Find
Notify
Tools

Watched Grizzly Man.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
Well I wasted some good money and rented it last night just to see what it was about, Well just to let you guys know this guy was a nut job if you didn't already know! Me and my wife we just sat here laughing at this moron. It did provide some good entertainment. Unfortunately they do not play the audio from the night him and his girlfriend were ate for dinner!

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THanks for the warning! They got what they deserved. Maybe instead of "Grizzly Man" it should be titled "From an untrained, uneducated, wanna be biologist to a bear turd"!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup,

from Bear Friend to Bear Shit... in one easy lesson....Of course too bad we don't have something like that become a Pet project for the average Tree Hugger or PETA member....

Liberals, tree huggers and especially PETA members make great fertilizer!

thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys have so got it wrong. Big Grin

On a tour of Alaksa, the Pope took a couple of days off for some sight seeing. He
was cruising along in the 'Popemobile' when there was a frantic commotion just at
the edge of the woods.
A helpless PETA member, wearing sandals, shorts, a "Save the Whales" T-shirt
and a Tree Hugger Hat, was struggling frantically, thrashing around trying to free
himself from the jaws of a 10 foot grizzly.

As the Pope watched horrified, a group of loggers came racing up. One quickly fired
a .338 magnum into the bear's chest. The other two reached up and pulled the bleeding
& semiconscious tree hugger from the bear. Then using long clubs, the three
loggers beat the bear to death and two of them threw it onto the bed of their truck
while the other tenderly placed the injured tree hugger in the back seat.

As they prepared to leave, the Pope summoned them to come over. "I give you
my blessing for your brave actions!" he told them. "I heard there was
a bitter hatred between loggers and environmental activists, but now I've seen with
my own eyes that is not true."

As the Pope drove off, one of the loggers asked his buddies "Who was that guy
?"

"It was the Pope," another replied, "he's in direct contact with
God and has access to all God's wisdom."

"Well," the logger said, "he may have access to all God's wisdom,
but he sure doesn't know anything about bear hunting..............is the bait holding
up okay or do we need to go back into town and grab another one....?"

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with you. This guy was nuts. What bothered me most is that he kept going on and on about how he was "protecting" the bears. The way I understand it the vast majority of the footage was shot in a federally protected area. I couldn't see how exposing bears to humans (namely him) was going to protect them at all. They are probably more likely to get shot if they lose their natural fear of humans and start bothering people. It's the "problem" bears that get killed in the end.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:I couldn't see how exposing bears to humans (namely him) was going to protect them at all.

I spent three miserable years working with idiots like this. They think their good intentions put them above the rest of us and exempt them from what we suffer through every day, like parking tickets. (Apparently we can now add brown bears to the list.) They're always surprised when life tells them otherwise.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
Well I wasted some good money and rented it last night just to see what it was about, Well just to let you guys know this guy was a nut job if you didn't already know! Me and my wife we just sat here laughing at this moron. It did provide some good entertainment. Unfortunately they do not play the audio from the night him and his girlfriend were ate for dinner!

John

I don't need to see BS to be able to smell it.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately they do not play the audio from the night him and his girlfriend were ate for dinner!

I bet it will pop on the web somewhere...

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I seen the loser on PBS and Dateline! Now I can take that move going money and see Bent Dick Poo Pusher homer

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunterbug:
You guys have so got it wrong. Big Grin

jumping

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The helo pilot said it best.. rotflmo

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of LongCarbine
posted Hide Post
Andy,
That's some good stuff there! I just saw that the Discovery Channel is showing "Grizzly Man" Friday night. I'm going to pick up a six-pack and tune in, should be good for some laughs. Actually, I imagine the real thing is funnier than the parody...

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable."

Posts: 125 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Andy
good stuff, sent it to a tree hugger, 7th grade
Bio teacher i know who workes with my wife. I'll
hear about it tonight. Big Grin
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
When you guys see the movie, you will probably be thinking what the F*&K was this guy smoking. Especially when he goes into a rant about how he beat the Government. That part I looked at my wife and said what the hell was that all about. If you watch it you will get some laughs out of it.

John

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
They do show the Bear after they shot it and they recovered 4 trash bags of human body parts out of it. To top it off when the pilot went to go get them he almost became brunch. He flew over the site afterwards and saw that the Bear went back to eating on a human rib cage. They found ol dumbass's head not to far from it if I remember right, and his right arm.

John

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
We were talking about this today.

This guy was stupid in a big way.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "grizzly man" was a real nut case. All the movie does is verify what we all already know. Save your money but if it's free....!

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
323:

The really unfortunate thing is that some more people think they will know how to deal with real grizzlies if they meet one.

Some years ago one of the young women in my office told us she was taking a trip to Glacier National Park. She showed me a brochure of how grizzlies could be photographed -right from the road side. I spoke with the "wisdom" of someone who had last seen a grizzly in Yellowstone (that tells you how old I am!)Smiler I warned her to stay very near the car and, DEFINITELY, not to get out of the car if she was the only car. I really tried to impress on her how dangerous the grizzly could be. She returned with photos of grizzlies taken at less than 50 feet away. She was a sassy young lady and enjoyed teasing me about the "dangerous" grizzly. I could only tell her that all wild animals who are in close contact with man (as in a Park) lose their fear of man. They are not any less dangerous. It simply is that they don't "spook" so quickly. ( Ever notice how these films never mention that young women hiking or camping in grizzly bear country during their periods are very liable to attack?)

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its going to be on Discovery tonight. I know the Helicopter Pilot, Sam Egli. He carries a 454 Casuell just about every were. He didn't like flying the remains out. That guy was a first class nut job.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I can sympathize with this guys anger toward civilization encroaching on wild beautiful places, I know that he started out borderline nuts and ended up in some mental prison somewhere. Crazier than a shit house rat!!!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just saw the movie this evening on the discovery channel. i believe treadwell had some deep psychological problems. his mood swings seemed classic bi-polar.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw the movie on Discovery last night and the guy is definitely a nut job. It appears he actually did more harm then good by exposing bears to humans and then getting the bear killed that ate him that he was supposely protecting.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LongCarbine
posted Hide Post
I was right, it was funnier than the parody! That guy was seriously Captain Insano, he should have been institutionalized long ago...People like him always end up doing more harm than good because they don't understand how nature works. He made it seem that those bears had human emotions and that's why they wouldn't hurt him. They're a wild animal, and basically they know eat, sleep, breed, survive. I particularly liked the part where he told us all to try and go there and live like he did, we would die. But he had it all figured out and he "loved the bears enough" to stay safe. Ahh, the price of arrogance (and insanity)...

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable."

Posts: 125 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have actually lived alone in extremely remote wilderness for months on end, in Grizzly country and tried to watch this programme last evening. I knew many American draftdodgers plus some Canadian hippies during those years as I was also a BCFS supervisor of silvicultural crews which consisted of such people.

In my experience, a substantial percentage of them were, as Treadwell obviously was, severely afflicted with mental illness aggravated by chronic substance abuse, notably Marijuana, LSD and other such dangerous drugs. The claims about being able to do bush things that we ordinary folks cannot were also typical, and utter bullshit as most of these guys would spend the greater part of their lives in the bar.

I am a lifelong, hardcore "treehugger" and can honestly say that guys like Treadwell have fuckall to do with wilderness preservation; here in B.C., they are in it for the grant monies. I feel sorry for someone like this as his was not a "nice" death. But, given the drivel about wildlife now taught in schools, I expect to see more such incidents.....

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst thing I found out is the park service went back in and killed the bear that ate tredwell. The bear was in his own territory. Tredwell should have come to Wyoming and walked up Horse creek into five pockets he wouldn't have lasted the first year.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the interviews after the main program to be more interesting and enlightening than the show itself.

Treadwell was obviously a mental train wreck waiting to happen. He was obviously a sociopath and was also obviosly mentaly ill as he had no grounding in reality whatsoever. The girl who was with him Amie had been going with Treadwell for 3 years and she hadn't figured it out by then she was in the same category.

Some comments from the post program interviews.

"Alaska is nothing more than a den of poaching from top to bottom."

"Because of Treadwell at least they are denying it (poaching) now."

"Hunting is nothing more than redirected primate aggression towards other animals."

My words here about the last quote. The geniuses in Berkley have now connected primates, cats, dogs, bears and other predators to a common emotion, redirected primate aggression. INTERESTING!

"Treadwell was protecting the bears, since his death there have been 6 bears killed in the park by poachers."

These are just the more notable ones.

And just wait because we WILL now have Treadwell wanna be's trying to copy his feats.

I'm thinking of opening a new bear chow company. Feeding high protein healthy snacks to brown bears.

"Treadwell's" the food of choice for humanized brown bears the world over!
thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
BEARCHOW!!!!!! Smiler Smiler Smiler GOOD ONE!!!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Comes on the discovery channel again tonight "Saturday" at 7:00 central and again at 10:00 central for those of you who want to see it but dont want to WASTE your money.

It was so stupid I watched it and another show at the same time. I couldnt stay interested in it over a few minutes at a time.
Guy was definately a nutcase.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should ditch "Smokey The Bear" and make Grumpy (Treadwell's killer) a national icon instead!!!
I think Timmy the red fox was smarter than Tim Treadwell!
My question is why didn't the govt. step in and arrest him for harrassing the bears or putting them in danger ( by habitalizing them to humans)?

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I rented and watched the movie.

At first, I laughed. I then saw that he was living in an alternate reality and laughed some more.... Then I realized that he had a death wish, was egocentric and paranoid and possibly suffered from some form of mental illness and I stopped laughing...I said to myself, wholly crap, this guy is crazy. On the other hand, he was passionate and said that he was prepared to die every day- he knew that he was cheating death every minute with the bears- especially toward the end of the movie...I found that the movie ws not one-sided, but did attempt to show Timothy for who he was.

Let's not laugh at his death just because he was a "treehugger"; I am sure that it was a horrible death for both of them. Unfortunately, for them, they cannot learn from their mistakes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some one screwed up bad. He should have been locked up in the funny farm a long time ago for his own good.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy definitely had mental problems and needed to make a statement to get attention and he did it in a weird way. He was a PETA person to the extreme. Sad that he got ate by a bear that he claimed to protect but he knew it would happen one day since he mentioned it so much. If you play with fire long enough you get burned sooner or later.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its hard to believe but there are alot of idots that think the bears are like the ones from the gay disney world.They watch animal planet too much and think the bears are big cuddley creatures of fairy tales.Its also alot of difference between park bears and bears that are hunted.the ones that are hunted are smart as heck.The park bears usually are not nearly agressive as bears outside the park.They are all not friendly cuddley teddy bears.I spent the last night of my 10 day trip from hell trying not to get eaten on my first Alaskan fly in trip.I had kept a fire going which had kept them away for 9 nights.They only came during the night ,I only saw bear sign during the day.I knew when my fire went out I would be in deep crap.It rained the last night I was there.The first bear stuck his head over top of me in the tent.I rolled out from under him and grabbed my 338.I fired in the ground while holding my flash light.I looked and it was a sow with two cubs just as big as her.I shot three times in the ground and they left for about 45 mintues.I yelled at the bears with little effect.I had 7 bears come that last night.I had to flag down a plane to come get me.He radioed the guy who had flown me in there.I knew if I lasted the last night I was there I probally would not last another.I now wont go alone on fly in trips and use a 416 rem mag as my tent gun.I encountered no friendly bears on my trip just ones that will eat you for a late supper.I was with two guys last year when a sow and two large cubs came towards me and the two guys I was hunting with.A friend of mine shot one of the cubs this year that had only one eye.It jumped them on their 4 wheelers on the trail.It took 6 shots from a 338 to kill it.You dont mess around with bears they will get you.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the way he protected the bear from the tourists throwing rocks?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Minkman, his crying worked didn't it?? Those tourists who were looking at those bears eventually left didn't they?? animal

MG

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
We watched it on Discovery.

Man was this guy messed up! He needed some therapy, a shrink, and probably less "alone time"! I don't even begin to understand how he thought he was "saving the bears", he showed nothing of him reporting even one poaching! His friends went out later and found a bear carcass and declare it as work of the poachers. How could they tell? Are they trained? It could have died from a friendly bear fight. Those cudly bears could have loved each other to death! Never mind him finding the remains of an unfortunate cub. Why didn't he talk to the bears about fighting amongst themselves? He was delusional at best! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But, the biggest problem with this kind of person is all of the tree hugging sh-- that he spread to the kids in schools during the years that he made it back. All the kids ever heard was all of the crap that he spread every year about how the bears were so cuddly, cute, and needed protection. How man, hunting, and everything else was so bad.
When he had the camcorder going while he walked through the field talking about how he never wanted to get hurt, killed etc. by a bear, how his love life sucked, a real disturbed mind/person. Just why didn't he just get the heck out of dodge and not come back? Like the guy at the airport said, he deserved just what he got.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
Its hard to believe but there are alot of idots that think the bears are like the ones from the gay disney world.They watch animal planet too much and think the bears are big cuddley creatures of fairy tales.Its also alot of difference between park bears and bears that are hunted.the ones that are hunted are smart as heck.The park bears usually are not nearly agressive as bears outside the park.They are all not friendly cuddley teddy bears.I spent the last night of my 10 day trip from hell trying not to get eaten on my first Alaskan fly in trip.I had kept a fire going which had kept them away for 9 nights.They only came during the night ,I only saw bear sign during the day.I knew when my fire went out I would be in deep crap.It rained the last night I was there.The first bear stuck his head over top of me in the tent.I rolled out from under him and grabbed my 338.I fired in the ground while holding my flash light.I looked and it was a sow with two cubs just as big as her.I shot three times in the ground and they left for about 45 mintues.I yelled at the bears with little effect.I had 7 bears come that last night.I had to flag down a plane to come get me.He radioed the guy who had flown me in there.I knew if I lasted the last night I was there I probally would not last another.I now wont go alone on fly in trips and use a 416 rem mag as my tent gun.I encountered no friendly bears on my trip just ones that will eat you for a late supper.I was with two guys last year when a sow and two large cubs came towards me and the two guys I was hunting with.A friend of mine shot one of the cubs this year that had only one eye.It jumped them on their 4 wheelers on the trail.It took 6 shots from a 338 to kill it.You dont mess around with bears they will get you.

Well I am glad you made it out of there but I would have dumped all 3 bears if I was in your shoes at the time. I figure if the bear has the balls to stick its head in the tent then it has no fear of man and probably is a man eater and I would not think twice about shooting it. As for the grizzly man he really did a good job of protecting the bears since they shot the bear that killed him. Yep he really protected that bear... What a dumb ass. Roll Eyes

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote