Just got home from 18 day elk hunting trip in
northwest Co Took a bull the last day of season
Had the bull scored and he grossed 351 neted
342 1/8 Got him cow calling another bull and he
was coming in , not to my calling but to run off
the bull I was calling. Boned him out and back-
packed him out 6.1 miles. Got a hold of a friend
and he brought his mule and packed the head out
Most of the bulls I saw had broken horns and some were beat up pretty bad.
And this bull seemed to be doing most it
Charlie
My first attempt to post a pictue comming up

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull! Good going, tough pack job!

Weidmannsheil - mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull, sounds like a great hunt clap

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hysider that is a sweeeet bull! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the photo. What rifle, type of shot etc. did the trick for you?

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Holy schnausers

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
That is an exceptional bull. Nicely, very nicely done!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don ,
Sako 75 300 RUM, 200gr AB, he was passing through fairly heavy pinon trees, about 200 yds
1 shot, AB went thru both shoulders and exited
Chalie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
awesome bull--congrats----chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations for sure. Quite a nice Trophy.

Do you have a space large enough to hang the mount?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Hysider, that has to be one of the most perfectly symetrical 6pt bulls I've seen in a long time... VERY nice. Good on ya...

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Congrats..

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
The trophy of a lifetime. And you did it yourself which makes it even better. Congrats. Once Bulls get into the 350+ class, they all look awesome. Yours is beautiful.

One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
Congrats! thats a nice looking bull.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hysider:

Nice bull

Could you please explain "18 days of hunting."

The seasons in Colorado aren't that long if you use a rifle.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull!!

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Bull! And on your own! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hysider: Thats the "big bull" of the year so far - that I have seen! Congratulations to you on the great trophy!
And kudos also on the long Hunt!
18 days shows dedication and intensity of endeavor that is seldom seen much anymore!
For instance the Elk opener is coming here to SW Montana this Sunday (October 23rd) and I plan on Hunting Elk that day but I also plan on being home that night to sleep in my comfy California King size bed!
You deserved that dandy!
Again good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a BEAUTY!

Should make a wonderful mount ... and with 18 days invested, it'll bring back lots of great memories.

Congratulations!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hysider, sounds like the Accubond really did the trick. Nicely done on the shot execution! A fine trophy like yours sure does help bring back the memories for one when reflecting on it in it's final place in your home.

Nice work!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also a little curius about the 18 day of hunting mentioned. Colorado rifle seasons run a week and a half at the most. Also, his signature line mentions area 10. It takes over 15 preference points to draw a tag in that area. Still, it's a really nice bull, but I'm a little suspicious.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well guys I spent 11 days hunting and 7 days prior
to that finishing off bear hunting season and
scouting for elk. Both the elk and bear tag were for the same unit (1) and it took me 8 pts to draw
the elk tag , I bear huntrd in unit 1 the last
three years and noticed that a lot of big bulls
were coming in from unit 2 and 201 because there
seems to be a rather large number of cows that live
in unit one. If I would of had more time to elabor-
ate on my post I would have, but work took me right
out of town again
Charlie