New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady A-Max for hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody used AMAXs for hunting purposes? I have used several in the competitive realm with superior results. A friend keeps trying to tell me that Hornday claims they will work for deer sized game as well. While Hornadys website gives excellent ballistic data, they really dont explain their different bullets that well, or at least i cannot find it on their page. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about the AMAX? Thanks for your opinions...

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 178gr 30 caliber A-Max work fantastic. The Berger 175gr 30 caliber also work well.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
The 130gr, 270 bullet is a great PD Killer, all I will use them for.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here's some info on using A-max for hunting.
http://hornady.primediaoutdoors.com/HDstory10.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 7mm 162gr., .30 cal. 155gr., 168gr. and 178gr. with grate results. This has become my favorite bullet. I find the accuracy in my rifles second to none. They do open up very fast but I've gotten complete pass throughs on all but one and it was a hit low in the chest that broke both the large leg bones, ripped open the lower chest and lodged under the skin on the off side. This was the 155 gr. One of the heavier bullets would have undoubtably exited. For thoes that prefer the super penetrating bullets, this would not be your choice.

Posts: 36 | Location: Little Rock, Ar | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote