New
Find
Notify
Tools

NC or Maine Black Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering an east coast black bear hunt in the next year or two and can't decide if it should be in NC or up somewhere in Maine.

Who has the bigger bears? Has anyone hunted either state for black bear? If so, any outfitter recommendations? I do know that Maine seems to have more opportunities/outfitters based on my google searches but any suggestions or thoughts would be deeply appreciated!

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott ,
I hunted N.C. several years back . I saw about 100 trucks with dog boxes around Tellico Plains Tn which boarders the Natl Forrest in NC. Never saw a bear not even a dead one at the meat processor . The hunt was a 3 day hike in the woods,too many hunters too many dogs and no bear.
Some friends of mine have had good luck in Maine all taking nice bears over bait. They have been going about 5 years now. I want to go with them sometime in the future .

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
I hunted Maine 2X. The average is + or - 200lbs, but you will probably kill one during your stay. There are some monsters, but you are lucky to kill one.
I hunted with Foggy Mountain Outfitters.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pm Sent

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Great feedback...especially from you Rug! I know NC has some big bears but I've wondered why the hunting isn't as advertised. Maine may wind up being the best bet if I decide to hunt the east vs west.

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be contridictive as I have no PERSONAL experience but it was coastal NC I've always heard had big bear. Anyone else have input??? An E.NC. outfitter I spoke to at a show last week claimed he sees them daily through the summer but they become spotty during the season. I to would love to hear from those with experience there.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
A few years ago 4 of us went to Maine. We all took bears. Sizes were 350, 225, 180 and 125.

www.alagashguideservice.com was the outfitter.

I have heard NC has big bears but no first hand experience.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
Also have hunted Maine. Please try the Oxbow in Oxbow Maine. In the 4 week season of 2008 they killed 54 bears, wounded 4, sighted and didn't shoot 7 fot 72 hunters. Wonderful facilities, food and guides.

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In NC the east coast produces more and bigger bears than the western region

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, Check out Josh Rhodes http://www.blackbearhunting.us/

Posts: 75 | Location: Spring, Texas,USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bears are here for certain. i saw a monster tagged during my moose hunt in The County in 2008. You may also consider PM'ing Ann whose tag name is Aspen Hill Adventures as she does some bookings across the border in Nova Scotia where they have a very good bear poplulation as well.

good luck.

jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a big bear, go to Pennsylvania. If you want to hunt Maine, I have hunted with this fellow for several years. Great camp, great food and always great people up there.

His name is Randy Flannery
Tell him Evil Tom sent ya!!

http://www.wildernessescape.com/blkbear.html

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Maine for years the best hunting for bear is in the western part of the state and not to far north. The northern part, Allagash, has bears a plenty also too many part time guides and outfitters fighting for them. Just look at how many outfitters work out of the small towns and that will give you a good indication of the compition for the bears. You want to be in the western part between Rangley and Sugarloaf Ski mountain area. Look for an outfitter that has several townships worth of hunting rights leased off the paper company.
"Bear" in mind that any established outfitter has been taking bears off his leases for some time..the majority of the truely big bears go first but you more than likely will have a few opportunites at 150-200# bears in a week over bait. I've hunted and snared a bunch of them in Maine never killing one over 225#.
One outfit I'd recommend is Orin Young/Bounty Hunter Guide Service in New Portland, Maine anyone that can trap/snare a couple hundred bears knows his stuff...bears are smart! He also has good bobcat hound hunts in Dec. & Jan.
Doc.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I have a great outfit in New Brunswick for eastern black bear.

~Ann

Posts: 19218 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Ann, and everyone else!! I have a lot to work with now and there should be no reason for me not to find a place to hunt a bear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on the hunt with Rug and that was a big bust. Besides seeing what seemed like hundreds of trucks driving around dogs on the hood we just spent a few days chasing the pack of dogs up and down the mountains. All this time the guide we had was spending more time looking for one of his dogs that did not come back a few days earlier.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why Maine or NC? You should think about MN - tons of black bears, and you can do it yourself if you haul your own bait. Outfitters are not that expensive. I shot five black bears in northern MN; never drew a blank.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Geoff as well, I think he has some awesome feral swine adventures.

~Ann

Posts: 19218 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eastern NC has some big bears.Vanceboro,NC registered the state record a few years ago and I don't know of a larger bear weight wise taken,it was 880lbs.All that said the outfitters are slim.The best chance you have is with hounds,and there are a few that offer hunts.Here's one to build your fire,and good luck to you where ever you choose to go.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy

Posts: 237 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out this NC guide.

http://www.huntwildwing.com/bear.htm

I hunted waterfowl with him. He's a class act and runs a good business. High percent success on bears, fair chase, big bears.