New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pay by day pig hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few years back, me and a friend hunted a ranch that was full of pigs. They were trying to get rid of them and we were asked to shoot as many as we could. We had a great time.

This was a friend of a friends ranch and therefore, it was not advertised to be a hunting ranch. I wish it was as I’d be more than happy to pay to go back.

My questions is: do any of you know of any ranches where you can pay by the day, or a few days and shoot unlimited pigs? I’d like to take a few friends, possibly my two sons.

Maybe this is unrealistic. I’m not really interested in a one pig hunt (nothing wrong with it, just not interested). In other words I’d prefer quantity over quality/size.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of us would like that. But seems that even though pigs over running places, the people with them just have to want to rip you off. Did have one , two invites to hunt and shoot all I could, but both owners died before I could get to their places. Couple I looked at $300 for two days, but then had to leave a tip for the staff, and $75 a pig to butcher them, as you not allowed to, and so much for a guide, which only drove you out to the hide. BS like that that ran the price up real quick. I'd love to go help out controlling these pigs, but not wanting to be ripped off.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one a 100.00 dollar a day shoot as many as possible keep leave them up to you.

We brought back many coolers of pork.

Reasonable in IMHO for a shoot all you can hunt.

The rancher did nothing but say there are hogs out there go kill them. We did all the butchering ect ect.

My contact moved away lost the opportunity for six plus years more then one trip per year.

We shot a lot of pigs all spot and stalk and still hunting.

Last I heard that rancher ran into legal trouble and it is not available any more.

I would like to find another.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Race Bannon:
https://www.bigwoods.net/

Kind of expensive. IMHO

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well certainly not the value of a $100/day

But given it includes two nights lodging, two meals a day, and if it includes 1/2 hunting on Friday and Sunday, $855 is a pretty competitive price given what else is available in the market.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, check your pm's

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
A lot of us would like that. But seems that even though pigs over running places, the people with them just have to want to rip you off. Did have one , two invites to hunt and shoot all I could, but both owners died before I could get to their places. Couple I looked at $300 for two days, but then had to leave a tip for the staff, and $75 a pig to butcher them, as you not allowed to, and so much for a guide, which only drove you out to the hide. BS like that that ran the price up real quick. I'd love to go help out controlling these pigs, but not wanting to be ripped off.

I did a hunt just like you described, it was a blast! The staff worked their butts off to make sure our rooms were clean, we had good meals to eat, and we never went thirsty. Yeah, the guides aren't really guides but ours made sure to put us in where there was a lot of hog sign.

The package I got included two hogs and unlimited varmints, additional hogs and exotics could be taken for a fee. I went down to the Double C ranch www.huntingwithjeff.com in April, and I happily paid the fees for the guides to field dress my hogs due to fleas and ticks. I also happily paid the processing fees as I had an almost 1100 mile drive back home, and having coolers full of already frozen pork was a plus in my mind.

I only killed two hogs, didn't feel like I needed to shoot anymore even though I had ample opportunity. Met a lot of cool guys, enjoyed great food, and hung out with my brother in law for a total of five days. Yes it wasn't cheap and I'd gladly pay for that trip again, I didn't have to worry about anything except the drive down and back.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is going to be hard to find someone that will just let a hunter shoot all the hogs they can and let them lay.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I agree with some of you guys
Pigs are major problem for ranchers and farmers; besides being non native animal so one would think getting rid of them would be utmost priority
Seems it is not a priority then?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milan, how much land do you own???????

If you owned several hundred or thousand acres and people were openly willing to PAY you to gain access to that property to shoot pigs, would you NOT take it?????????

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Access to someone's property is a matter of trust! Money won't get just anyone in someone's house why would you think land is any different? I can tell you too many stories of bad apples. Most land owners would rather have the pigs and just bitch about the damage!

Posts: 750 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I agree with some of you guys
Pigs are major problem for ranchers and farmers; besides being non native animal so one would think getting rid of them would be utmost priority
Seems it is not a priority then?

Hog are a business for some, a nuisance for others. The problem is most of us only have contact with the guys who are in business. If you want to hunt hogs cheaply you're going to have to work harder to find those hunts than just typing an internet search. The guys who want them gone would probably let hunters kill them for little cost, but you have to be there when they want/need you and not when you want to go. It isn't Burger King, you don't get it your way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 700 acres that is a absolutely overrun with the damn things. They are wrecking things for my deer/turkey hunting. I have pictures with 40 or more at a single feeder that I could see.

Would I let someone in to shoot them? Not a damage chance. The liability issues are far too great. They don’t know where they are. Even with directions, they would end up in places they shouldn’t be. Plus the chances of damage and littering.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have 700 acres that is a absolutely overrun with the damn things. They are wrecking things for my deer/turkey hunting. I have pictures with 40 or more at a single feeder that I could see.

Would I let someone in to shoot them? Not a damage chance. The liability issues are far too great. They don’t know where they are. Even with directions, they would end up in places they shouldn’t be. Plus the chances of damage and littering.

You should retire early from your CPA business and start a guided hog hunting service on that 700 acres!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread was never intended to try and get a "cheap" or free hunt. Mainly, it was intended to do a lot of shooting, and understandably pay for it! I realize nothing is ever perfect and I will certainly look into the recommendations.

As far as land owners are concerned, it's their property and I could not care less how they manage it. They earned it and good for them!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would I let someone in to shoot them? Not a damage chance.

So you know no one that is reliable enough to hunt and kill pigs on your land.

As a land owner also I have friends that have a standing invite to use my properties as their own.

I have the same right on theirs. They know me well I know them well.

I have no worries on what they well do they have no worries what I well do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
This thread was never intended to try and get a "cheap" or free hunt. Mainly, it was intended to do a lot of shooting, and understandably pay for it! I realize nothing is ever perfect and I will certainly look into the recommendations.

As far as land owners are concerned, it's their property and I could not care less how they manage it. They earned it and good for them!

The people I quoted were who I was responding to. $100 a day per hunter isn't exactly what I'd consider going cheap. Especially if you aren't expecting food and lodging to be included at that price. The problem I find with a lot of the $100 a day hunts offered on the internet is they have trophy fees on hogs or you're allowed one hog under 50 lbs and one up to 150 lbs.

There is also public land you can hunt for free in TX and other states that have wild hogs with no limits. However, like any public land hunt you may not be successful. It'll be a lot of legwork to find the right hunt but it can be done, I guarantee you there is someone who will cater to the type of hunt you want. You just either have to wade through all the offers or pay a service to book you the hunt you want. This hunt you want it might be advantageous to use a service, since they usually have a much larger network to resources to pull from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
up here we don't have hogs, but we do have deer, pheasants, duck turkeys etc. i see day by day farmers letting people on to hunt without charging them, and those who won't let anyone on their land. It's getting so that the latter outnumber the former. and we wonder why our young people are giving up hunting

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's getting so that the latter outnumber the former. and we wonder why our young people are giving up hunting

What I found is when one starts charging or not letting any one hunt it quickly spreads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hog are a business for some, a nuisance for others. The problem is most of us only have contact with the guys who are in business. If you want to hunt hogs cheaply you're going to have to work harder to find those hunts than just typing an internet search. The guys who want them gone would probably let hunters kill them for little cost, but you have to be there when they want/need you and not when you want to go. It isn't Burger King, you don't get it your way.

What too many folks do not take into consideration, is that even the best hunters with a typed sheet of property rules and restrictions, can/do and will mess up.

To give an example the pig hunts I offer are guided, my boss offers unguided hunts to groups as he does not like to mess with guiding hunters.

One of the groups that has been coming down here annualy for six or seven years now, came down the first part of this month to go a 3 day hunt.

After they left I was resetting the time on the feeders and refilling them and at one feeder when I cranked it down, I noticed a bullet hole in the lid of the feeder. Upon removing the lid, I discovered that about 40 pounds or so of corn was moldy and stuck to the side of the funnel that drops the corn onto the spinner plate.

I got a small hoe-like tool I carry in the pick-up to use in such situations and got all the wet/moldy stuff out of the barrel and let it air out for a few minutes then set it upright on its legs and that is when I notice a second bullet hole in the side pof the barrel with a quarter sized exit hole on the other side.

Long story short, the hunter that hunted that stand, and has been hunting down here at least six times, tried shooting a damn coon off the top of the feed barrel.

Land owners open themselves to all kinds of possible nightmares letting unsupervised people on their property, regardless the reason.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Did you see this hunter attempt to shoot this coon off the top?, did he tell you he attempted to shoot this coon off the top? did someone else seem him do this and told you? did someone else tell you that he (the hunter) told them he attempted to shoot this coon of the top?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that a lot of folks that the ranchers have let hunt pigs turned out to be more of a problem than the pigs..I sent a group on a free hunt at my nephews ranch,and he ended up running them off..beer cans, candy wrappers, torn up roads when wet, lot of things wrong..Happens a lot, so if you find a place, take care of it, finding a coke or beer can caught on a cows foot will end your welcome..At one time most any rancher in Texas would allow pig hunting but hard to find a place these days without pay...but a lot of ranches in Texas will allow you trespass for about $100 to $125 per day..Ive booked for a number of ranches at that price, but just got to be more trouble than its worth, a 10% commission on a $100 per day is not cost effective, so not many booking agent book pig hunts..Call the chamber of commerce in any Texas town and they sometimes have a list of ranches offering hunts for deer, pigs, and all manor of game.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you see this hunter attempt to shoot this coon off the top?, did he tell you he attempted to shoot this coon off the top? did someone else seem him do this and told you? did someone else tell you that he (the hunter) told them he attempted to shoot this coon of the top?

Well, since this group has been hunting annualy, a couple of time TWICE in one year, my boss and I have became pretty well acquainted with them as the core group has been the same individuals with a newbie brought along from time to time.

The only way a person can see the feeder and the stand or get to either is thru one of TWO locked gates and neither of the feeders can be seen from any roads. I had made a guess at what happened and which one of the group most likely did it.

When the group arrived at camp I was off checking feeders on some of the other properties, but when my boss was collecting money and getting Liability Waivers signed, he tyold them about what I had found at that one feeder, and the hunter owned up to it in front of the group and openly admitted he was trying to shoot a coon off the top of the feeder.

So contrary or inspite of what you seem to believe, I am out on these properties 7 days a week checking stock/feeders/blinds/fences etc. all properties are locked, and all the feeders are located in spots where NONE of them can be seen from the county roads and there are only 4 of our stands/blinds can be seen from a county road or highway, IF a person knows what to look for.

This whole area has a damn good "unofficial" Neighborhood Watch group and we all make a point of getting to know the hunters or at least their vehicles that lease the neighboring properties, and if any of us se0e anything out of place we eitherr call the land owner or the Game Warden.

So I didn't start making accusations to my boss, because I keep a daily log of my activities so I can keep up with when a feeder is going to need filling. There was not any holes in the barrel before the group was here and then when I went to service it before they came back, I found the holes.

After filling it and cranking it back in place, because I have to crank it up with the solar panel set in a position to get the maximum amount of sunlight to keep the battery that runs the timer and spin plate charged up.

When I checked, the bullet holes lined up with the windows on the blind, so no, I did not go on a witch hunt and my boss simply asked/told them not to be shooting at coons setting on top of the feed barrel!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn't believe or not believe anything; that is why I asked the question.

You have no idea what I believe (unless you are a mind reader or perhaps you are clairvoyant in which case hats off to you), so your statement of:

"So contrary or inspite of what you seem to believe..." is unwarranted.

Not sure why it took 8 paragraphs to say:

"when my boss was collecting money and getting Liability Waivers signed, he tyold them about what I had found at that one feeder, and the hunter owned up to it in front of the group and openly admitted he was trying to shoot a coon off the top of the feeder."

One of the keys to communications, is understanding the others persons perspective and I am not sure I understand yours.

It would appear you view this other hunters behavior as negative and wish to publicize it to prove a point which subsequently casts another hunter in a negative light. Yet in numerous other posts (if IIRC) you consistently object to hunters talking negatively about other hunters activities regardless of whether opinions are right or wrong.

So I am just seeking to understand your perspective which appears to be inconsistent.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I am just seeking to understand your perspective which appears to be inconsistent.

Okay, if you are honestly interested, I do not complain about what ANY HUNTER ANYWHERE DOES AS LONG AS THEY ARE DOING IT LEGALLY!

I may not be interested in some particular forms of hunting that are LEGAL, so I do not do them, but anybody that wants to participate in them is more than welcome to do so as far as I am concerned.

The situation with the feeder getting shot is nothing more than a realistic example of what even a vetran/seasoned/exerience hunter can do, purely by accident, in this case not making sure of his target by attempting a real low success shot at a target that really did not need to be shot at.

He was there hunting pigs, not coons. By taking those two shots, if nothing else he screwed his own chances for possibly getting a shot at any pigs that might have been coming into the feeder.

No one will ever know for sure because if there were pigs working their way toward the feeder, at the sound of the shots if they were there, they were gone.

That incident is why I guide hunters, even those on the $100.00 a day hunts I run, I want them to kill pigs if at all possible.

They cannot do that if they are taking pot shots at coons, 10 feet or so up on a feed barrel at 135 yards.

The only thing that made my boss upset was the damage to the feeder, those things cost $$$ both in materials and labor to repair/replace.

Besides if the shooter wanted the coon that bad, he had plenty of time to shoot it when it was on the ground under the feeder.

As to your comment about OPINIONS being right or wrong, opinions are nothing more than that, FACTS are right or wrong, opinions are just an expression of an individuals thoughts/beliefs on any subject usually but not always based on their personal experiences and very few people completely share the exact same life experiences.

As far as I am concerned, the hunter that shot the barrel gained "Brownie Points" with me for admitting he did it, and in front of his buddies!

To me that showed some good personal integrity, especially in our modern society where it seems No One wants to take responsibility for their actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sofa

Uh, oh, here it comes......

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
CHC,

Your last post is all very interesting but still doesn't answer the inconsistency question and it now appears you are changing the implication of your original post.

I don't think it is unreasonable to say your first post on the raccoon incident publicizes negative behavior which is why landowners are reluctant to allow hunting because some hunter, even experienced ones, always do something dumb. IMO that only promotes divisiveness and provides fuel to anti-hunters.

Excerpts from your first post:

1) "What too many folks do not take into consideration, is that even the best hunters with a typed sheet of property rules and restrictions, can/do and will mess up."

2) "Long story short, the hunter that hunted that stand, and has been hunting down here at least six times, tried shooting a damn coon off the top of the feed barrel."

Now you're saying it was more an innocuous error and you even called it an accident and it's an issue of being unsure of the target and the back stop and it's just an example of how things can easily go wrong for even experienced hunters.

Excerpt from your third (last) post:

"The situation with the feeder getting shot is nothing more than a realistic example of what even a vetran/seasoned/exerience hunter can do, purely by accident, in this case not making sure of his target by attempting a real low success shot at a target that really did not need to be shot at."

But your second post contradicts the above because it states he "openly admitted he was trying to shoot a coon off the top of the feeder".

The above is not the description of an accident or being unsure of a target and backstop.

I still don't see an explanation of what appears to be logically inconsistent communications by you. You in numerous other posts that hunters A & B should not "argue" in a public arena about X type of hunting method because it's exactly what the anti-hunters want or may use against hunters because it shows division but it's ok for me (CHC) to discuss in a public forum some incident involving another hunter and cast that other hunter in a negatively light for causing property damage (even though it appears you now you might casting some positive light for fessing up) especially when nothing positive will come out of that negative public discussion. The incident is over and done with and appears to have been resolved and if it wasn't resolved back then, discussing it here isn't going to resolve it anyway.

If your point was to remind hunters to always conduct themselves in a safe manner and respect the landowners property that could have been done without the negative story which disparages hunters.

You don't need to respond because I believe it was you said that "if I have caused you to think, it was time well spent" or words to that affect.

For JTEX, sorry if I disappointed you Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I am trying to say is that from my personal experiences, and that includes mistakes I have made that have came back to haunt me, anytime a landowner allows a person on to their property, there is always the potential for things to go wrong.

You and I are simply going to have to agree to disagree. I feel that my statements accurately explain what happened, and you are reading into my statements.

Had the hunter, made the shot and knocked the coon off of the feeder, WITHOUT hitting the feeder, nobody would have cared and we most likely would have congratulated him on making such a shot.

My boss simply explained to the group that taking such shots was not apprerciated.

Not sure what you are trying to get at, but you have your reasons and I can not do anything to change your mind.

A paying hunter did something that he did not have to, but he was/is man enough to admit to his mistake, I do not understand what your problem is.

The example I gave about the feeder getting shot is really no different than talking about hunters opening and not closing pasture gates or closing open pasture gates when they should not.

I do not know about any of the other Texans on here or folks in other states that live/work/own farms and ranches, but it has always been an unwritten rule, at least in the parts od Texas I have hunted in, gates are left as you find them!

If it is closed, close it when you go thru it! If it is open when you get to it, Leave it open.

I really do not understand what you are trying to say or have issue with, but having been an actual participant in the issue, I believe it was all handled as it should have been.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
That digressed quickly.

Three things that will off road a conversation on these threads.

1. That every rancher in the south wants pigs gone.

2. But they want top dollar.

3. We the non-landed gentry are assholes for not wanting to get ripped off.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a man can't kill a coon on a feeder at 135 yards from a stand, he either needs to learn how to shoot or how to sight in his rifle or both. Pretty pitiful shooting.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That digressed quickly.

Yes it did, but some actual points were brought out.

Three things that will off road a conversation on these threads.

1. That every rancher in the south wants pigs gone.

They do not necessarily want them gone, just reduced in numbers so they do not do so much damage, but most landowners have accepted the idea that hogs can not be managed like deer can be.

2. But they want top dollar.

Not all ranchers want Top Dollar, but they do have the right to ask whatever the market will bear as far as pricing is concerned, not meaning to brag, but from what I have seen looking around the various source the boss and I offer some of the more reasonable hunts around.

3. We the non-landed gentry are assholes for not wanting to get ripped off.

Not at all the problem comes from the attitudes of folks on both sides. Landowners want to make a little $$ for allowing people on their property but they also have to consider such things as litter on their property, hunters trespassing on to neighboring properties, gates being left open or closed that do not need to be, lost hunters on their property, damage to their property by vehicles driving intpo areas they shouldn't.

From experience, YES there are people offering "Hog Hunts" for what I feel is way too much to charge, but if folks are willing to pay it, it is hard for me to lay the blame on the land owners or their agent.

In many cases these hunts are ran by a guide/outfitter or other agent and the hunters may never actually meet the Land Owner. In this area, the majority of land owners do not want to take the time away from their family or normal business schedule to hasve to deal with hunters, that may or may not really know what they are doing, especially concerning hunting hogs.

Reality is, as long as there are "Hunters" willing to jump on something and spend whatever to do a "Pig Hunt" without doing some research on the outfit they are dealing with there is going to be a lot of misinformation and mistrust between hunters and landowners concerning pig hunting on private properties.

Being totally honest here, in the past the boss and I have discussed the pricing of hog hunts on his properties and one topic that used to come up frequently concerned what other operations were "Charging" for a "Hunt". My consistant response is that those operations are ASKING that amount, but how many hunts arev the ACTUALLY selling! The down side of that is that as long as they sell any at that price they will keep doing it and other people will believe they can do the same, it is not a Perfect World either for hunters por landowners.

At my age and in this area I can remember when the world was a little more perfect and the majority of landowners had no problem letting local people on their properties, because they knew there would be no trash left, gates would be left as they were found and if the vperson saw something that they thought might be an issue they would go by the land owners home and report on what they saw. Things arev not that way anymore and it is sad for both sides.

All I can advise is if a person is interested in doing a pig hunt check around before commiting and get a reasonable understanding of what the land owners rules are concerning access to their land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of ADHD folks on here. The guy asked where he could pay to go hunt and it turned into the same old tired discussion about free access and price gouging landowners. horse

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone force you to make a comment, and does it really matter to you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Did anyone force you to make a comment, and does it really matter to you?

He had just as much right to make his comment as you did to make yours back at him CHC and to quote one of your favorite comments: "Who made you a Moderator?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up all season outfitters. shoot from a blind, he cooks a good meal, and he will let you help butcher.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or go with crazyhorse, he won't let you butcher, but not because he charges you he's just stubborn Wink

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
"Did anyone force you to make a comment, and does it really matter to you?"

yuck from a guy who has posted on average more than 6 times a day every day for 12 years straight rotflmo you crack me up

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pissers

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote