New
Find
Notify
Tools

AZ Big Game Draw Applications
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I spent my entire Sunday completing the AZ big game applications as well as checking on some references for some hunts I am considering.

Taulman's lawsuit created an incredibly onerous application process for all applicants. Hopefully the Reid ammmendment will allow us to go back to the old way. I would even be willing to pay more as a resident, reduce the nonres, but put a cap on them. That way, hunting would be more accessible to everyone.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I didn't even put in for elk this year there. But I still might come hunt with archery and get OTC tags for Mt. Lemon area.

I have a friend that lives there in Tucson and he knows unit 8 and 10 real well, but those tags are hard to come by. I'll apply again next year.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Until the AZGF dept decides to spend the money and seek an overturn of the courts mandate the Reid bill will do nothing.
As quiet as USO and conservation force has been of late, you just know that old Taulman isn't sitting on his thumb.
He and his lawyers most likely have a cauldron of s--t stew on the boil at this very moment. Don't assume that any of this is done and over with just yet.

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New Mexico has some interesting facts in the news column about their applications this year. Thet still have on-line, credit cards, and pay if you draw. The article indicated about 30 thousand more on-line apps for deer-elk-antelope-sheep. A pretty big incresae in people going from paper apps to on-line, but a lot of the increase was probably from NR's skipping Arizona in favor of New Mexico this year.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Was wondering if someone was going to bring this topic up again.

I think the only defference in the draw this year is that you have to acutally purchase (no refund if not drawn) your hunting licence. AZGF also suspended the internet draw application because of concerns that it was being misused. I have heard rumors that "greenies" were putting in from all over the country to save animals because if they didn't get drawn it only cost them $5 and if they were lucky enough to get a tag they just threw it away. You can still mail or drop off your application. I always put in with paper anyway so no big deal.

I would like to know if anyone has a clue as to the method that AZGF is using to actually draw this year (res vs. non res.) I also read that residents would be given an additional bonus point, if not drawn, with 20% of all tags allocatted to the bonus point program (do not know if this is the case now).

Good luck to all - I just hope you don't get my tag (20 year resident - drawn twice in last 12 years for elk).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the "greenie" thing of buying a tag to throw it away ia very effective long term. Suppose every other tag was thrown away. Well, the success rate would be lower, animal populations would grow, and the next year there would be even more permits issued.

Before it was easy for a group to apply on your behalf. Now it is much more difficult.

Mayhe if we threatened Taulman with a voter referendum to outlaw hunting with a guide he would back off. I spoke with a guide a few weeks ago who summed it all up: "Guides get into this business for the lifestyle. Unfortunately for Taulman, greed has taken over."

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am finished with applying in Arizona. Same goes for Nevada after this year. In the long run it's cheaper to buy a landowner tag then to get drawn. It's just a matter of time before Arizona starts issueing landowner tags. Why buy a license every year when you odds of getting drawn are slim and none. What a ripoff! I wish every non-resident would do the same. Then let's see the howling from the residents when license fees go through the roof.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Viking,
The bonus point pass percentage has increased from 10 to 20
percent, meaning that 20 percent of tags in each hunt will be set aside for all applicants with the highest
number of bonus points.
With no caps on anything(except 15% on Big Horn sheep) all applications are in the same pool. With this, non residents could conceivably garner 80% of all the tags this year and if things stay the same it could be this way for the next couple of years as non residents have the highest number of bonus points.
A single loyalty bonus point will be awarded to people who buy a license and
apply for big game hunts for five consecutive years. The point is genus specific and will be retained as
long as the hunter continues to apply each calendar year for that genus. The starting year for record
keeping purposes is 2001.

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In regards to Sen. Reids bill, this from the AZGF;
Tom Cadden AZG&F...

----------------------------------
Many members of the hunting community have been following U.S. Senate Bill 339, the federal legislation introduced by Senator Harry Reid and other sponsors regarding state regulation of hunting and fishing. That bill addresses the ten-percent nonresident hunting cap lawsuit issue and was included as part of a supplemental appropriations bill that was signed into law by President Bush this week.

What does passage of this legislation mean for Arizona?

The issue is under ongoing legal review by the Arizona Game and Fish Department's attorneys and will require direction from the Game and Fish Commission. New rules would need to be drafted and approved by the commission and the Governor's Regulatory Review Council before any cap could be reinstated.

The department and commission are also still under a federal court injunction in this matter and would need to take legal action to have that injunction lifted before the rulemaking process could be completed.

Therefore, there will be no cap in place this year for bull elk and for deer north of the Kaibab. The earliest a new rule could be in place would be for the fall 2006 drawing.

Tom Cadden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stupid question but did Arizona raise the fee's to the ceiling as they proposed ? When I heard that I figured no way. About 2K down the toilet for me buying the license for a point. Good luck to those that can afford it. At least I got my raffle stub in with ADBSS.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
I am finished with applying in Arizona. Same goes for Nevada after this year. In the long run it's cheaper to buy a landowner tag then to get drawn. It's just a matter of time before Arizona starts issueing landowner tags. Why buy a license every year when you odds of getting drawn are slim and none. What a ripoff! I wish every non-resident would do the same. Then let's see the howling from the residents when license fees go through the roof.

I know what you mean. Not just my group dropped out of the Arizona hunts, but there was another group of 5 guys we know that dropped out also. They are going else where, and I will do the same. I am sure it will be a trend to avoid Arizona and Nevada. I am going back to Alaska and to Florida for hunts instead. The only reason for me to go the Arizona is to visit my parents.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I knew this taulman deal was not good for hunting.

To get preference point now, you have to buy a hunting license. Great for wealthy folks, but not for most hunters, and in the long run, that is bad for hunting.

posted Hide Post
My understanding is that you always had to purchase a licence to get a point. Before you had the option to send in the money for the licence, but have it refunded if not drawn (no point issued). This year you will have to purchase the licence without the option of a refund to be eligible for the draw.

I always buy a licence for bird hunting anyways so I guess it doesn't hurt as much. The non residents will just have to come to Arizona and enjoy the dove and quail seasons to get thier monies worth.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viking:
My understanding is that you always had to purchase a licence to get a point. Before you had the option to send in the money for the licence, but have it refunded if not drawn (no point issued). This year you will have to purchase the licence without the option of a refund to be eligible for the draw.

I always buy a licence for bird hunting anyways so I guess it doesn't hurt as much. The non residents will just have to come to Arizona and enjoy the dove and quail seasons to get thier monies worth.

Viking, I was buying my licence to get my points, no refund. Points are needed to get drawn. The dove and quail seasons are not what most non-residents come to Arizona for, and the air fair and costs would be to much just to hunt some birds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I knew this taulman deal was not good for hunting.

To get preference point now, you have to buy a hunting license. Great for wealthy folks, but not for most hunters, and in the long run, that is bad for hunting.

AnotherAZWriter, I agree with you 100%.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Why not buy a Lifetime License like I did before I moved from AZ last September ?? Then you you'll only need your tag fee when you apply. I realize this is only good for residents, but if you're young enough, it's a good deal. It worked for me because now as a non-res, it will only be three years before I break even for the cost of the license.A Lifetime License also protects you from price increases in the future. Given time, I think things will work out. In my opinion, there's a simple cure to the Taulman situation. Simply change the application process and remove applying by proxy. Voila, old Georgie boy would be finished applying for non-res hunters, at least in AZ.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote