New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optimum 30-06 Bullet for Bighorn?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A very lucky friend of mine drew a bighorn sheep tag here in Utah. He will be hunting with a 30-06. What's the perfect bullet for this once-in-a-lifetime hunt?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the nosler 165 gr BT

Posts: 61 | Location: Missoula,Mt | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dobieman0690:
I would use the nosler 165 gr BT

I think I will have to second Dobie's suggestion...although I don't believe I would be afraid to even use a good 150gr partition. A little faster and flater but would still do the job in a good bullet.

As always, the main thing is just hit the animal where he lives and he will be coming home with you. This is the secret to a successful hunt...not having the theoretical "perfect combination of components."

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In reality most sheep are shot a short range after a successful stalk. I always demand a bullet that will shoot through the animal that I am hunting, from any angle in case that is the only shot opertunity I get..

I would choose the 180 gr. Nosler and take them as they come...the difference in trajectory betwee the 150,165 and 180 is measured in less than 3 or 4 inches at long ranges and practically none up to 300 yds. and one shouldn't shoot sheep further than than IMHO...I can wiggle plus or minus 3 or 4 inches under hunting conditions!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 180gr bullet and never look back. On average with the 165gr bullet,at 300 yards,you're talking an inch differance in drop at 300 yards,when compared with a 180gr bullet.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Does he shoot factory stuff, or handloads?

I agree with Atkinson, use a 180 gr. Out to 250 yards, it's trajectory is the same as a 150 gr. or 165 gr. Also, use a premium bullet, those Bighorn tags are pretty rare. A 180 gr. Nolser Partition or Partition Gold would be my first choices. You may also want to try the 165 gr. Barnes XLC. Now, if it will shoot in his rifle , it would be your best bet. Flat shooting, and deep penetration. Whatever he choses, don't skimp on the bullet.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good 165 or 180 gr bullet well do the job just fine. Find the one that shoots the best in your rifle load it and go kill your sheep. If it is a premium or just a plain jane rem horaday win speer or sierra. They well al work just fine.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to go with the 180's. That said, I wisht I had a dollar for every deer I've killed with a 165gr Hornady.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<razorback>
posted
I would shoot the swift scirroco's, they are bonded to hold together, but have a super high bc, and if you don't reload, remington offers factory ammo

<BigBob>
posted
DENTON,
The wild sheep of North America are not very large. On my hunts I found they didn't have the body mass to force good performance from a 180 grain bullet out of a .30-06. As I recall the writtings of Jack O'Connor he used a 130 grain bullet in his .270s on sheep. I was more than happy with a 150 and 165 grain bullets on sheep. The only reason I went to a 165 grain bullet in my .30-06 was because Grizzly Bears hunt the same country the sheep live in in Alaska. Good luck.

------------------
BigBob

<Peter Walker>
posted
Because of body size and location I like a bullet that expands rapidly. I've used 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips very successfully the past three years, they provide very large wound channels at close range and good penetration out past 200yds. Not having any scientific figures to throw on the table I'll just have to say that with sheep and goats the lighter constructed bullets anchor them quicker than sturdier, heavier bullets, given similar bullet placement.

...Peter

<Don Martin29>
posted
While I am not sure how far a 165 gr or even the 150 gr Partition would penetrate those would be my choice. The recoil is a little less and I would have been shooting the rifle all summer. Also the trajectory would be better.

After going thru all the trouble to get a Big Horn tag, climbing all over those rocks and finally getting a shot I would not pass up a long one. But I had already selected the 30/06 of my first choice for such a hunt. I don't know if I would carry my Ruger #1A or my M-70 Featherweight.

<T/Jazz>
posted
I have personally wittnessed a 400 plus yard shot on a 5x5 elk using a 180 Nosler partition bullet out of a 30-06, so maybe it was a little bit of luck hitting the animal, but the bullet had enough left to do the job. Use the 180 grain and Elmer will smile down upon you!

<woody>
posted
UTAH BIGHORN:

I WILL NOT PASS ON AN OPINION ON THE 30-06 BUT LET ME OFFER SOME EXPERIENCE.

I SHOT A STONE SHEEP AT APPROXIMATELY 425 YDS WITH A 130 GR NOSLER .270. THE BULLET EXITED THE ANIMAL.

I SHOT A DALL SHEEP AT APPROXIMATELY 100YDS WITH THE SAME BULLET AS USED ON THE STONE. I HAD THE SAME RESULTS.

I SHOT A DERSERT BIGHORN WITH A 120GR .257 AI AT APPROXIMATELY 90 YARDS. THE BULLET WAS A SPEER GRAND SLAM AND IT STAYED IN THE SHEEP.

THE ABOVE THREE ANIMALS WERE SHOT IN THE LUNGS WHILE THEY WERE STANDING BROADSIDE.

I SHOT A BIG HORN WITH A 150GR HORNADY IN THE .270 AT 178 YDS. THE SHEEP WAS LYING DOWN, QUARTERING AWAY FROM ME. THE BULLET STAYED IN THE SHEEP.

IN ALL CASES, THE SHEEP DID NOT MOVE MORE THAN 10 YDS. I BELIEVE ONE WOULD QUICKLY KILL A SHEEP WITH A .244 IF HIT IN THE LUNGS.

LARRY WOODCOCK
DILLON, MT