THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Has anyone had trouble getting the TSX to shoot?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone had trouble getting the TSX to shoot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've tried this bullet in a few rifles and in every one, they shoot as well or better than any other bullet tried in those particular rifles. This includes target type bullets. Anyone have trouble getting these things to shoot?

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried them but have been wondering how they shot. I couldn't get the old design to shoot worth a hoot in anything. Now I may give them a try if others report the same results.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
By now I hope everyone understands that the TSX and the original Barnes X are 2 totally different slugs.

And in case no one knew, it was Lazzeroni that prompted the people at Barnes to try the design.

Lazzeroni has his "Lazerhead" bullet. It is a duplicate of the TSX, but it is shaved down a thousandth or 2 and moly coated, and more expensive.

Lazzeroni Lazerhead bullets

The only time I had some trouble with the TSX bullet was in a factory 300 SAUM and the 168. The problem? Not hot enough. Pushing these slugs to max increased the accuracy substantially.

And the worst group was about 1 and 3/4" at 100.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I have switched most of my big game rifles to the TSX and have been very happy with the results. Before the TSX was available I was able to get a fairly accurate XBT load in my .270 but never could get my .338 RUM to shoot them less than 1.25", I now have loads for my RUM using 225 TSX at about .6 , .270 at about .4 and my 06' using 168 TSX is around .4.

I have only killed one elk with them however, but she went down immediately at 510 yards from my RUM. Other bullets may do the same or better (or worse) but for myself I wont use anything else.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two types of reloaders in the world; Those who have tried TSX and fallen in love with them, and those who have yet to try them!

Go get a box, solicit a recipe on the Reloading Forum, and you'll never look back!
- EB

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .300 win mag shoots them very well - I use the Federal factory loads.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, I could not get these to group from my son's .270. I tried increasing, and decreasing the powder charge to no avail. I spent a lot of time prior to removing all of the copper fouling, just don't have any answers. His rifle shoots Winchester, and Remington Factory ammo quite well. The rifle is a New England Handi Rifle with a 22" barrel, a Nikon Scope in Weaver Rings and base. I am a bit reluctant to try them in my .300 Win Mag, I use 200gr Partitions now, was thinking of trying the 180gr TSX, probably still will give them a shot, as they have a good BC.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Believe it or not, I could not get these to group from my son's .270. I tried increasing, and decreasing the powder charge to no avail. I spent a lot of time prior to removing all of the copper fouling, just don't have any answers

I am curious as to how many powders you tried and how far you seated them from the lands.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only tried 2 powders, H4831SC, and H4350. As far as seating goes, I started with them .001 off of the rifling, moved my way back to .003 off the lands. I would love to get them to shoot, as they should give the old 270 a new burst of life with the increased penetration and weight retention. Definitely not bagging on the bullets, and I am open to suggestion as far as powder and seating depth are concerned. I was using Winchester Large Rifle Primers.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only tried 2 powders, H4831SC, and H4350. As far as seating goes, I started with them .001 off of the rifling, moved my way back to .003 off the lands.

Barnes recommends seating the tsx bullets .050" from the lands to start with and if that does not work,try .030" to .070".There is an information pamphlet in every box of tsx bullets that states this.I have found that .050" has worked well in my rifles and in many other rifles.As well two powders is not really a fair accuracy evalutation.I would try the recommended seating depths and see what the results are.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKBman:
I started with them .001 off of the rifling, moved my way back to .003 off the lands. I

I agree with Stubblejumper, try what Barnes recommends: .050" jump.

I don't know if you got your decimals in a twist in the post above (.001" and .003")?? I have a feeling you'll have trouble getting a bullet seated consistently .001" off the lands. The ogive of most bullets will vary more than .001" - in particular X bullets of any kind. E.g. in .224 cal a Sierra 53 grs HP Match bullet typically varies some .002" measured over the ogive. If you try to seat as close as .001" to the lands, you'll most likely sometimes be touching the lands, and sometimes not. Then it is better to seat into the lands - or off the lands altogether.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
I have yet to do any extensive load development with the TSX. But my initial loading for my 7-STW with the 140 gr. TSX printed a better group than any load I tried with a 140 gr. Accu-Bond. Now, granted, I'm in the early stages of this. And a "two-bullet test" ain't much of a test. But, from the looks of things, again I get done fooling around with charge weight and seating depth, I may not try another bullet.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have 15 or so left, so I shall give them another go. Those are the 2 rifle powders I use the most besides H380, and on my budget, I doubt I'll be able to run out and grab a pound of anything else. I will seat them deeper and see how that goes.

posted Hide Post
I have a Sako75 in 280Remington.
The TSX does not shoot well in my rifle, 1.5" - 2" groups.
This is also the story with other "stiff" bullets I have tryed, e.g. Accubond.
The rifle shoots "soft" bullets well, e.g. Norma Orix 156grn. and BallisticTip 120grn., 1/2"-3/4" groups.
So I'm staying with the Orix for hunting.

Posts: 20 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote