THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The 220 Swift is better than the 25-06 on Elk
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 220 Swift is better than the 25-06 on Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Handloader:
I suppose you could kill an Elk with a stick if you could get him to stand still long enough for you to beat his brains in. [Eek!]

Yeah, but it would have to be a Big Stick. [Smile] No offense, Big Stick. That was just a lay up.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Gerard Schultz>
posted
Spoke to a guy a couple of months back whose business it is to correct the balance of herds on game farms at the end of the season. He surveys the herds and then takes off the animals that were maimed during the season by "hunters" with their correct for the game calibers, sorts out the ratio of rams/ewes and so on. He deals with plains game only. He mentioned that at that point he had 99 consecutive one shot kills. The equipment? A 22-250 with 40 grain monometallic bullets. A game farmer in Marienthal in Namibia has 16 consecutive one shot kills on gemsbuck on record. Distance ranged from close to 378 metres according to his Swarovski range finder scope. Same bullet and caliber.

Just because something has been "done that way" for a hundred years it does not mean that a better method will not be found. In fact it is very likely that a better method will come along. When it does, you can ridicule, kick and scream all you like, but sooner or later you will exchange your telegraph machine for a computer with e-mail. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know local farmers that shoot dozens of deer a year with 223s and swear by it. Of course if a wounded one gets away they don't care. For the limited time I have to hunt I want a rifle that will kill the biggest game the quickest. You'll never convince me that this is a 22 caliber anything.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
A 220 swift on elk, "WHY" with all the other cartridges out there that are better suited for them would you shoot one with a .22??????????
Foolish?? Stupid?? Cheap?? Which one? Do you even have elk where you live? God, i hope not!! If you do and have and don't have enough respect for them to use a proper cartridge then i feel sorry for you and mostly "Them"!!!

Sorry for the rant but they i think they are the most majestic animal God gave us and i hold them with the utmost "respect"!!!!!!

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
su35,
Sorry about the rant. Went back and read the rest of it! Sorry again! [Embarrassed] [Smile]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Why did I even look at this thread?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote