Find
Notify
Tools

Watched Grizzly Man.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
I didn't get to see the whole movie. However, I'm sure they didn't discuss or metion the validity of his "research". In books I have read about Treadwell the author points out that leading bear researchers considered his "work" to be of no scientific value. As far as his protecting the bears from poaching, in all of his years there how come he never showed a poacher or a poached bear carcass?

I think the biggest issue missing from the film is discussion of why he was able to get so close without harm for so long. Again from one book I read the explanation was that the bears were well fed from the salmon run which made them more tolerant of him and other bears. When they were killed the salmon were not running and the bears were fighting among themselves for the best fishing areas. This I belive was taken from Treadwell's notes in the days prior to his death. The author explanes that bears are pretty much consumed by one thing the search for food. Without the salmon and the bears fighting over the food that was available, it seems Tim forgot the #1 rule of being in the wild. Which is when your out in nautre/the wild, you ARE part of the food chain.

I think most people forget this because we are man conqueror of all.

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
It's the "problem" bears that get killed in the end.

And, in this case, at least, the problem humans who get killed in the end.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was really disappointed that they did not let the viewer hear the audio of this "freako" screaming, gurgling and begging his "bear friend" to spare him. I would pay big money to see him and his hottie (who wasn't supposed to be in the videos) getting their bear hugging asses chewed on.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whiteeyetattoo:
I was really disappointed that they did not let the viewer hear the audio of this "freako" screaming, gurgling and begging his "bear friend" to spare him. I would pay big money to see him and his hottie (who wasn't supposed to be in the videos) getting their bear hugging asses chewed on.

You're just as sick as he was. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
If, you ever had a friend or colleague mauled or killed by a Grizzly, I have, you might not be so fuckin' eager to listen to the sounds made by a human in that situation.....or, maybe you might, is your surname perhaps "Mengele"???

I agree with CanadianLefty, you are sick.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does a nothead, I mean nazi have to do with this? You missed the point, I would not want to watch or hear this, I was simply responding satirically to the mainstream no-nothings who think this movie "Grizzly Man" is some special work. Here is the point, your "Grizzly Man" "talks to bears", hence his gurgling and begging. He very well could have been trying to baby talk to this bear as it was attacking him. He "Grizzly Man" put himself and another human in the situation and was directly responsible for the death of another human. Someone is making "big money off of his ignorance". If you think that I may want to view this, you are wrong. I believe the entire movie is a joke and is more of a what-not-do-for-dummies video. Fact is money is being made from the death of this "Grizzly Man". Do you really think this movie would be marketable if your "Grizzly Man" were alive? Maybe, but not likely. I feel remorse for anyone attacked and/or killed by a grizzly or any other animal, and would take no pleasure in viewing or listening to the event. All without using your "f" word.

One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would pay big money to see him and his hottie (who wasn't supposed to be in the videos) getting their bear hugging asses chewed on.

Now your trying to save face. I haven't seen anyone in this thread who thinks this is a "special work". As a matter of fact I don't remember anyone praising it.

I agree with Lefty and kutenay thumb

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While we all agree that Timothy Treadwell was a phony, and darn lucky to make it though even one summer with these bears, I do think that the movie was a good piece of work. The director did a great job in my opinion, of showing a broken man who thinks he has found his calling with these bears, only to lose his grip on reality the more time he spends with them. I think society didn't accept him, he thought the bears would...they didn't either.

Both sides, the whack job supporters, and those who work and spend time in grizzly bear country, got to make their points.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now your trying to save face. I haven't seen anyone in this thread who thinks this is a "special work". As a matter of fact I don't remember anyone praising it.

I agree with Lefty and kutenay

Your right, I read through and didn't see any praises. Some think it is a special work though, I think a couple of doofs gave it a thumbs up. About saving face though, I really could care less.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen (and women):

I have not seen the film, but I have seen the previews so I can appreciate how well the makers of the following clip really captured Treadwell's baby talk to the bears.

Grizzly Man -- The real story
Smiler

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a great movie. He talked to the camera while he was alone and said some wild things. Treadwell was full of it, but did not realize it. Those kinds of folks are interesting. That helicopter pilot was gloating over Treadwell dying - creepy. I have hard time with people saying this fellah "deserved" to die. It was probable that someone acting the way he did for that long would be eaten, but to say he deserved it is way out of line. People don't deserve to die just because they don't like bear hunting or because they are loony. Wanting people to die because of their conservation ideas, wrong or otherwise is bizzare.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote