THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    1 Rifle or Shotgun your Pick, For the world.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 Rifle or Shotgun your Pick, For the world.
 Login/Join

<Cobalt>
posted
I would not choose a sporting weapon, but instead, although not on the list, my FAL w/4x mounted on spare top cover. Who knows how much game is poached, including the dangerous variety, each year in Africa with the ubiquitous FAL. Cobalt

<Pumba>
posted
Mikfla,

Thanks for posting such an interesting topic.

Here are my choices:

- I am assuming one pistol in addition to the one long gun chambered for the calibers that you have listed in your post.

PISTOL

- Ruger Mark II semi-automatic, 22 long rifle pistol, with a integral suppressor and tritium night sights from Sound Technologies.
- I would have two additional magazines for the pistol.
- The pistol would have Pachmayr grips, and I would spray paint it flat black.

Pistol Ammunition:
- I would use RWS sub-sonic solids and hollow-point softs - these work well for birds, small mammals, and for social work when you don't want your presence known.

LONG GUN

- A Benelli M-1 Practical 12 gauge, 3" chamber shotgun that comes equipped with a 26 inch compensated barrel, a nine shot magazine tube, tritium powdered ghost ring night sights and a Pictanny scope rail.
- I would reverse the M-1's safety for left-hand use.
- I would change the Benelli's recoil pad to a black Pachmayr Decelerator Sporting Clays pad.
- I would purchase four additional speed loaders to augment the one that comes with the shotgun. Each speed loader would be filled with a specific type of shotshell.
- I would purchase a rifled choke tube to augment its three existing tubes (IC, M, F).
- I would purchase a Leupold 1.75 x 6 - 32mm matte duplex reticle Vari-X III scope and mount it in quick detachable, 1 inch, low scope rings.

Shotgun Ammunition:
- For the Benelli I would carry a variety of ammunition.
- Winchester XX 3 inch BB, and #4 shotshells - These would be used for birds mammals up to the size of Canada geese.
- Winchester XX 3 inch 000 buckshot - These are great for social work or leopard followup, or up to deer size mammals under 40 yards.
- Winchester XX 2 3/4 inch #7 1/2 shotshells - These are great for smaller birds and mammals.
- Remington 3 inch Copper slugs - These would work on Hippo and cape buffalo for lung shots under 40 yards, for lions and bears under 40 yards, and other larger mammals under 100 yards.

I would avoid elephants and Rhinos.

Good Hunting !

[This message has been edited by Pumba (edited 07-31-2001).]

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey,
This topic would be best served,if there was an embargo on.It should automatically go in the circular file.It has been asked so many times,on all the forums,and the same answers always pop up.It's a hypertheticle cluster ----,but I still believe in the first amend't
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
The 6.5x 55 aint on the list, I guess that was a typo?
Or the 50bmg? Ok you cant shoot birds with it but an elephant will feed you for a long time

The answer must be the 12g. From BB to SG and solids it'll cover just about everything...
Oh yeah, Make mine a pump action.

Happy hunting, Happy days!

<Ronnberg>
posted
Easy - I already had to make the choice once - only one rifle for two years - so the .375 H&H, 3-9 Zeiss detachable. The one I have is a custom Mauser - but I would swop it for a Sako TRG-S next time (maybe also a Zeiss 1.5-6 instead). The Barnes-x 270grains will do small holes in little critters and big holes in bigger ones - and shoots nice and flat to 300meters. Cast loads at 1700f/s will do good at small game close by. And maybe throw in some heavy solids for the occasional dinosaurs. Maybe have a couple of 10 shot detachable mags built - just in case theres plenty of agressive animals simultaneously.
Rgds.,
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be more concerned with two legged predators and getting food than dangerous game.

I seem to have the guns I would choose: an old Win94 in .30-30 with Marbles patridge front and Lyman peep rear and a S & W M 18 in .22 lr. O.K perhaps the Ruger SS stainless, 5 1/2" would be even better ...

I would like to have at least 1500 rds of .22 ammo, most of it in HV HP ( 3 bricks ).

This outfit should handle everything up to elk at close distance.

Have fun! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote