New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any ferral pigs is Montana?
 Login/Join

<X-Ring>
posted
Anybody know if there is any ferral pigs in Montana to hunt. I mean there are probly some canned hunts here, but I mean is there any that I guy can hunt on public land?
X-Ring AKA Scooter

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

posted Hide Post
I've never heard of any feral pigs being available for hunting in MT outside of game ranches.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
That is what I feared. Maybe someone will know of some.OWell.
X-Ring

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of anybody hunting pigs in Montana. Sorry.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<SkiBumplus3>
posted
X-Ring,

You must not have lived here very long! There are NO feral pigs in Montana unless California transplants count.

Ski+3

<X-Ring>
posted
I have lived here 13 years, & I'm from Idaho. I was talking to a guy who is a guide here in MT. several years ago. I think his name was Steve Musik. He was talking about hunting a Russian Bore in MT. I just don't know if it was a canned hunt or not. I suspected it was, but would hate to mis a chance to hunt something differant if it's out there close to home.
As for the Cal's Thats not much of a problem here in Ft. Benton. He just have a lot of old grey haired people who can't see over the steering wheel anymore clogging our streets
X-Ring

------------------

<Greg-montana>
posted
Scooter, the first or second year I hunted as a kid, I found an unusual skull in the woods where I was hunting. I was hunting near the Forest Service's Nine-Mile remount station near Missoula. As a kid, I was always looking for neat evidence of animals, mountain men, indians, trappers, tigers, Lewis and Clark, who knows what all. Anyway I found this skull. Well, it caught my attention as it had big curved tusks stickin out of it! Well, I had never seen or heard of such a thing before. It caused me no small amount of concern, as was already on edge about all the bear crap in the area that day. Kids have good imaginations. I could only imagine what kind of animal was sneaking around the woods with tusks like those. I had never heard of boars or ferral pigs at the time. I was afraid to report this to my dad and uncle who had me out that day, but I figured I could find the skull again if they didn't beleive me, so I brought it up. My uncle laughed. Turns out that in the late 50's or early 60's (This was the mid 70's) some farmer/rancher in the area had brought in some boars of some type. He was having a lot of problems with them, escape being one of them. I guess eventually he turned them loose, apparently loosing less that way than continuing to feed them and fix fence. Anyway, some of them were ferral pigs for a while, slowly dying out over a few years. Maybe some were killed by hunters, I don't know, and never heard of anyone shooting one. Anyway, the skull I found was from one of them. I sure felt better knowing that they believed me, and that their wasn't some nasty creature wandering around out there that dad hadn't warned me about. I sure paid better attention after that.

But now, those pigs are long gone and I have never heard of any others in Montana. Wouldn't it be fun if there were?

Greg

<bearmanmt>
posted
x-ring,
Have been hunting in the great outdoors of MT for 25 years. Never have seen a pig in the wild.... After the hunt tho in the local bars.......hmmmmmm nuff said.
The Bearman

<SkiBumplus3>
posted
Bearmanmt,

Those pigs aren't ferral, their definately native and local! We have the same problem here in the NW.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HA!!! Same problem in the SW...and everyone thinks we just have sheep Double HA!!!

------------------
God Bless and Shoot Straight

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
Now, Now fellers. How we all gonna get people to come visit us backered folk if'n their a feared of what they may find in the darker parts of our bars?

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
X-ring, there are no feral pigs in Montana on public land unless they escaped from the local pig farm. However the was a canned hunt operation in Miles City a couple years ago. I don't think he is still in business. The closest place I know of you can hunt wild pigs is in Alberta or Minnesota although neither is on public land. For a public land pig hunt you'll have to go to the west coast CA, WA, OR, all have wild pigs (two and four legged.)

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
X-Ring,

I'd try one of the Hutterite Colonies. Just drive up, start shooting pigs and when questioned tell them a Mr. Whipf told you it was OK.
Should work.

FN

(Big time "local" humor, Sorry to everybody else)

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
Now theres an idea Frank.
A guy could get in a turkey shoot while he was there to!
I just got ivited out to our local colony for P dogs this coming spring. I have been helping on of the guys sell gountlet motorcycle gloves he makes to all my biker friends. So he is going to let me junt this big P dog town that has had very little hunting pressure in the past. Should be a bang up time.

------------------

<leo>
posted
I'm thinking that for a hog to be able to survive a Montana winter, it had better being pretty much pure European/Russian boar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
X-Ring,

Do you know Lones Wigger ??

Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most forreal pig I met was in Red Lodge, MT at a bar.

Ted Sierocinski

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
Frank
I have met him once and felt he was a nice guy.
I have shot small bore indoor rifle against his brother Doug and all the other guys that age that Lones's father tought to shoot at the same time he was teaching Lones.
Beleive me Lnes isn't the only guy out in Carter that will scar the crap out of you when you step to the line. just watching these guys shoot is a exsperance.
We where shooting agaisnt them out at the club I shoot for in Shonkin. One night, and there was a fly that keep moving from target to target. All the sudden Mr. Romanger says: Judge can I shoot that fly so it will quit bothering us. We all panned our scopes to his target. The fly was walking agross his target and you here pow and all there was, was six little legs stuck around a hole up in the corner He dead centered a walking fly. They can shoot them Carter boys!
X-Ring AKA Scooter

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
X-Ring,

Lones is quite a character, HELL of a shooter. His son in law and I are big friends.

I seldon get up to that Ft Benton country. Gt Falls seems to be about as north as I care to go anymore.

FN

<X-Ring>
posted
Well Frank someday maybe we will have to meet face to face. I go throw Cascade all the time on the bike. During the ride season. A riding buddy of mine lives in Helena, and I just plane like the ride down river road from Ulm past Wolfcreek. What a great road for a bike ride (Motorcycle).
I haven't heard of Lones for a long time. Is he still coaching the Olimpic shooting team? I see his nephew every Friday when we have pizza Friday at work. Mike Wigger owns the local Pizza shop. Lones's brother Doug (Mikes dad) works there part time. Nice guy just like he's brother and dad. Heck I don't think I have met a Wigger I didn't like. They sure are nice folks.
I know at rifle club they where always willing to give you pointers and help a guy be a better shooter. Nice family!
X-Ring AKA Scooter

------------------