New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Sticks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see a lot of referance to shooting 'off hand' Why? What on earth reason would anyone have to shoot 'off hand' when for a couple of dollars they could avail themselves of a pair of shooting sticks?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point 1894, Anything that remotely resembles a rest, I use. However, if you shoot enough in the field you will, at times, shoot off-hand. Shooting off-hand is perhaps the most challenging.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
1894 - I agree with you 95%. However, there are those opportunities that occur in hunting that require quick decision making and quicker shooting. I have taken a few animals offhand that I did not have the luxury of time to shoot off sticks. I have taken 4 buff - all were offhand shots because I simply did not have the time nor did I want the commotion of setting up the sticks.

Without a question, I would always choose to shoot of sticks. A steady rest is critical in shot placement no matter how good of a off hand shot you think you are.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the deer I have shot were snap shots and I didn't have but a few seconds to get off a shot. So far I haven't missed. The one deer I got to take my time to shoot, I shot from the kneeling position.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<DEATHMERCHANT308>
posted
Can you buy a set of these sticks from somewhere? Or do you need to make them?

Death Merchant

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can buy ready made shooting stick in tripod bipod (or quadpod) format or even a single stick. Because they are such a simple aid most people I know choose to make their own. For bipod style simply cut two hazel sticks 6 feet long and an inch in diameter and then tie then together figures of eight style with a leather strap or hoover drive belt about 6 inches from the top. Job done, cost = zero.

There are other cheap alternatives such as rose poles which are sold in garden centres in the UK. Consider a doubled up Hoover drive belt on each leg to stop them clattering together � but you only really need this if the legs are dead straight (as they are on the rose poles).

They are great for deliberate shooting, and make the average hunter capable of taking precision shots at much longer ranges than otherwise possible. I certainly consider the standing sticks preferable to standing sitting or kneeling offhand. I would not dream of going into the woods without a pair. If you need to take a quick shot offhand simply drop the stick and do it. They double as a great rest for binos when glassing. Also they aid your balance if trying to cross broken country while closing on an animal.

Regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my case I shoot better offhand than with sticks up to a 150 yds...beyond that I can find a natural rest such as a rock or tree..

I have seen more game lost while hunters fiddled around with a bunch of damn gadgets than any other way....It's plain disgusting.

Big oversized variable power scopes, huge bulky legs attached to the forends of their rifles, shooting sticks, and range finders are the most problem oriented objects...

A better solution to the above is to spend those thousands of dollars on ammo and practice, practice or simply learn to shoot.

Every time I watch one of those TV hunting shoes and everybody looks like a damn tree with all their camo and sitting in a deer stand on top of that, and their guns are SS and plastic in huge calibers with huge scopes and gobbled up forends and are running their heads 1000 miles per hour while a deer is 20 ft. from them, they have a literal bench rest and at the shot hair flies off the gut and they call it a good shot and walk out and claim their prize, give me a break..

A hunter with simple, clean, slim, and well balanced rifle with a 20mm objective lens scope of no more than 5x will kill while the others fiddle around getting things set up...

You sure hit a nerve this time old boy, but that is my unwavering opinnion, no compromise!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41955 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A better solution to the above is to spend those thousands of dollars on ammo and practice, practice or simply learn to shoot.

A hunter with simple, clean, slim, and well balanced rifle with a 20mm objective lens scope of no more than 5x will kill while the others fiddle around getting things set up...

I have to agree completely. Being able to take a quick but well aimed shot, with simple gear you can trust is 99% of the battle. Practice, practice.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thouroughly agree with Ray re benchrest hunters, large variables etc but these do not have to go hand in hand with a pair of shooting sticks. I myself use a simple 6x42 soldered to the rifle so I'll never be able to fiddle with it.

Imagine a scenario where 98% of shots are taken standing, where deer are never shot other than stationary and very near broadside or front on, where identification of sexes can take minutes not seconds, where the deer often have to be tracked in a scope before finaly turning broadside and being shot and where the deer can be small enough that you should be able to hit a CD at 100 yards having been in the aim for as long as a minute or so.

This scenario is a fair representation of UK woodland stalking and as a result not using sticks is a needless handicap.

I would estimate that it takes very, very little more time for me to take a shot with a stick than it would without. I'm assuming I'm carrying the rifle slung.

[

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 07-31-2001).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Horses for courses

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I have read about this for years. Why would anybody shoot sticks? Seem like poor sport and thin soup!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, with tongue planted firmly in cheek, asks why anyone would want to shoot sticks. Well, taking a leaf out of his book, I'd say I do it because I can.

Whether stalking deer or woodland rabbits I use a pair of 6 foot long hollow fibreglass tubes which started life as fishing rod blanks. Tied together near the top and wrapped in cammo tape, they serve me well.

------------------

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Although I like SS and plastic rifles, I'm with Ray for the most part.

I'll rest on a rock or tree, or my pack. Or I'll sit down, kneel, whatever works. If I was in a situation where sticks were normal, I'd probably use them.

Although I have two articles of clothing that are camo, I really don't like camo. I really don't understand the trend to put camo on everything. I think the last thing I want in camo is something I can lose, like a flashlight or knife.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Another choice for home made sticks is to use the fibre glass poles from a tent. You can determine how many sections it will take to make up the required length. Because they have an elastic cord to hold them in the extended position you can fold them and it only takes a quick flick of the wrist to extend them. This means they are easy to carry folded in a pocket where they do not cause any problem carrying.
For black powder cartridge rifle events we use heavy X sticks f approx. 1 1/4 inch with a leather strap across the tops. They make an excellent rest when shooting at the 500 meter rams.For open country mule deer or antelope hunting they are very good .

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote