New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big bear coming into bait
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a big bear coming into a bait. 6 inch wide front pad 9 inch long rear pad. should be 400lbs plus.

Still 2 weeks before season In Wis. bait hunters go first then hounds can go. I would really like to run him with the hounds but I don't think I should pass him up if I get a chance at him on the bait.

I plan to use my 416 taylor on him if given the chance. I 350 gr speer mag tip at 2450 should do the job.

Looking forward to the hunt.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Your weight estimate may be light unless he is a large framed thin bear, kinda "rangey".
Sounds like a good bear, if given the opportubnity you should take him, large bears have been known to disappear when you least expect them to.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
P dog, Let's see some pictures of the wound channel and the happy hunter. Blast before it's past... Changing seasons and weather can move your hard work into the crapper, so act if asked. Good luck.

beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
The biggest bear I have personally seen was 465lbs and its front pad was just under 5 inches wide, I don't rember measuring the rear pad. You probably have a real pig on your bait.
Shoot him when you can.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PD:

I have hunted all over, but my memories of baiting bears in northern MN are some of my best memories. I loved doing that - kinda like running a trapline.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea he is a pig. If he doesn't come out during the day light. After the frist week I'll stick a pack of hounds onto him.

A bear big like that hardly ever trees one has to get into him and shoot him on the ground as he is fighting the dogs.

It well be fun as AnotherAZWriter says it is like running atrap line just fun to see what as come in. looks like I have the big boy coming and another one about 200lbs hiting.

Iam using sunflower seeds corn some marshmellows and peanut butter. the lick every seed and kernel up.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote