Find
Notify
Tools

450 Marlin bullets for moose
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
My brother is getting a 450 Marlin shortly and we're hunting moose with it. Just wondering if he can get away with the 300 gr Nosler partition. In my Ruger #1 45-70, I'm using 400 Gr Hawk RN, but really souped up-2240 fps (I got the gun rethroated looooong). I used the 350 gr Speer FN on one a few years ago and was NOT impressed with it (penetration was POOR), so that one's out. I hear Rem 405 gr FN is harder than the Speer 405. Any help would be appreciated...

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Rem 405s in 45-70 Siamese @ 2300fps & found excellent accuracy. I have also used them in Marlin guide with excellent accuracy, but they have to be seated very deep. Unfortunatly never been in right place to pop a moose with this combination, but would sure like to try.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
The SD is low but 300 grains of failure is a lot of failure...

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh make a 405 gr 45/70 bullet which I have found to be an excellent penetrator and hang together really well I recovered one from a red gum tree (hard wood) and it had penetrated neally 10 inches and still weighed 385 grains!! and perfect mushroom. I reckon they would be good for moose. The other projectile I use would be to soft for moose this is the 300 gr sierra hollowpoints, there only good for ferals as they expand far to quickly.

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<samNella>
posted
Old4x4 -- The Hornady 350gr FN is worth reconsidering. The original version of the 350 FN was lightly constructed and I've read several reports of it performing poorly. The newer version has a rather thick jacket (.050" thick, IIRC) and is designed to perform well at the relatively high velocities of the 450M. According to Hornady the current 350 FN is similar to their 350 RN, which was as you probably know was designed with the 458 Win Mag in mind. There are quite a few threads on this topic in the Marlin big bore discussion forum.

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Good advice. I'm going w/ the 350 Round Nose. BTW, Where is this Merlin big bore discussion forum?????

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<samNella>
posted
Marlin's discussion board:

http://209.235.227.198/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Follow the link to the big-bore forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are on the right track!
I have tested both the Speer 400 gr FN as well as the Reminton 405 gr FN.
I found that with a striking velocity of 2100 fps in to wet newsprint, the Remington
bullet held together mutch better.
I registred 96% retained weight with wery good penetration from the Reminton bullet.

I have not shot a moose with this combo, but a budy has shot a couple with 300 gr FN/2100 FPS. They (the 300 graners)will do the job on a lung shot, but the margin of error is small to the point of carrying a big bore is questioneble. My advise, go for the 350 gr+ weights in your 45-70.

Posts: 68 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote