<allen day>
posted
That's true.......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
depending on the browns, they may tone the green down. Looks good

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I like camo stocks, and I like the pattern of yours. Nice job. The only criticism I might have is that I think the shade of green is too bright........

AD

posted Hide Post
It looks good so far.

How about taking some leaves and/or branches and use them as templates (spray right over them)?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a stock I am in the process of painting.

I use an airbrush and am still to add more colours, two browns.

I think it would look better freehand, as you can get fine liens with the airbrush, but for this one I'll stick to masking.

How does it look? Got any suggestions?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of finish will you put on the metal?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a varmint hunters website that has a neat pattern. I think it is Varmint Al's. He painted the stock one or two basic colors alternating. Then he took two other colors and laid bamboo leaves and stems just as they come off the cane, over it and just sprayed over. Gives in depth 3-D look. It works great. However, with the over the counter spray paints it needs to be redone to look nice about once a year. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Express,
Nice job. Sometimes these things can get a bit too well hidden. Three years ago I was speaking to a hunter who I have known for years that hunts the same area as I do in Idaho. I was talking about a range finder and he said he had one I could have. It was a decent brand and he said it was mine for the taking. I was a bit shocked if you can imagine and I asked him where it was. He said it was up the west fork of blah blah creek on a stump and it has a camo coating on it and he is damned if he can find it. a rifle will he harder to lose but don't do too good of a job on it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys; I have tried the leaf template before, though with spray cans, and it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. With an airbrush however it would be a lot better.

With this stock I just want to put on a very disruptive pattern. Once all the colours have gone on, it will get a going over with the very fine steel wool used for taking the shine off furnature, which I have found is better than the very fine sandpapers for getting rid of gloss(even though the paint is matte) I found it depends how much thinning you mix with it how glossy it will be.

If you use very high air pressure and lots of thinner you get a perfectly matte finish, but it's delicate.

Chic, I know what you mean about making things too camo, I dropped a glove at last light recently and was never able to find it, also a camo can lok cheesy if it gets too "busy".

I'll post the finished product when it's done.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good and is also practical.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I would add a small amount of black or dark grey. I don't know where you hunt but in this neck of the woods they are dominant colors during hunting season.Great job

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote