THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Recommendation: White Christmas + Hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation: White Christmas + Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
My family and I have never had a white Christmas with snow. I was talking with some other friends and neither have they.

So we discussed renting a nice house somewhere next year for Christmas where there is good snow, views, and we could deer hunt.

Now, finding a good place to rent isn't hard with VRBO..... but couple that with hunting, especially someplace you could step outside and be in the hunting area gets hard.

so it could be a nice house somewhere or a private hunting lodge that we reserve in whole. If there was skiing nearby that would be great.

Any recommendations? Mountains would be ideal.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am building a house in Crestone CO that will be an AirBnb. You won't be able to step out the door to hunt but the bigger issue is deer hunting at that time year. You can probably buy a landowner elk tag easier than getting a deer tag. PM me if you are interested and we can have a phone chat.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we had 14"s of snow on the opening weekend here back in October.

of course you couldn't get here since the roads were closed that night and the next day.

as far as a white Christmas no problem, but hunting is long since closed by now.
oh and you can't get here today either, it's still snowing, only from the north instead of the south like yesterday.
nobody in and nobody out... meaning my driveway.
nobody going up no canyon either, unless it's on a snow machine.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Northern Maine is a good possibility. You can VRBO a house or camp and hunt right outside your door. It will probably be muzzleloader season around Christmas. Success rates are low. BUT there are some BIG deer up there and you have the opportunity to fund a track and follow one as far as you dare. Most of the land is owned by logging companies and is open to hunt.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good possibility of snow in South Dakota but probably no deer unless you get an archery tag. Late season pheasant hunt can be fantastic where you see hundreds of birds in the fields.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The problem is going to be finding an assured white Christmas location with hunting. All of the west is going to be mostly over on the hunting end.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
looks like the best option would be private land elk tag in New Mexico. Goes to end of January.

probably best to ditch the hunting requirement.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a place in Michigan UP that offers high fence hog hunts.

They get lots of snow normally.

Having hunted in some snow most of every fall for 53 years.

I prefer not to.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
southern tier of NY has a holiday muzzleloader hunt now 26th to the 1st

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote