New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet choices
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I drew a barbary sheep tag in Nm. I plan on taking one of my 7 rem mags. I have a few bullets to choose from and would like a few opinions. I have Hornady 139 gr GMX,SST and IB as well as Berger 168 vldh. I also have a box of Barnes 175 x bullets that i really didn't consider until just now. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 90 | Location: Land of the Gila, Nm | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Never hunted Aoudad, but the Berger's or the Barnes would be my choice.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Audad are fairly tough animals and can take a beating so whichever you feel as the best stopping power, remember they are African animals and their heart lung area is more forward than north american animals. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Clark:
Audad are fairly tough animals and can take a beating so whichever you feel as the best stopping power, remember they are African animals and their heart lung area is more forward than north american animals. Good luck on your hunt.

From what anatomical reference book did you come up with that statement about the placement of the heart/lung area?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what anatomical reference book did you come up with that statement about the placement of the heart/lung area?

That would be interesting to know. From my experience, mammalian body physiology is pretty standard, especially with hoof stock.

Heart and lungs are basically in the same place, the chest cavity, not up into the neck, which is where they would have to be if they were moved forward in the chest cavity.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have pounded everything with my 7 mag deer elk coyotes what ever. I use the Hornady 139 gr sp. They are super accurate and they just work. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Any of the bullets you mention would do fine, but of those listed, I'd take the SST or IB and not look back. While they have terrific eyesight, aoudad are not bullet proof and do not require a mono-metal projectile to put them down. I've only taken one, but a 100 grain Nosler BT from a 14" .257 JDJ Contender dropped him in his tracks from 190 yards.

Good luck on the hunt!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9341 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

That would be interesting to know. From my experience, mammalian body physiology is pretty standard, especially with hoof stock.

Heart and lungs are basically in the same place, the chest cavity, not up into the neck, which is where they would have to be if they were moved forward in the chest cavity.

Confused...in the neck????
African antelope's vitals are forward a bit, inches not feet, but how in the world did you get that they were in the neck from that statement???

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try looking at it this way, look at an animal broadside. The heart and lung are normally located in the chest cavity, for the most part between and slightly behind the front leg bones/below the shoulder blades.

When you move forward of the front leg bones/shoulder blades, on most hoofed animals I am familiar with, you are entering the neck region of the animal.

The top of the rib cage, at least on the animals I have dealt with, the point where the windpipe/esophagus enter the chest cavity, is slightly forward of the front shoulders, but not real far forward of that.

But, since I have never been to Africa and do not have everyone else's vast knowledge of all things African, does that mean a a tight behind the shoulder shot is going to completely miss the lungs because they are farther forward.

That is where my silly comment about the neck came in, simply because in my totally uneducated/hick/redneck concept of life I have been stupidly considering the part of an animals body forward of the shoulders as the neck. I am ashamed for being such an idiot, may God have mercy on my miserable soul.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've probably killed over 30 aoudad. Hit 'em where you're supposed to and they'll go down. Use the bullet your rifle shoots the best.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input. I knew I could count on you all. All the aforementioned bullete shoot great out of both rifles, so I guess I will flip a coin and start practicing for neck shots! Cool

Posts: 90 | Location: Land of the Gila, Nm | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted aoudad, but from my vast experience of one African plains game bow hunt, you do have to shoot a bit further forward than experience with our deer & antelope tells you to. Maybe the shape of the shoulder joint?

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you do have to shoot a bit further forward

How much is a "Bit"????

And anyone that respondes with 12 and 1/2 cents, that is done covered.

Are you talking about 8 to 10 inches farther forward, or 5 inches or less

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
you do have to shoot a bit further forward

How much is a "Bit"????

And anyone that respondes with 12 and 1/2 cents, that is done covered.

Are you talking about 8 to 10 inches farther forward, or 5 inches or less

On the shoulder, and lower third, as oppossed to behind and half way up the shoulder for a heart shot. Defenitely 5 inches or less. Not a neck shot Cool.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote