THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    jicarilla elk hunting on the indian reservation

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jicarilla elk hunting on the indian reservation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
hi there people ,

has anyone hunted in this area or with these folks... i have a friend booked there and would welcome any inpiut , best times to be there and any dos or donts most welcome ...bit different to booking africa Wink

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted on the Jicarilla, but have hunted a property right next door. The elk and deer in that area are abundant and of very good trophy quality.

I hunted a ranch that is separated from the Jicarilla by a barbed wire fence. The first time I went there I was simply amazed. On opening morning my 16 year old guide put me on a hill overlooking the fence between our property and the Jicarilla. When it got light I could see any number of really nice bull elk on the reservation side of the fence. The young guide kept reminding me, you cannot shoot one on that side of the fence.

We got great bulls two years in a row hunting that property. That area has some really great deer and elk hunting.

It is really great hunting. The people I hunted with were fun to hunt with, the food was great, etc. etc. The country is really not that steep or hard to hunt. Lots of open areas that the elk really like. You can shoot from up close to way the hell out there. I was lucky, my two elk came at probably 50 yards and maybe 250.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan, I live 45 minutes from the Jic. What were you wanting to know??....wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Had a friend who hunted there about 12 years ago. He did very well. Used a local guide by the name of Larry Pansy, whose son Toot Pansy I met at SCI convention back then. The son appeared to all of the dad and more. But that was then, and now who knows...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with Larson Panzy, son of Larry. A great guide. Excellent hunting but make sure you get a good guide. Ask the Jicarilla game and fish for recommendations. Hire a Panzy would work.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
THANKS GUYS ,
ANY IDEAS ON WHO MAY BE A GUIDE TO ASK FOR ..

APPRECIATE THE HELP .. Wink

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Jicarilla licenses are by drawing and the drawing for 2007 hasn't been held yet. The Jicarilla Nation only sells you a license and you have to hire a tribal member for your guide. Lodging and meals are also separate and hunters usually stay at a motel on the reservation.

I haven't been there but I am considering going this year.

They have a web site with good information.

Posts: 16 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote