New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife has finally agreed to entertain the idea of moving to the west.What states offer the best combination of jobs,living expenses and of course hunting?I work in the construction field and she is in banking.I have been trying for Alaska,but so far she still thinks it's to isloated.I've been up there twice this year and love it.

Thanks in advance

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
whatever you do don't go to california. i just left last year ended up in iowa.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I think your list is a group of mutually exclusive requirements.

With that said figure which are most important and see if you can fill a niche in that state.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Arizona is growing quite well and can be survived in. The big plus is you won't have to leave the guns at the border. Hunting isn't bad, but not as good as NM.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Washington State has a lot to offer. The constuction field and economy for that matter is booming on the west side of the Cascades. Lots of big jobs that are slated to last for years. There are double digit tower cranes in both Seattle and Bellvue. Sound transit (light rail) will go on for another two to three years. The Port of Seattle is thinking of another wing on the airport terminal after the third runway is done (in another year). The Narrows new suspension bridge just got completed but they are going to build another bridge over Lake Washington. The viaduct will be replaced. Lots of construction work from laymen to managers!
The big game hunting has a lot to offer also. Elk, moose, three species of deer, bear, mountain lion, sheep, goats. Small game from three species of turkey, three species of grouse, huns, two species of quail, pheasants, chucker, water foul, varmints, and some of the best fishing from fresh water lakes and rivers to salt. And if your an Indian you can hunt whales! rotflmo

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Alaska does have jobs and hunting. But it can sometimes be hard to do both. The money and time needed to do a quality hunt (if you expect to get anything) can be a lot.

I have lived up here 21 years and am trying to figure out how to move to Montana (not sure about the job thing).

I did not have any problem finding game when I lived in MT. And if I wanted to spend some money and take a little time down there I could hunt a couple nearby states too for what I need to spend up here to hunt. Not have to travel as far either.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it, but Idaho's unemployment rate just went up. All the way to 2.4%. Construction is booming. Of course, the hunting sucks..... Wink Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Utah, Wyoming or Idaho are good choices.
Colorado is run by Liberals.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alabama.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by DMB:
Colorado is run by Liberals.

You must have spent some time in Boulder. Big Grin
Actually if you get out of the Denver Metro area, Colorado is very Conservitve freindly. I'll agree there are too many Californians moving out here trying to make it just like the State they came from.

Colorado is still very firearm friendly and hunting brings a lot of revenue every year to the State.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
My vote would be Arizona. Job market is good and the state is an amazingly diverse in terrain and beauty.

I grew up in Colorado. It's a great state, but the Front Range sucks. Plus it is a reasonable drive from here for a hunting trip.

New Mexico has some strange politics for a western cowboy state. They tend to vote more like California.

Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
People don't think about or forget about Oklahoma. You'll find that the state has a lot to offer and very different from one corner to the next. If I were to suggest a particular location, I would have to say somewhere around the Stillwater area. It really has been growing in the last 5-10 years.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would vote Idaho if you need to work. Montana would be my choice for semi retired. Washington & Oregon are Kalif. light. Arizona, hunting is getting tougher there every year, even for residents (try drawing elk tags).

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
Construction in Az is VERY slow right now.The residential market is not due to recover for a couple of years. Too much competition from low wage non English speaking workers has put the squeeze on construction wages.The banking business is struggling. The largest mortgage lender in the state recently closed and laid off a very large number of employees. They will be competing with your wife for any banking jobs.

Hunting is Ok, BUT everyhting is draw tag, except for javelina and quail. I know guys that waited over 5 years for their first deer or elk tag.

Idaho or NM are better choices.

Housing in Az is disproportionately higher than most other states with comparable economies.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nevada is one of the best kept secrets. Has been one of, or for many years, the fastest growing state in the Union. No state income tax. Strong construction industry and banking industry. Great weather and some fantastic hunting in the central and northern part of the state, plus close to great hunting in the rest of the west. If you live in Southern Nevada, no need to worry about 9 months of winter.

One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
If you want to hunt, pick a state that you can deaw a tag in. AZ is beautifully divers, it is also getting over crowded and difficult to draw a tag in. I would opt for MT, ID, or WY. The gas industry around Pinedale WY is booming. Housing is short, but employment is great as are wages. You might look at that.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote