Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 effective range on deer
 Login/Join

posted
I have read a lot of forums about whether or not deer can be taken with a .243. I have gotten past all that and realize most of it depends on three things, the bullet, the distance and most importantly the shooter. I am seriously considering purchasing a .243 and have a three questions for those who hunt deer with a .243. What is the longest shot you have you have taken with your .243, what bullet did you use and what was the result of the shot on the deer? (How far did the deer travel?)

Thanks in advance

one of us
posted Hide Post
i do not personally use the .243, but a friend does quite well with it. he uses the remington/winchester/federal factory ammo (whatever is on sale) with 100-grain pills and enjoys regular success (dead deer) with this combination.

i've personally witnessed shots out slightly beyond 200 yards; the bullet expanded and went through the deer's ribcage, just as it should. i see no reason why a well-placed 300-yard shot wouldn't have similar results.

my own opinion/preference is that a deer cartridge shouldn't be smaller than 6.5mm (.264), but as i said, my friend seems to do well with his .243.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2nd Hand Lion

I have used the .243 WIN. on Deer and Antelope in Wyoming since 1974. And now that we have better bullets, It's even more reson to have one. I have used handloads in mine, H-414 a fed. 210 primer and the Speer or Sierra 85gr. also the Hornady 87gr. bullet. When the rifle is used in Michigan I like the Speer 105gr. with H-4350, and a fed. 210 primer. One thing about .243 is there is little recoil so people tend to aim a bit better.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
The .243 is one of my favorite cartridges and I have used it on a truck load of deer and antelope. I'd say about the farthest practical range 300 yards. After that it looses power pretty quickly. One surprising bullet for it is the Speer 85 BTSP. Took a muley doe with one. She was quartering away at about 100 yards so the bullet hit at high velocity and penetrated about 14". It was found under the skin on the off side and retained well over half of it's weight (I lost it before I could weigh it).

The farthest shot I can remember was about 450 yards with a Hornady 87 grainer. Hit a doe antelope and put her down with one shot but it is something I really don't want to repeat.

Some people will disagree with me but stay away from the Nosler Balistic Tips. Even the hunting weight ones. They will put an animal down DRT but they destroy too much meat in the process. The antelope in my avatar was shot with a 95 gr Balistic Tip (hunting bullet not a varminter) from my .243. I hit him at about 150 yards and it destroyed most of the onside shoulder.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good cartridge.. I have taken deer out to 350 yds with it, and instantly have them go down..
( I had a solid rest available for that shot, so it was not an off hand scenario... unlike what a lot of other guys tell you they did..

with an 85 to 105 grain Bullet, you have a very competent deer load....regardless of what the naythsayers complain about....

23rd Psalms!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its my fav,i shot one hog deer over 250 yards its didnt kill the animal instantly but it ran for about 50 yards i put 2 bullets,i also shot 1 sindh ibex over 100 yards with it 85 grain,rifle ruger with leopold fixed power scope,

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 yards or so.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Lion:

I have shot three white tail deer in the Pennsylvania woods with a 243 Winchester using 100 grain Sierra bullets. The longest shot was approximately 80 yards and the closest 15 feet. All three deer hit were one shot kills and none traveled over 30 feet after I shot them.

Not too happy with the Sierra bullets though. The first bullet shed its jacket on a downward LH frontal quartering shot into a large doe, but still penetrated and knocked out the lungs. Second deer at 15 feet had a 4" diameter exit wound. It literally picked the deer up and dropped it five feet. This was a LH broadside shot in the lung/heart area.

Last one was at 80 yards, and the bullet penciled through, puncturing the lower 1/3rd of the heart.

Now, I used the 243 for goundhogs all summer, so hitting a deer in the vitals at under 100 yards was, well, you get the picture.

I don't know how fast they were going at the time, but not full power loads. I loaded down for accuracy.

Bottom line, it killed them.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Furthest kill with my 243 Stainless Featherweight was 226yds with a 95gr Nosler Balistic Tip that went through both shoulders. Bang, flop, DRT. The 243 is a fine round although I would limit my shots to around 350 yds. I would also probably limit my shots to that with most any other rifle. I just think I could probably sneek up a little closer.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest issue with this question is the weight of the intended deer!

I've used plenty of mid range bullets to shoot plenty of average white tail sized deer out to about 150yard - does fantastic. Favourite bullets are the 90gr BT, 87gr Hornady SP, 85gr Speer BTSP and 85gr Sierra BTHP.

I've used one 105gr speer hot core SP to kill one red that weighed like a small elk cow - 40yard shot high through both shoulders which exited and killed the deer in 50yards. Knowing I was on the light side, I really placed that shot! I would have gone out to 300yards but only at perfect angle and because I had my dog with me.

The 243 is my absolute favourite!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'll go against the grain on the ballistic tip. I think it is a fine bullet for small deer/antelope. I've loaded it for my friend and he's taken quite a few animals with it now and he's a guy who bitches more than anyone I know regarding meat loss.

He's never complained and I've never witnessed any wound channel that would lead me to believe that it destroys meat by the masses.

2005, 200+ yards, Doe antelope, 243, 95 btip, small hole in, small hole out, total destruction in between, and it was a quartering away shot. Only meat lost was rib meat, and not much of it.

I personally do not own a 243 and have no desire to buy one. I'd take up a 7-08 first. Still has mild recoil and is an excellent caliber.

You'll kill with a 243 inside of 300 yards no problem. Beyond that, I have no experience or accounts. But you may have to do some tracking because a 6mm bullet, even when expanded and exits, still leaves a small hole.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why go through all the angst? Just buy you a 7-08 and be done with it. Then you don't have to question the cartridges's capabilities. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Why go through all the angst? Just buy you a 7-08 and be done with it. Then you don't have to question the cartridges's capabilities. Big Grin

Yep, +1 for that, as I previously mentioned, it would be my choice anyway.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have kill several deer out to 300 yards with my 243 with 87 gr. Hornady bullets. Great round and a great deer killer. SHOT PLACEMENT is everything.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .243 is a fine cartridge. It is mild mannered and flat shooting. Loaded with good quality bullets, it will despatch deer cleanly at sensible ranges. As usual this depends on correct shot placement, but that is the same for any cartridge regardless of it's size.

the nut behind the butt

Posts: 135 | Location: Somerset | Registered: 15 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on where you stick the bullet but I would think that 300 yards or a bit more as reasonable..

My problem with the 6mm is in many instances they don't leave a good blood trail and in some cases none at all...good blood trails begin with the 30 caliber IMHO.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of deer killed and wounded with 243's. Kinda like bows... Nobody talks about the ones that got shot and crawled off to die an agonizing death.

I agree with Ray. A 30 cal is an excellent cartridge for deer and I can't imagine why anyone would try to use a varmint cartridge for deer.

If recoil is an issue then get a good recoil pad and brake.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray and Bob. I used to shoot a .250 Savage and I never lost a deer with it, but I also never got a blood trail. Now I shoot a .300 WSM and I ALWAYS get a very good blood trail.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 243 and 6MM Remington quite a bit in the past. My favorite bullet was the 105 grain Speer and I never lost a deer. I also got exit holes and a blood trail that was generally short. I kept all my shots under 250 yards and feel it is a good killer of deer to that range.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we talk about deer hunting, in particular, white tail they range in size from a 75 pound weakling to a 400 pound monster. I've used the .243 Winchester with 100 grain bullets on a few smaller white tail at ranges up to 150 yards. The deer showed no reaction upon receiving the bullet other than to take off running and falling dead within a hundred yards.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The .243 is an excellent cartridge. That notwithstanding the bigger is better crowd.
My daughter started hunting with a Remington Model Seven in .243. Short barrelled and not able to produce the maximium potential of the cartridge. With that rifle, shooting hand loaded Nosler 95 grain partitions, she took everything from Desert Mule deer and Pronghorn, to African plains game, all with one shot. A pleasure to shoot, and easily downsized for varmints. clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 243 win till I lost two hudge bucks.I shot them at 50 yards and 150 yards.I found the tiny blood drtop trails it left and trailed one to a gut pile to another guys stand.i fould the other one year later in a gulley.I used the 30-06 a while then changed to the 338 win mag.I have shot 90 deer with 90 shots from 3 yards to 425 yards.It tears up way less meat and you can eat to the bullet hole.I have shot many running deer with it.I save my two 243s from training kids and coyote hunting.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The .338 Win Mag for deer bewildered I know it will work, but isn't that kinda like using a
30-06 for rabbits? I'd recommend a .458 Lott for deer. Using a Texas heart shot you'd field dress him as you shot him. sofa

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
No Bill... Killing game with larger calibers is almost always a faster and cleaner way to do it.

You waste far less meat and can "eat right up to the hole".

dgr416 was revealing a little known truth that big calibers that still move bullets faster than 2400fps (not to include the 45-70 etal) kill very quickly from ANY angle and destroy almost NO MEAT at all!!!

If you can handle the recoil you'll find a whole new world of killing game and finding them literally dead in their tracks exactly where you shot them if you use from 308 up to a 416 Rem Mag with controlled expansion bullets like the excellent Nosler Partition.

I live in Florida where brush so thick that most men would never think of entering it, is just a few steps away from deer at almost any time, and anchoring a deer is imperative. I use a 308 or 300SAUM with a Nosler Partition and the deer rarely even take one step after the shot and you can "eat right up to the hole".

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also turned the .338 Win Mag on deer from inside 100 paces out to 412 paces. The deer were dead on the spot without taking a step. No meat damage. Good clean immediate kill.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer your first question, my farthest kill with a 243 was a 4x3 mule deer at around 250yds. I used a 100gr Remington Core-lokt. It had nice exit wounds but it only ribs were hit. There was actually ZERO reaction from the deer. I shot at it (and hit it) twice and then it just walked off. I found a big blood trail though and the deer only went 50yds.

If I was starting out fresh, I would consider a 7mm-08. The recoil is still very mild and there it is more umph at the animal. You'll NEVER have to worry about range or being undergunned. A 243 will work in most cases, the 7mm-08 will always work.

RH

Posts: 79 | Location: Northwest Atlanta | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have never taken deer/antelope w/ a 243, primarily because I have seen others do it & was for the most part unimpressed. It seems to either kill like a lightning bolt under say 200yds or fail to anchor w/ a good shot & small blood trails, long tracking jobs. Like Ray, I prefer bigger holes & the 260 or 7-08 are pretty mild carts. for the recoil shy.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I've killed Texas whitetails with the .243. It will do the job. But, as others have said, using a larger bore will produce more dramatic results with less meat damage and a far better blood trail if you botch the shot.

Unless you're recoil averse, I recommend a larger caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Igot some deer that had been shot in the front shoulder with 270 winchester with 130 gr balistic tips.I had to throw them away.I was even afraid to give them to my dogs from the bullert jecket splattered all through the blood shot meat.I was very disapointed in the 243 on deer.It did alright on does less than 120 pounds and under 150 yards.It totally failed me on two big bucks and I stoipped using it all together.I can shoot deer running wide open with my 338 win mag and know I will still have lots of meat.They dont leave their tracks standing still and hardly take a step running.I use 200 gr power points by Winchester.They are 2950 fps and are very accurate.I have shot many clover leafs in my Ruger model 77s old and new models and stainles.I like the old Ruger model 77 best because of the tang safety.My 243 is a old model 77 also .Its now my varmit rifle.I cant believe that so many people will chance larger game with a 243.One of my friends daughters got a moose year before last with her 243.It took 5 shots and one to the head and about 45 mins to kill it.Her dad has shot 5 moose woith my 338 wion mag and none left their tracks.He was very impressed with my 338 vs 30-06.I love my 338s and use the 338-378 in open country to stretch the 338 baliber bullets long range ability.I no longer see any .22 caliber or .243 caliber as a good big game cartridge any more.I just dont trust them.You get lost deer or sporatic droplets blood trails nif you loose your deer.I got tired of deer running and some one else getting them.I have never lost a deer with the 338 win mag usung the 200 gr winchester power point loads.The 200 gr hornady is very close to this bullet for reloaders.The 338 win mag is about the smallest gun for big game you should consider in Alaska and use the 250 gr bullets in case of bears.The 338 win mag is one of the finest big game rifles for all North american big Game.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot about 20 deer with my 243. Longest kill is a doe pronghorn 400 yards with Hornady SST 95 grain ballistic tips. They are very accurate in my gun and hold together better than NBT IMO. I started using 85gr Barnes TSX last year and shot 2 deer with them, no complaints so far with that bullet either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
it always surprises me to hear about unkillable deer using the 243. I have had the oposite results. My 6MM Remington was a favorite for years till feral hogs started taking over Texas. I would still use it in Wyoming for antelope and deer. I think an alarmed deer might just run a ways hit with any rifle.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
I think an alarmed deer might just run a ways hit with any rifle.

!!I'll say. I'd run to if someone hit me with a rifle. Especially the barrel. That would really hurt.

How far a deer might run if hit with a bullet, well, that's anyone's guess. Big Grin

<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
quote:
I think an alarmed deer might just run a ways hit with any rifle.

True - but, there is a notable difference in response if you pop them with a heavy caliber i.e. .375 H&H and above. Those big rounds often knock them flat on a shoulder shot. Weird thing is there's not much tissue damage - no significant hydroshock. Hence the claim "you can eat right up to hole". Elmer Keith preached the merits of heavy calibers. I totally agree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot placement is everything no matter what caliber you use. I have killed deer with 22LR,
223,22-250, 220 swift, 243, 2506, 6.5x55,
264 mag,30 M1 carbine, 308, 3006, and 300 mag.
I never take a shot if I can't pick my shot
but I have never had to go looking for one yet either they dropped where I shot them.

Posts: 25 | Location: terlton,Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2007Reply With Quote