charge what they do and some of the reasons they have the rules they do concerning hunting on their property.

I really did not see my comments about the hunter shooting the feed barrel as being disparaging toward that particular hunter or hunters in general I was merely pointing out that even veteran/seasoned/experienced hunters can make mistakes, I also commented that I gained respect for the person for taking responsibility for his mistake.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your entire response to my post had absolutely nothing to do with what I said. The entire reason for my initial short post was telling you that you had no reason to make that comeback to him about beating a dead horse. Then you go off on another tangent in your last post that has nothing to do with what I posted. Maybe before typing from now on you should slowly reread another's post several times to try to comprehend/understand what was stated before you come back with one of your off the wall posts like you seem to continually do. Here's hoping you have a Happy Easter weekend with Lora and let me know if you need any more help other than what I sent recently in my PM about your intended antelope hunt in Wyoming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great comments, including those from CHC.

I’m glad this is an open, lightly moderated forum. It’s always good
to hear a few different angles. I know little about Texas but the
few times I’ve hunted there, I’ve really enjoyed it.

Happy Easter to you and your families.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your entire response to my post had absolutely nothing to do with what I said. The entire reason for my initial short post was telling you that you had no reason to make that comeback to him about beating a dead horse. Then you go off on another tangent in your last post that has nothing to do with what I posted. Maybe before typing from now on you should slowly reread another's post several times to try to comprehend/understand what was stated before you come back with one of your off the wall posts like you seem to continually do. Here's hoping you have a Happy Easter weekend with Lora and let me know if you need any more help other than what I sent recently in my PM about your intended antelope hunt in Wyoming.

A Happy Easter to you and yours also, and the information you sent is gratefully appreciated, Many Thanks.

As for the rest of you quoted comment above, maybe you should stop and comprehend the possibility/probabilty that a lot of us on here are guilty of reading hidden means INTO another persons comments, instead of just reading the comment indstead of trying to figure out how much better of a response could have been made/how it could have been worded "Better"!

Like I say, if a person has a problem with ANY other members comments/responses/posts, they have multiple avenues they can avail themselves of to keep from having to suffer from that angst.

The PTB's have provided one avenue via the "Ignore User" feature, then there is the old stand-by of simply having the guts/nuts and backbone to simply ignore anyone causing the member that much grief, then there is the apparently dying concept of "Freedom Of Speech/Thought", at least on AR that it seems like our host, a resident of the UAE, is one of the few that seem to value the concept.

The last line of defense, is simply stating "I Do Not Agree"!

When folks on AR accept the FACT that about the only things AR members have in common is an interest in guns and hunting.

Other than those two base concepts all of us have been raised differently, developed our individual views on life and our role in it, come from differing societal/economic backgrounds and just simply view life from our own personal experiences of which very few of us have had the exact same experiences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

My questions is: do any of you know of any ranches where you can pay by the day, or a few days and shoot unlimited pigs?

No!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But you could do like I do,

pay a couple thousand dollars per year for a trespass lease, $600 per jack-up feeder, $500 to $3.$K for a blind, whatever your budget will allow for a RV/cabin and then $300 to $500 per trip ( includes gas, groceries, libation, corn, supplies). Then you can go as often, stay as long and shoot as many as you want/can afford.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And all along I thought GWB owned the property he's taking all those great animals on that he posts the pictures of on the site!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
And all along I thought GWB owned the property he's taking all those great animals on that he posts the pictures of on the site!

Nope,

been there and done that on land ownership. Never again.

I've been on 6 different trespass leases on ranches varying from 750 acres to 60,000 plus acres. Four were in the Texas hill country, one north of Brackettville and now one down in south Texas brush country.

I tell folks I have a "beer lease" and a "deer lease". My south Texas lease has rules an regulations and big deer. My oldest son and I have a section apiece. That's my deer lease.

My "beer lease" is the old Dolph Briscoe homestead ranch. Eight other guys and I have a 1,700 acre pasture. No power, no water, no cell service, no rules, just the way I like it.

course there are other advantages

Only one other guy goes up like I do and he does not hunt much.

This last week, I got there on Wednesday and left this morning. Other than my bud, and a border patrol officer that checked me out after I triggered one of their cams, I did not see another human being there. I have the run of 1,700 acres.

In the mean time, I trapped some hoglets,

Caught two coons using coon cuffs,

snared a hog

and took the loins.

shot a jake,

breasted him out

Didn't have to service the well, mend any fences or pay any property taxes. Didn't have to worry about cows and the problems they create, nor trespassers or poachers or lost souls. Don't have to get up and follow a guide to put me on game.

I sat out till 10PM each night and watched beautiful moon rises both Thursday and Friday eve.

All n' all, it suits me!

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics GW...!!

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome post GW! I'll bet that moon coming up was something to see. Watching the moon rise like that and all the stars that seemed so close that you could touch them when I used to hunt down in south Texas with my Dad over about 20 years makes some great memories for me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Places like that can be hard to come by and the guys that I know that have leases up here, once they get on a good one they do whatever they can to stay on it.

Your a lucky man Glenn to have got on such a place. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Places like that can be hard to come by and the guys that I know that have leases up here, once they get on a good one they do whatever they can to stay on it.

Your a lucky man Glenn to have got on such a place. tu2

Randall, you are 100% correct. Been on my "beer lease" for 14 years now. Thought I was going to lose it as four guys got off and we had to find four folks that would "fit" to replace them. But that's a story for a different time.

Anywho, apologies to the OP, for hi-jacking your thread. A "legit" place to go where one can pay by the day and shoot unlimited hogs that is not a "put n' take" operation is going to be difficult to find.

Bob Connell, who posts here on AR as Bobcat has a group called "the Texas Predator Posse". He organizes 3 to 4 hog hunt per year. It's been years since I hunted with Bob, but the fee for the hunt which lasts from Friday afternoon until Sunday noon was $450 per person. They provide sleeping quarters and a place to cook. You supply your food and libation. You might touch base with him.

Only other "paid" hog hunt I've done, which I've done in March the last 3 years with 25 other guys from 24hourcampfire, is on the Thompson Ranch, Crystal City, Texas with Kevin Cross, Prickly Pear Outfitters.

Group rate was $900 for Wednesday thru Sunday. Five star accommodations, a lodge, three meals a day prepared by a chef, beer and soft drinks included. Guides take you to your stand, pick you up, and skin your kill. They hunt three or four neighboring ranches. You can shoot 3 hogs for that price, 4th hog is an extra $100. Limit is 4 hogs. Tips for cook, maids and guides extra. This is no put and take operation, and there are plenty of hogs. I hunt year round and kill 50 to 60 each year at my leases. I was totally amazed at the number of hogs over 200 lbs. that were killed this year.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The number you say you alone kill a year GW is prime evidence that hunting will never knock the population down the way many would like it kept. They are just too prolific and smart to curb and that's why trapping and especially aerial gunning is coming more and more into play where there is enough open areas to do the latter. People that have never seen what a sounder can do to crops in just a night or two would think that a bulldozer had done the damage they can do!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
https://www.hoghunting1.com/pr...-for-24-hours-to-buy

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

ATTENTION MEMBERS: The place in that advertisement is a big rip off and operated under another name until it was closed down by the Texas AG due to consumer complaints. All they did was change the name and ownership to a close relative and went right back to their con job. Enter their free hog hunt, which is not free by any means when you add up all the added charges, and I guarantee you'll get an email back that you're the winner. It happened to me and will happen to any of you that enter it too! Notice that they make no mention of the ranch size! That's because it's a tiny chunk of property that they dump hogs on that have been trapped, so buyer beware!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
How does that saying go...if it sounds to good to be true it probably is...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Topgun.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote