New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm WSM load data needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does anyone reload for this caliber ? Iam at present using RL 19 and barnes 160 gr TSX,another other good combos out there as Iam not getting very good accuracy at the moment

Posts: 103 | Location: England | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a personal fan of Varget myself. I don't own a 7mm WSM, but I do own a .22-250, .223, .30-30, and a 300WSM that shoot awesome with it and I can find that powder everywhere (even some hardware stores). Check out the data on http://www.hodgdon.com

You can even email them and they might even give you actual data for the Barnes TSX

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try reloadernest.com

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you mean by "not very good accuracy", but I have never found any of the Barnes bullets to be record setting in that department.

You might want to try:
MagPro From 60.8 grains to 75.0 grains
Winchester LRM Primer

or go to http://stevespages.com/284_29_160.html

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
I don't know what you mean by "not very good accuracy", but I have never found any of the Barnes bullets to be record setting in that department.

You might want to try:
MagPro From 60.8 grains to 75.0 grains
Winchester LRM Primer

or go to http://stevespages.com/284_29_160.html

when I say accurate I mean around 1 inch which is not really good enough for a custom built nesika bay rifle with a kreiger barrel,I hope its not a problem with the barnes bullets as they state there one of the most accurate on the market,another problem were limited over here in th UK for what powders are stocked in our gun shops Ive never seem magpro yet on the shelf,I use your pages all the tim Steve I feel your like a father figure beerthats were i got the load iam trying at present

one of us
posted Hide Post
My model 70 featherweight will put 5 shots well under an inch with either the 140gn Nosler BT or Accubond .
I use Win. cases , WLRM primers , 66.5 gns of AR 2213 SC (sold as H 4831 SC in USA), O.A.L 2.965 .
Runs about 3130 FPS .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another great choice of powder that performs well in short magnums is H4350EXT. I use it in my 300SAUM and also in 7mm08. Varget works just a little tighter in the 7mm08 but I had to choose just one powder to stock at my bench it would be h4350EXT.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
foxshooter,

A Barnes product is the very last I would bother with in a Nesika Bay/Kreiger. Not sure what game your after with a 160 monolithic?

In any case there are loads at http://www.shortmags.org

I shoot the 140 Accubonds and Ballistic Tips from mine with 68 grs of RL 22.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
foxshooter,

A Barnes product is the very last I would bother with in a Nesika Bay/Kreiger. Not sure what game your after with a 160 monolithic?

In any case there are loads at http://www.shortmags.org

I shoot the 140 Accubonds and Ballistic Tips from mine with 68 grs of RL 22.

Iam off to Africa Nov 4th so I thought Barnes would be the right choice so far I havnt had a consistant group yet and loaded to the instructions 30 to 70 thou off the lands,I will test my last batch today if these done work time to find another make of bullet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a big trip. I would buy every 7mm bullet 150 grs and up over the counter and try them all tommorrow. My first choice would be the 160 Accubond. What game are you going to shoot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thats a big trip. I would buy every 7mm bullet 150 grs and up over the counter and try them all tommorrow. My first choice would be the 160 Accubond. What game are you going to shoot?

Ive just tested again today and hopefully getting somewhere a full 1 gr increase in powder has closed the group up,so try seating depths 5 thou either side now of that load and see what happens Iam also tryiing another 1/2 gr up at the same depths
as to buying all the 7mm bullets I wish it was that easy,Iam in the UK our shops stock bugger all and we have to wait to order anything speical in,as to game Iam taking the main beasts will be a Cheeta,Girafa,Kudo,Heartybeast,Orex,Elan,Blessbok,Steinbok,Zebra,carrical,Ostridge,plus other plainds game I cant remember 20 animals in all plus as many Baboons and Jackel we can hit,should be a fun trip,Just need to sort the rifle out

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a terrific assortment of game to shoot. Bring enough ammo! A friend just got back from SA where he got the Eland that was his primary focus.

Tell us some more about that special rifle and what scope you are using etc.

My friends light rifle was a 325 WSM. I shot that rifle just before he left and maybe it was a fluke but it grouped like a Nesika, well for two shots anyway.

Good luck and the best of fun.

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're going to shoot a cheetah ? Confused

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
You're going to shoot a cheetah ? Confused

yes Iam theres a lot in the area Iam hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thats a terrific assortment of game to shoot. Bring enough ammo! A friend just got back from SA where he got the Eland that was his primary focus.

Tell us some more about that special rifle and what scope you are using etc.

My friends light rifle was a 325 WSM. I shot that rifle just before he left and maybe it was a fluke but it grouped like a Nesika, well for two shots anyway.

Good luck and the best of fun.

The rifle was built by Nesika using a hunter T action and H&S box mag jewel trigger 23 inch kreiger No 3 barrel 1 in 9 1/2 twist,tally mounts and rings Ziess 3-15x42 scope and a robertson light hunter stock,its actually chambered 7mm/300 wsm using necked down 300 wsm Norma brass as then I can get the correct case to chamber length plus there is only winchester brasss available for the 7mm wsm,hence the reamer which was used.I have an identical rifle chambered in 243 AI with a 25 inch barrel and a nightforce scope
There is 6 off us going so there should be plenty of game between us,we have 5 days in namiba then travel north to bushman country near the angolo border for another 5 days

one of us
posted Hide Post
That twist may be on the border for such a long bullet. I would try the next shorter one. Also your cartridge has a little less capacity than a 7mm WSM if it's a true 7mm/300 WSM. As you know the 7mm WSM's shoulder is about .035" longer.

From my experiance with the 270 WSM I would avoid Magpro powder as I got a pressure spike in hot weather. The weather where you are now must be a lot cooler than in Africa.

Here is the Barnes 270 WSM data is similar to your 7mm/300. Note that slower powders are used than RL 19.

Have you chronographed your loads? Have you shot them at the longest range that you may hunt at?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice rifle & great trip. I have pretty much sworn off on Barnes 'x', just to finicky in the rifles I have tried. I get much better, consistant accuracy from the old reliable Nosler. In your 7WSM, I would try a bit slower powder under the 160grs if you can get it, I like IMR7828, H4831sc & RL22 in that order. H4831sc usually gives exc. accuracy in most magnum & overbore rounds, 7828 will get you max. vel. accuracy is also very good. I know you are wanting better than 1MOA, but for a hunting rifle, I'll take that any day. Good luck, great trip.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote