Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of Grandad
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of T man
posted
Some recent events got me thinking about my grandfather. Him taking me hunting when I was very little and my grandmother cooking what ever we brought home whether it was ducks, rabbits, or greens. I also blame him for my love of fine shotguns, I wish he would have encouraged a cheaper hobby.I hope he knows how much I appreciate it. Also, why is it nobody can cook like grandma, when it's a family of 9 they cook for 19. tu2

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
I dearly miss both of mine who passed in their 90's...

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Grandad got me started also. I miss him everyday, he was one helluva man.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T man,

My father died when I was 5 years old so my Grandad was my hero. We did everything from run Catfish lines to Coarsing wild bees to get the honey to trapping Muskrats and foxes. My Grandad
was one of the finest shots on a running deer and taught me everything he could about hunting.
My uncles would come to Grandad's for deer season and I thought I would never get to be 12 years old so I could go Deer hunting. My Grandad was of the old school and if he said something you could take it to the bank. I have worked to be like my Grandad and one of the best compliments I was ever given was from a neighbor that said your old Grandad will never die as long as you live, you are just like him.

Hawkeye

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buried my last one last June. He was exactly 3 weeks shy of making the century mark. He is the only person I know that was actually born in one of those sod huts you see in the history books. His family built a temporary one while they were building a new house on the family ranch. The man grew up working cattle on horseback in the sandhills of the Colorado and Nebraska praries.

We buried one of the last of the honest to goodnes American Cowboys. They don't make them like that any more. salute

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gland to see this thread,

I went last week to my grandfathers grave, a true hunter, he taught me more about life and hunting than anyone.

He grew up with General Chuck Yeager and they spent their youth hunting Lincoln County, WV.

I would love to have one more day afield with him.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hero died when I was 10 yrs old.
I told my little sister he was dead before
my mother picked up the phone and burst into tears when the news was told.
I don't visit many graves but I visit his...
He only had his right arm and we trapped beaver
together, with him compressing the springs of a 330 conibar and me setting the safety's.
He bought me my first rifle at the age of 6 and taught me to shoot it, I was the proud 6 yr old adding rabbit dinners to the menu.
He used to chew this old "green rope" tobacco
which looked like 2 twisted leaves wrapped together.We spent a week taking down an old bob-wire fence and after lunch each day
he would take a nap in the seat of the truck.
One day I snuck his plug out of his shirt pocket and had me a chunk of it, cuz I wanted to be just like him.
I've never been SO sick before or since, that moment in my life.
Maybe it was the magic of childhood but it seemed to be constant adventure around him.

Great thread!
Thanks for stirring those memories...

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful thread, just wish that I could cry and type at the same time, miss them both, my father and grandfather....Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
What great memories. Both of my grandfathers were born in the 1890's. One was Chief Deputy Sheriff of the county and a hell of a horseman. The other regarded game laws as sort of advisory and was a cowboy.
They both taught me a lot about hunting and life. Was lucky enough to share many adventures with both and miss them very much.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote