THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Honesty will get you no where! Or expelled
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honesty will get you no where! Or expelled
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have faith that a Monatana school will rule favorably for the young girl.

Columbia Falls girl faces expulsion, forgot hunting rifle in trunk

.KALISPELL — A 16-year-old Columbia Falls High School student faces expulsion after inadvertently bringing an unloaded hunting rifle to school.

Shortly after school officials announced on Dec. 1 that contraband-sniffing dogs were at school, she remembered the rifle in her car trunk and told the school secretary. The secretary said she would get the message to the principal.

Not long after, assistant principal Scott Gaiser told her she was suspended and faced at least a 21-day expulsion. A hearing is set for Monday night.

The federal Guns-Free Schools Act sets a one-year expulsion in such cases, but allows trustees to modify the term of the expulsion on a case-by-case basis.

Superintendent Michael Nicosia says the administration won't recommend a yearlong suspension.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In high school one of my buddies, James, and I were going to go and do some shooting after school. He lived a long way off from the small Texas town we lived in and didn't want to have to go home and get his .22 after school... so he brought it and had it behind the seat in his truck in a locked case.
That day they happened to be running the drug dogs thorough the parking lot. He got called down to the principal's office and when the asked if he had something in his truck he told them about the .22 and our plans to go shoot.

I will make a long story short.. He got expelled for good. My mom was on the school board at the time and even lobbied for him not to be expelled. But they said 0 tolerance is 0 tolerance.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
When I was actively a judge, a school official brought to me an application for a felony arrest warrant against a senior boy who had been found with a single shot shotgun behind the front seat of his pickup located in the parking lot.

The day before (Sunday afternoon) the kid and his father had been to their hunting club on "work day" and had carried brush clearing tools to clean up around the camp. A bush hook was left in the bed of the pickup and the dad left his "snake gun" in his son's vehicle. When the bush hook was discovered (as a weapon?) the cab was searched and some #8's and the shotgun were discovered.

I suggested to the woman from the school she could piss up a rope (with a bit more tact perhaps) and told her she should congratulate the son and father for spending time together. I then went to the school board attorney and he promised to review every warrant request before it came to me.

I probably didn't follow the law but I didn't ruin a young man's life, either. BTW, he's a college grad now (4 years on the school baseball team with a partial scholorship) and a pretty good local police officer (like his mother was).

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i had my rifle at school several times, hidden under my camping gear on a friday in preparation of elk hunting on saturday... never got caught...

i also wore a gerber multi-tool on my belt along with a little buck folder (also on belt) and never heard a word. graduated in '96

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Common sense isn't as common as it used to be......

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how the world has changed for the worst these days.

The Government is intruding on all of our lives, making honest people the criminals!

I believe "Pitiful and Pathetic" would be the best way to describe it!

When I was in 3rd grade (1971), my Great Aunt gave me her deceased husband's Model 94 Winchester 30-30. I was ecstatic! I actually took it to school for "show and tell"! It was not even an issue!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, you could bring your rifle/shotgun to school --on the school bus-- and you turned it into the office and they held it until school was out.

What happens to the poor rancher or farmer that swings by school to pick up his kid and has his coyote rifle hanging in the back window of his truck?

This is the sort of thing that happens when you let the big city cliff dwellers make the rules and you have pissants that are afraid of their own shadow enforcing them.

got to stop typing, my blood is boiling. I think the parents should sue the school board for congenital stupidity. If the big city easy riders can sue (and collect) because the school sez their kid can't wear earrings or wear their gang colours to school, then this suit ought to be a slam dunk!

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reason #987 to home school.

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
When I was a kid, you could bring your rifle/shotgun to school --on the school bus-- and you turned it into the office and they held it until school was out. ...
Same here. Some of the teachers would even go Hunting with us after school. The worthless democrats sure have messed things up.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Assistant principal Scott Gaiser needs to be expelled.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in high School I used to take my shotgun(in a case)into school.My Biology Teacher like to hunt Pheasant and Rabbit and would take a couple of us along.No one even looked at us twice with the guns.Pretty sad the way things are now.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought my rifle or shot gun to school many times once in a while on the bus. Stored them in my locker when I drove just left them in the trk.early 70's

The libs and antis have sure messed things up.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't even know where to start.

I graduated in 1986, we used to have our shotguns in the trunk to go pheasant and duck hunting after school.

Would leave our rifles in the truck when we went deer hunting before school.

Here's the kicker. We had a high school shooting sprots program, headed up by our Biology teacher, the president of the club is now a South Dakota DCI agent, and I was vice president.

We had a high school trap team, learned to reload, cast bullets, shoot pistols, rifles and bows.

Oh yeah, our headquarters... in the basement of school administration building. We had M1 Garands, Smith & Wesson pistols, and Browning trap guns in the vault.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to do the same, I took several guns to school, to shop, to refinish stocks, repair stocks, and even blued one once. In the fall, I always had a shotgun, as did many kids, in the back window of my pickup.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sometimes think that every kid should have a firearm in their vehicle. It would make for a polite school system IMO. Kids wouldn't be so quick to be cruel and my guess is the bullying issue would resolve itself.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schools and .Gov have no common sense anymore.
Sad indeed,I hope that she gets back in.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What I find extremely sad, is that no one seems to want to change all this nonsense.

I used to take my 410 shotgun to school, and leave it behind the classroom door until we finished.

I went bird shooting on the way back home.

Sometimes I used to forget it, and my greandfather used to drive to school bringing it for me.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67470 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
What I find extremely sad, is that no one seems to want to change all this nonsense.

I used to take my 410 shotgun to school, and leave it behind the classroom door until we finished.

I went bird shooting on the way back home.

Sometimes I used to forget it, and my greandfather used to drive to school bringing it for me.

Saeed....don't ALL the kids over there carry AK-47s to school now?

Just kidding. Big Grin rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
You would think a little more discretion would be used.

There's a difference between a country girl who willing admitted she forgot to take her shotgun out of the car versus, say, an inner city thug who has his 9mm tucked under his coat during math.

A few rotten apples can ruin it for everyone.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Common sense isn't as common as it used to be......

+1

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1378 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are ruled by hysterics today; people who go crazy when common sense should prevail.
As a kid in the late 1940's at early 1950's, we hunters all had shotguns at school so we could go hunting after school. Not a single soul complained back then. Today, we'd all be expelled.
Our Liberal's have destroyed common sense, and replaced it with hysteria.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Is there an email available for the school administrators? I'd like to send them a note.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Contact info for the school district:

http://www.sd6.k12.mt.us/mail/contactUs.html

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 79 years old and when I was young, we would go to church on Nov. 1st (all saints day), and would have off school, so we would carry our shotguns and stack them in the vestibule of the church. When mass was over we would go hunting for small game. It seems to me that the tree huggers should get off their ARSE and go back to school for Manners and some Common Sense. Some people are so STUPID.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any of my buddies that didn't have something either in the cab or back of our trucks that they wouldn't consider a dangerous weapon in today's world. We all worked/lived on farms and were necessary equipment, guns included!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
What I find extremely sad, is that no one seems to want to change all this nonsense

The only thing people want to do anymore is shed responsibility. What do you think has brought about all these zero tolerance policy's and mandatory sentencing fiascoes?

Judges and others in responsibility abuse their positions and the public trust and the public rather then holding the individual accountable takes the easy way out and demands that their lawmakers pass these foolish laws of zero tolerance and mandatory sentences.

This is why you have the foolishness here and why you have 18 years old boys being sentenced to prison for statutory rape because they had consensual sex with their 17 years and 11 months old girlfriend.

We don't need stiffer laws or more rigid rules and regulations we need to take responsibility for our elected and appointed officials and insist upon accountability from them.

Some wacko judge passes down an overly lenient sentence we don't need to respond with mandatory sentences we need to remove the judge as unfit to be a judge.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a former high school teacher, I can assure you this has nothing to do with liberals or antis. It is simply a safety issue. Times have changed and so have kids. The potential for something bad to happen is greater than it used to be. Like it or not, this isn't the 40's, 50's, or even the 70's when I started teaching. Hell, I even taught a 2 week mini class on hunting, gun safety and care back then. I always had guns in this class.
With this being said, I do feel each case should be handled on its own merit. I agree with sevens. There should be a distinction between a girl who forgets the gun in her trunk and a thug who brings a 9mm to school. It sounds like the supt. has some leeway in dealing with this and has indicated that a year suspension isn't going to happen. I hope this turns out well for the young lady.
For the record, I am an avid hunter, shooter, and am also a hunter safety instructor.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neazor91:
It is simply a safety issue.
Mike

A forgotten firearm locked in a trunk is a safety issue? One that should be punished by a years or more suspension?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard read my post again. There should be a distinction between the girl,s case and someone carrying a gun is school. No, she shouldn,t get a years suspension. Apparently, the supt. agrees.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a member of our community's school board and would like to underline what neazor91 said. Sadly, things are different now. Kids just can't be allowed to bring guns or knives to school.That said, "zero-tolerance policies" are asinine. Life is full of shades of gray and a kid who inadvertantly brings a gun to school in her car is very different from a kid who intentionally brings a handgun into the school building-- and should be treated accordingly.

We recently had an incident in one of our schools where a young kid was at school for his last day before moving away to another community. He had brought various of his friends' possessions to school to return them, including a "pistol" pellet gun. I am proud to say that our superintendent just had the pellet gun held in the principal's office until the end of the day, when it was given to the kid's parent. The kid was strongly reminded that even pellet guns can't be brought to school, but no further action was taken. In my view, that was exactly the proper response.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in highschool most of the boys myself included carried pocket knives, as well as all the male teachers. During deer season most of us had our deer rifles in our trucks espically on friday because we all left from school and went straight to deer camp. When I was a senior the principal called myself and most of my friends to his office to tell us that we could no longer bring them on school property. He knew that we all had them for hunting not some other purpose and did not want to see anyone get in trouble. A few weeks later the police began searching vehicles, and mine was one of the first. Apparntly there was a new student who's parents had complained after the saw one in someones gun rack. This was during the early 90's needless to say everything has changed now.

Posts: 54 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sdirks,

Congrats to your supt. A person with common sense. This approach should be used with the girl in Montana.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Maybe its just because im European, but why in the hell should anyone take a knife or a gun etc to a School in the first place ? Or just leaving a rifle in the car ? How many car burglarys each year in the states ? If you can forget that you have a rifle in the car maybe you can forget that you have not locked the door to your car ? How many accidental shootings each year ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Making a law against having a gun in a car in school is the American way of dealing with a symptom and not dealing with the core root of the problem.

No one wants to deal with the fact that kids have no parents (70% of Black kids are born out of wedlock and about 39% or so of white kids... with Hispanic in the middle). 50% of marriages end in divorce. Teachers can't say boo to students and... heck, just thinking of the REAL problems that lead to teen violence makes me want to puke. We want kids to raise themselves with no guidence or morals and then we penalize the people who are the potential victims of our Lord of the Flies educational system and Oprah/Clinton/Kardashian domestic lifestyle.

I remember flying with my rifles back in the early 60's. I carried mine in a soft case and the pilot would lean it up against the bulkhead in the cockpit. Guns on airplanes aren't a problem. It's religious zealot/terrorists that are the problem and as usual, we (TSA) are doing a Band-Aid fix that limits law abiding us instead of kicking the doo-doo out of those who want the plane to take a dirt bath.

I wish I were king. I'd fix all that crap.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody recall the details please, but do you guys remember when employees in Oklahoma City or Tulsa were fired because they had firearms stored away in their automobiles in the company parking lot.

They filed suit on Second Ammendment infringement and perhaps others ammendments and WON. Certainly this young lady doesn't vote yet, but the school board is going to be aware of a lot of these factors. I'm in Billings and I can tell you that this travesty is making the Internet locally like an August forest fire. Emails are piling up in Columbia Falls. I think this will be resolved correctly.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good lord, what happened to plan common sense? Gee's its Montana for godsakes and its hunting Season. Gee he should have asked the young lady did you get an elk and if so, can I score a steak or two from you? I would have patched it up, by well I didn't have my hearing aid on, why do you just go home for a few minutes, here is a hall pass, you forgot bring your lunch or a book or something. In my day in high School, even in CT it was common to have all kinds of shotguns and rifles in our cars ammo too, if it was hunting season or you shot on the rifle team. It never dawned on us that we could shoot each other. Then again, we use to settle disagreements with fist fights now and again too. Boxing was popular way to get it out of your system. Judge G, I would have loved to watch you do your thing in Court, you sound like what a Judge is suppose to be.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Making a law against having a gun in a car in school is the American way of dealing with a symptom and not dealing with the core root of the problem.

No one wants to deal with the fact that kids have no parents (70% of Black kids are born out of wedlock and about 39% or so of white kids... with Hispanic in the middle). 50% of marriages end in divorce. Teachers can't say boo to students and... heck, just thinking of the REAL problems that lead to teen violence makes me want to puke. We want kids to raise themselves with no guidence or morals and then we penalize the people who are the potential victims of our Lord of the Flies educational system and Oprah/Clinton/Kardashian domestic lifestyle.

I remember flying with my rifles back in the early 60's. I carried mine in a soft case and the pilot would lean it up against the bulkhead in the cockpit. Guns on airplanes aren't a problem. It's religious zealot/terrorists that are the problem and as usual, we (TSA) are doing a Band-Aid fix that limits law abiding us instead of kicking the doo-doo out of those who want the plane to take a dirt bath.

I don't think you can decree intelligence or common sense. Although I will say that as a prosecutor I have frequently wished (especially in my juvenile court days) that one of the dispositional options availible to the court was a good swift kick in the pants.

Seriously, though, I tend to agree with you that many of the safety-related rules schools make or have to live with are ultimately the result of poor (or non-existent) parenting. There are some folks who really just should not have children because they don't really want them and don't want to-- or know how to-- care for them. Those are the kids who cause the bulk of the problems in school, and then on the street when they grow up. And then of course they have kids. Job security for me, but it sucks for everyone else.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:

You have my vote!

JudgeG For King!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Maybe its just because im European, but why in the hell should anyone take a knife or a gun etc to a School in the first place ? Or just leaving a rifle in the car ? How many car burglarys each year in the states ? If you can forget that you have a rifle in the car maybe you can forget that you have not locked the door to your car ? How many accidental shootings each year ?

Ummmmm first because we want to. Its called FREEDOM! No other reason is needed.

I carry a pocketknife everywhere, have since childhood.

Secondly for convenience, to hunt on the way to and from school.

Why should the law abiding citizen be restricted? Why not simply dispose of the burglar?

It's a very slippery slope to determine what should or shouldn't be allowed based upon others determinations of just what "need" is.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com