Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maine Bear hunts
 Login/Join

posted
Special going on right now at Eastern Ridge Adventures in Maine on their Fully Guided Black Bear Hunts over bait. They had some cancelations the FIRST WEEK. They are offering these for only $995, first come first serve.

the info they sent me was http://www.blackbearhunting.us

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
If you're hawking hunts, fine, lots here do, but to come out with an ad on your first post posing as a helpful non-interested party, well...

And $1K? I know at least two outfits with high success in ME that did bear over bait for $600.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:

And $1K? I know at least two outfits with high success in ME that did bear over bait for $600.

Who? Are those fully guided or semi guided? What all does the $600 include/exclude??

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Semi-guided, in the Rangely Lakes region, over baited stands. I have a friend who took one with his Kentucky flinter last year with them. Not a real big bear, but he and his 12 year old son had a blast. Out of 8 hunters in camp, I think 5 killed bears, 1 missed and two had suspicious bears that never presented a shot. I was in camp to fish and relax (I have bear hunted but not into that sort of hunt myself--just a preference thing).

I'll get a name and PM you. And no, I have zero affiliation with that, or any other outfit.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari,

Would you send me that info as well?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Semi-guided, in the Rangely Lakes region, over baited stands. I have a friend who took one with his Kentucky flinter last year with them. Not a real big bear, but he and his 12 year old son had a blast. Out of 8 hunters in camp, I think 5 killed bears, 1 missed and two had suspicious bears that never presented a shot. I was in camp to fish and relax (I have bear hunted but not into that sort of hunt myself--just a preference thing).

I'll get a name and PM you. And no, I have zero affiliation with that, or any other outfit.

Well I certainly mean no offense but if you look at the website that was posted, you will see that the $995 is fully guided with lodging and meals. Josh charges around $600-$700 for a semi guided hunt also, so that is also on par with the outfitter you mentioned. Josh's hunts usually run around $1195.

I had my first ever bear hunt with them last Sept and it was a blast. They are the reason I went to New Brunswick and Alberta this spring. I had so much fun, I'll probably bear hunt every spring and fall somewhere!

Same thing happened with me. Someone posted that Eastern Ridge Adventures had a cancellation and the hunters lost their deposit and it was fwd to me. I took the hunt last minute. I flew from Dayton to Bangor, and they came and got me, 90 miles one way, included in the fee. Now They charge a shuttle fee.

They run a ton of baits and evey hunter has access to probably about 8 baits each that have never been hunted. They bait with a 5 gallon bucket DAILY and each and every barrel was cleaned out while I was there. That is impressive but probably common.

They seem to use it all: fryolator grease, sweet cakes, donuts, meat, lobster shell, table scraps.

Good outfit and I highly recommend them. I'm still interested in reading about your contacts too, however.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
My buddy is fishing somewhere on the Cape, so I'll PM the info to you boys that asked for it as I hear back from him.

As to the prices and semi-guided vs. guided stuff: my initial angst was more that some one would pop up their head here simply with profit in mind. I've been wandering and lurking on many sites for years, including AR, and lean here for several reasons, but mostly as it seems to me more like a family (dysfunctional one, but fam' nonetheless Wink ) where people are generally willing to be helpful and open to sharing experiences relating to hunting, travel wisdom, stories, etc., and it flows across the board.

I may be confused by the 'guided' terminology. The hunts that these guys do is over bait. You are led to/dropped off at stands that are actively being hit by bears that have been kept filled. Should you shoot a bear, they come find it/track it if need be, dress it, haul it back to camp, skin it, then store your meat. He is *not* holding your hand on stand to help you choose whether a bear's a shooter or not or tell you when to shoot. Which kind is that (not being funny, really don't know)?

And we camped while up there, so maybe that's why it's so much cheaper than the one I originally scoffed at. I'm fairly certain that they also have accomodations and other services nearby, but I personally like being outside when up there.

As to my original bashing, it was a bit much if 'holiday' is actually a fellow hunter trying only to be helpful. But I doubt it.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, the hunting you describe is damn close to a "fully guided" hunt over bait. To Josh, semi guided is, you find your own lodging, you feed yourself, they'll show you where the stands are, you hunt on your own, they'll keep them baited. You kill a bear, you're on your own, but they could probably be persuaded to assist just for fun.

So, with respect to a comparison, I guess Josh is a bit higher than your guys and he does less on his semi guided hunts. I also think that with his semi guided, you can still stay at the lodge but you have to book it yourelf and pay for it ahead of time.

posted Hide Post
No, I am not affilliated with this guide service, just thought I would pass the info. on. A lot of people enjoy hearing of these types of trips and specials, if you don't I'm sorry. But there is better things to be doing on this site than running around accusing people of these things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Maine is great and very reasonable. I hunt every chance I get with an outfit in Oxbow, Maine, and they are very nice people. Got a big Bear out of it too. Rug and all, I had less than $2000 in the hunt. Tough to beat.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been to Maine deer hunting several times but never on a bear hunt. I'm seriously thinking of booking a trip. If I can get the hunt and a mount for less then $1500 than I am willing.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
the rug will run about $100-175 per foot, afull mount will be more

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holiday,

Checkout http://www.oxbowlodge.com. Thomas Aasbow is the guide/owner and he has a vast knowledge of bear/deer hunting after guiding in Colorado, Canada, and buying this place in Maine several years ago. Your tab will probably run a little over $1500 but not much. He did a good job for me but I am sure there are several other great outfits up there as well.

Regards,

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank's for the info, I will check it out.

I talked with eastern ridge adventures and they are willing to pass the cancelled hunters deposits on to others. For $895 I can have a fully guided hunt. I am currently checking references.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can also highly recommend Tom and the Oxbow Lodge. While I've never hunted bear with them, I have hunted 6 years in a row for deer and moose at Oxbow. Tom and his guides are top rate and the food at the lodge is GREAT! I know the success rate for bear is very good too. They have taken several 500lb bears in the last few years.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atticus:
They have taken several 500lb bears in the last few years.

500lbs?!! In Maine?!! Those are big bears for Maine. Website looks good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oxbow Lodge certainly looks like a great operation. Thanks for the tip.

I am also looking at Sportsman's Pride

Anyone have any experience with them?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote