THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Honesty will get you no where! Or expelled
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honesty will get you no where! Or expelled
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neazor91:
Howard read my post again. There should be a distinction between the girl,s case and someone carrying a gun is school. No, she shouldn,t get a years suspension. Apparently, the supt. agrees.

Mike

I think I got the point of your post. You said that a firearm in a trunk is a safety issue but should not result in a years suspension.

On your first point I disagree on your second I agree. The issue isn't unsafe firearms the issue is people who don't behave properly in society; so the powers that be somehow feel the solution is to limit the freedoms of those who do.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Howard it is always interesting to see what other people see as "normal". I have alot of American friends and 99% are hunters and almost all of them feel like you. But on the other side its always sad to read the newspaper and read about the 5 year old girl that shot her brother in the head with a gun that was laying in a car loaded, or playing with rifle that was left on the table ? Or read about the bank robber who was high on drugs and took a car with a rifle in the back and decided to rob Macdonalds but it ended that he shot the waiter instead. Sure you can blame it on that father, robber, common sense etc. But isnt it easier to just lock that gun in the safe and leave it there until its time to hunt/practice ?, away from childrens and people that not are capable to use a firearm.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Howard it is always interesting to see what other people see as "normal". I have alot of American friends and 99% are hunters and almost all of them feel like you. But on the other side its always sad to read the newspaper and read about the 5 year old girl that shot her brother in the head with a gun that was laying in car loaded ? Sure you can blame it on that father, common sense etc. But isnt it easier to just lock that gun in the safe..

Well one problem is that in your scenario those who are determining what is "normal" are removed from the specific incident (gun in car on school parking lot) and typically also, the overall activity (gun ownership). In this case you have non gun owners and non hunters, far removed from the subject, determining what should be normal.

Yes it is sad but when that same brother somehow puts the car in drive and backs over his sister in the driveway you don't hear those people calling for a ban on vehicles. See in this case everyone is aware and involved in the use of automobiles so they get that it's not the automobiles fault.

It is very easy to call for a limit or ban on activities that you don't participate in.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
...The federal Guns-Free Schools Act sets a one-year expulsion in such cases, but allows trustees to modify the term of the expulsion on a case-by-case basis...

I guess that exception only exists for stolen pearl handled 32's found in a gang banger's waistband. Wouldn't want to ruin the young man's chances to get ahead... sofa

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
quote:
Maybe its just because im European, but why in the hell should anyone take a knife or a gun etc to a School in the first place ? Or just leaving a rifle in the car ? How many car burglarys each year in the states ? If you can forget that you have a rifle in the car maybe you can forget that you have not locked the door to your car ? How many accidental shootings each year ?

Ummmmm first because we want to. Its called FREEDOM! No other reason is needed.

I carry a pocketknife everywhere, have since childhood.

Secondly for convenience, to hunt on the way to and from school.

Why should the law abiding citizen be restricted? Why not simply dispose of the burglar?

It's a very slippery slope to determine what should or shouldn't be allowed based upon others determinations of just what "need" is.

+1 tu2

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
quote:
quote:
Maybe its just because im European, but why in the hell should anyone take a knife or a gun etc to a School in the first place ? Or just leaving a rifle in the car ? How many car burglarys each year in the states ? If you can forget that you have a rifle in the car maybe you can forget that you have not locked the door to your car ? How many accidental shootings each year ?

Why should the law abiding citizen be restricted? Why not simply dispose of the burglar?

It's a very slippery slope to determine what should or shouldn't be allowed based upon others determinations of just what "need" is.

+1 tu2

+1

Just thank God we are in America. Look at the twisted, indoctrinated mindset of A.D.'s post.

Unfortunately, America is sliding rapidly to approximate A.D.'s country's values...

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wasbeeman:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Howard:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

+1

Just thank God we are in America.

Yes sometimes I must say Thank god you are in America Smiler

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A. Dahlgren,

Don't worry at the pace we are going the US will arrive at the state of European regulation on guns and personal freedoms way ahead of the time it took Europe to get there. The mindset of our previous frontier opening generations is disappearing at an alarming rate. The urge to tell other people what to do to extremes from those who collect a tax sponsored salary is probably universal......we just used to be better at not letting them get their way.

On the practical side if you live 20 or 30 minutes drive from school in the opposite direction of where you want to hunt - you may not get to hunt if you don't store the gun in the car.

Where I work it is cause for dismissal to have a gun or ammunition in the car. It keeps me from being able to hunt, shoot trap, etc. after work quite often.....not a choice I like making but one that isn't unusual today and seems to be growing more common.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well said Howard!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KALISPELL — The superintendent of a northwestern Montana school says he doesn't think the school board will expel a junior who inadvertently brought an unloaded rifle to school in the trunk of her car.

Superintendent Michael Nicosia says he believes the 16-year-old honor student and varsity cheerleader will be back in classes at Columbia Falls High School before Christmas break.

The board is scheduled to meet Monday to discuss the case. Nicosia tells the Daily Inter Lake he's not going to recommend that she be expelled, which would mean she would have to be out of school for more than 21 days. He says suspensions can last up to 20 days.

The girl was suspended Dec. 1 after contraband-sniffing dogs were brought to school and she told administrators she had forgotten the rifle she put in her trunk after a hunting trip.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
It's amazing how the world has changed for the worst these days.

The Government is intruding on all of our lives, making honest people the criminals!

I believe "Pitiful and Pathetic" would be the best way to describe it!

When I was in 3rd grade (1971), my Great Aunt gave me her deceased husband's Model 94 Winchester 30-30. I was ecstatic! I actually took it to school for "show and tell"! It was not even an issue!

RC,
Sounds like we are about the same vintage. I did the same as well.

When in High School...I carried a rifle with me EVERY day of school as I fed cattle on range land afterwards. Everyone knew and no one cared. Others did the same. Often times we carried our .22's to the school ag farm to shoot rats out of the hay barn during school time!

Times have definitely changed...and not all for the better. As my Dad says...I like the fact that the house is always warm and we don't have to walk to the out-house in the middle of the night but other than that...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
When I was actively a judge, a school official brought to me an application for a felony arrest warrant against a senior boy who had been found with a single shot shotgun behind the front seat of his pickup located in the parking lot.

The day before (Sunday afternoon) the kid and his father had been to their hunting club on "work day" and had carried brush clearing tools to clean up around the camp. A bush hook was left in the bed of the pickup and the dad left his "snake gun" in his son's vehicle. When the bush hook was discovered (as a weapon?) the cab was searched and some #8's and the shotgun were discovered.

I suggested to the woman from the school she could piss up a rope (with a bit more tact perhaps) and told her she should congratulate the son and father for spending time together. I then went to the school board attorney and he promised to review every warrant request before it came to me.

I probably didn't follow the law but I didn't ruin a young man's life, either. BTW, he's a college grad now (4 years on the school baseball team with a partial scholorship) and a pretty good local police officer (like his mother was).

Ernest...good on yo... beer

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that exception only exists for stolen pearl handled 32's found in a gang banger's waistband. Wouldn't want to ruin the young man's chances to get ahead...

If a gangbanger had carried a .32 into my High School when I was a kid...we would have laughed at him.

Some old farm kid might have taken it away from him and given him a good @$$-whippin.

Then most importantly...if he had tried to use it...some old farm kid would have put a 12 g load of 00 through him...matter closed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
PS: at that time he would have been a town hero...not expelled!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

A Dahlgren,

I don't have a car that does not have a dedicated revolver that lives in the car at all times.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:.

Sometimes I used to forget it, and my greandfather used to drive to school bringing it for me.

Isn't that what grandfathers are for?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Boy have things changed since I was a teenager. I lived in the country and attended a country school and no one could have cared less if a gun was in someones truck (or car). I do understand we live in different times, but I don't think punishing this girl will prevent school violence. Someone intent on doing harm will find a way. I still believe the old saying "Guns don't kill people; people kill people."

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boy have things changed since I was a teenager. I lived in the country and attended a country school

And I would bet a steak dinner you got a better education! My dad did the same, 26 kids in the same room. And he would help with my home work that I had trouble mastering.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
As an update, the girl was not expelled but was still subject to the suspension.

On the bright side, they are allowing her to make-up any school work she missed so her grades will not be adversely affected. This deviates from the usual suspension policy is which the student receives no credit for time missed.

Don't agree with the suspension part but I guess it's a hell of a lot better than her being expelled and thankfully her overall academic record won't be affected.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure every kid in that high school got a good lesson in modern day "truth and rightousness".

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
relax everyone the man in charge will do the right thing. i went to collage with mr nicosia and taught him how to shoot. he will do what is right and fair . sometimes people over react . let the ones in charge have a chance to get all the facts than make a good judgement

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats all well and good but IMO it shouldn't have been an "incident" to begin with. To be rather pragmatic, how many bucks have been spent on this "incident"?
Whoever turned it into an "incident" should have their asses out on the street.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted 10 December 2010 23:22 Hide Post
Somebody recall the details please, but do you guys remember when employees in Oklahoma City or Tulsa were fired because they had firearms stored away in their automobiles in the company parking lot.

They filed suit on Second Ammendment infringement and perhaps others ammendments and WON.

Not Living in Oklahoma these days but; Not sure if they won. Werehouser was the culprit. Long story, basically they posted a new policy about firearms on company property. Day before deer season they did a search for drugs. Even fire one of the supervisors because re refused to participate. Lost first battle in court. Not sure of outcome. Oklahoma passed a law allowing firearms on any public parking lot (not fenced, not secured, its public). one of the Oil companies got involved with an injunction stopping the law from going into affect. Last I heard, its in place.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote