THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Only thing better than hunting is guiding your son

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only thing better than hunting is guiding your son
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a great experience taking my son hunting this weekend on a friend's small ranch in the Hill Country. I had already taken a spike from this land a few weeks ago, trying to cull some of the smaller critters in this overpopulated region of Texas. My 15 year old son has hunted with me for the past 3 or 4 years and has taken several animals. I'd rather guide him to a kill than shoot myself. That's what we did Saturday morning. Just past first light, a typical Hill County doe moved into a clearing from the thick cedar. I asked Zack if he wanted to wait to see if a buck would come by. He watched for a little while, thought it over, and said, 'I don't care about the horns, I'm gonna take him.' Well, as we set up for the shot, I re-experienced buck fever. It's much harder to watch him get ready than to take the shot myself. He got a steady rest and shot. I saw the deer hump up and run into the cedar. Looked like a good shot. We waited 20 minutes, then went to the spot and immediately found a good blood trail and clear signs where the deer had stumbled going down the hill. We found her about 40 feet away, perfect low chest shot, right through the heart. Ruger 77, 7x57 with 154 Hornady round nose. Zack was pumped, thrilled that he had made a clean shot with minimal help from Dad. He spotted deer first, did most of the tracking. Everything but the field dressing, but that will come later. A great Thanksgiving holiday hunt. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Bob,

Great story! Where in the Hill Country were you hunting? I have a small place in Edwards County, that is getting overpopulated also.

Jim

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Wonderful, Bob!

You're right - nothing thrills me as much as taking my young 'un afield. I have more fun than he does, I'll betcha.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
338, this was between New Braunfels and Canyon Lake. A mix of small properties and 2000 acre ranches. I think part of why there are so many deer are all of the flower gardens on the many small weekend places like my friends'.

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote