Find
Notify
Tools

Axis hunt pics
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
Well they are a little late but these are from a hunt I went on in May (3 pics total). It's a small ranch, about 8,000 acres under high fence. It's crossfenced with low wire to keep cows in a couple of different pastures and I believe the small pasture is 700 acres with the others around 1800-2000 acres each.

Shot this with my custom Mauser in 275 Rigby using the S&B 173 gr. SPCE bullet. He stayed on his feet all of 5 seconds.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful specimen. Congratulations. How are these animals for eating? Is this ranch in Texas...what part?

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks RWJ, this is about a medium size Axis, 28 1/2" on the left and 27 3/4" on the right. Axis is absolutely the best venison you can eat. This is on a Texas ranch about 20 miles west of Ingram, probably 80 miles or so west of San Antonio I would guess.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil! Beautiful deer Axis! Gotta love it that you chambered for the .275 Rigby - much better than the "lowly" 7x57 I was intending to do the very same thing, but settled for the 6.5x55 in the end.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote