New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reindeer Hunting in Sweden?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just wondering if there is reindeer hunting available in Sweden?

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
I was just wondering if there is reindeer hunting available in Sweden?

Mike

Dear Mike,

all reindeers in Sweden are domesticized by the Lapps, and are not hunted. However, there are some habitats of wild reindeer in Norway, where hunting is allowed.

I have not hunted reindeer myself, but my impression is that it is mostly like hunting deer in the Scottish Highlands.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Well, sometimes foreign hunters shoot them instead of moose. Not a very good idea.

I don't know if it's a myth, but there's supposed to be a reindeer shot in Sweden that entered one of these trophy books. If it's true it's hilarious. Maybe someone could check it up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike.
Reindeer are lagal big game in the southern highlands of Norway.
The hunt is under administration by the authorities, and is a sort of a draw if you are non resident ( not living in the actual county ). Try www.viking-safari.no
They might be able to clear things up a little.

Regards Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reindeer hunting in Sweden is done by lorry-drivers and the trains As said above, Norway is the place to go but wouldn't caribou in Canada be a better choice for you?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<LiMe>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wachtel:
The only reindeer hunting in Sweden is done by lorry-drivers and the trains As said above, Norway is the place to go but wouldn't caribou in Canada be a better choice for you?

hmmmmm... accually there is alot of ilegal hunting up in the the northen parts of sweden. atleast my friends who lives there say so. but as much as I know, there is not possible to hunt raindeers legal in sweden.

peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered caribou in Northern Canada instead?

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted caribou in Canada and was looking for a new hunt, there are so many posters from Sweden that I thought it would be a good destination.

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear that you hunt them at night. You look for the one that has the glowing red nose...
Sorry, I just couldn't help it. It is one of those days.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Wachtel

I made a drive over by accident on a reindeer once when I was on the way to hunt moose.
No damage were made to the car since the winch on my Defender took the hit.

I think it's a shame that we don't have any hunting in Sweden. The best places to go Is Norway or Greenland.

/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CGB:
I hear that you hunt them at night. You look for the one that has the glowing red nose...
Sorry, I just couldn't help it. It is one of those days.
C.G.B.

No fair shootin' drunks, eh?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote