Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Blaze Orange
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
jaycocreek,

Why thank you. Search as I might at the state website, I couldn't find rules that pertained to the elk/rifle season. It was one of my questions for my next call out to Wyoming.

Thanks again,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Reed,

Here's the link to Laws and Regulations on the WY G&F site in case you need to check on anything else. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Hunter orange should be required for any big game hunting in my opinion. I know I feel a little safer with it on.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For many years, Maine required only a solid orange hat. Then some idiot killed a woman who was hanging out her laundry to dry in her own back yard. Now a solid blaze orange vest is required.

Unless and area is literally crawling with hunters, I feel that a little blaze orange (a hat) goes a long way. If you can't see the hat moving through the woods, the chances are you would not see or hear the hunter and mistake one for game. So a vest and hat is overkill. A solid blaze jacket and pants are literally beacons that game clearly see. I've seen hunters so outfitted walking on orange snow.

Posts: 58 | Location: Plain City, Ohio, USA | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I had a uncle who damn near killed a guy in Idaho. We pushed a huge buck (later measured 28 1/2 inch spread) through a saddle right by a guy wearing camo. My uncle never saw the guy until he was in his scope. Scared the guy so bad he never did get a shot and shook up my uncle so bad, it took a few seconds before he finally finished off the buck.
Needless to say, another vote for Blaze Orange

one of us
posted Hide Post
In areas of limited hunters It is most likely not needed. I found no need for it in AK last fall. Here in Wis where we have a short 9 day deer gun season lots of people you don't and do know in the woods it is a life savor.

We do a lot of deer drives blaze orange sure helps you keep track of your buddys. I have more then once seen flashs of blaze at a couple of hunderd yards. Where with out it you would have never know there was another person out there.

I have even takening to wearing it bird hunting ie grouse and pheasants. The ability to spot your hunting companion in a split second not only goes to making a safer hunt but also allows you to take shots because you know where he or she is. I highly recomend it for group pheasant hunting it helps greatly in know where every one is.

Sure some times shootings still happen but blaze orange can help reduce them.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Janus,
Quote:

required only a solid orange hat. Then some idiot killed a woman who was hanging out her laundry to dry in her own back yard. Now a solid blaze orange vest is required.

If this was the catalyst for the legislation, presumably one is required to wear orange while hanging laundry?

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends where I am hunting. When on my own land I wear a vest and cap. When I am hunting an area with other people I wear a one piece blaze orange (snowmobile) suite with hat. I just don't want to be mistaken for anything but a hunter. The weather makes a difference too. My most warm gear is not blaze but camo so my only option is vest and hat.

Good Luck!

Posts: 32 | Location: Gilbert, Mn | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I usually wear a blaze camo sweatshirt over a plain blaze orange shirt. That way if it gets too warm I can take the sweatshirt off and still have on the orange. I believe in it and would wear blaze orange even if it wasn't required by law

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wear blaze orange--vest and hat--on public land in NY, figuring that, at worst, it can't hurt. I once had an incident, though, that makes me wonder how much it helps when the idiots are about.

It was many years ago, and I was small-game hunting in a state forest in western Connecticut (Paugusset S.F., for those who know the area), wearing my usual orange hat and vest. It was late morning, and I was walking down the trail and back to the car when I heard a couple of .22 shots, followed immediately by bullets whizzing close by. I yelled a very loud "Hey!", and got close to the ground for half-a-minute or so. When no further shots ensued, I walked another 50 yards down the trail to find a couple of guys looking at the holes in a target they had tacked to a tree next to the trail, and which they had been firing at from the trail itself, apparently never thinking a) people walk on trails and b) the trail in question winds a bit and c) bullets fired from the trail, at a target affixed next to the trail, might endanger folks on the trail, particularly where it meanders.

I find it hard to believe that they couldn't see my orange vest at 50 yards through the thick--but not THAT thick--mixed hardwood and evergreen cover. I also find it hard to believe that anyone could be so stupid as to target shoot parallel to a trail in a public forest (particularly when they had to pass a state-designated informal 50-yard rifle range, wiuth high backstop, just before getting to the spot where I found them).

On the other hand, they were idiots.

And while idiot-proofing is a good idea, idiots are just too good at what they do--taking stupidity to new limits that are beyond reasoned men's comprehension--for it to have any real chance of success.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orange is a good thing. When you are sitting in the woods and hear something moving, all it takes is a little glimpse of orange (and hats are the best at this) to confirm that it is a person, not an animal. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to be misidentified. All the orange opponents can feel free to not wear it. I know I'd like to be alive because of it, not dead while protesting it. Sure, you can't legislate common sense. It's easy to say 'shoot another hunter and you go to jail' - but tell that to the dead guy or his family. I'm sure there is a lot of consolation in that. Something that a simple change in the color of your hunting coat can help prevent.

Here in MN, deer season consists of every person in the state tromping through the woods for 3 days. There are so many people out, it's sick. Several _truckloads_ of them all pile out and beat the bushes at every little patch of trees. As you go farther north, it's not so bad, but you really have to see it to believe it. I won't even go for a walk down the road without orange on. Every idiot and half-wit in the state is armed. I know it's not like this in other areas with much smaller populations, so at least here, orange is a very good idea! maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Know one denies that it's agood thing in some cases, but why does it have to be a Law??Seat belts-helmits etc.Aren't we smart enough to make our own decitions?What's next?Hunt at your own risk.Nothing is written in stone.

We have enough laws period.We don't need more for hunting or guns...

Just my opinion..Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn!! I put up a good answer, but the damn machine didn't take it. I'm not doing it again. I believe your mind is made up anyway.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never said that hunter orange wasn't a good idea, just like seatbelts,and helmets. But I think I can make my own choices. As far as another hunter shooting me or anyone else There is NO EXCUSE for shooting anyone while hunting. My dad and others who taught me about hunting taught safety first,they made big deer drives, no one wore orange and no one got shot. I've shot alot of deer and I never saw a human look like one. If it makes you feel better while hunting go ahead and dress up.I personally prefer my green Johnson wools.I read about in the paper a hunter who shot another,state "But he wasn't wearing orange!" Whatever happened to personal responabilty. Bruce

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruce,
It's not just saving someone from being mistaken for a deer. I agree there is no excuse for a hunter not identifying his target. Where I see orange as having the biggest value is identifying other hunters who may be in the line of fire for a hunter shooting at a deer or other game. As was mentioned earlier this can be especially important for bird hunters in thick cover. I don't buy the personal choice argument for seat belts or helmets either. If my insurance rates are affected or my taxes are paying for you to lie in a vegetative state then it's not just choice.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If my insurance rates are affected or my taxes are paying for you to lie in a vegetative state then it's not just choice.

How do you feel about drinking or smoking either of which cause many more deaths and medical treatment and therefore have many times more more effect on insurance rates and taxes than accidental shootings?How about high risk sports such as skydiving or mountain climbing?

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your still going to pay taxes and insurance company's will still lobby for legislation that will save them money.That's always going to happen. But your freedom of choice is priceless. I have worn orange when I've been mandated and a couple of times a hat while hunting pheasants when hunting with young hunters.That was my choice!!! However I hunt in area's where there's plenty of season (almost 3months long)and counting small game hunting I hunt at least 120 days a year. I've never came close to shooting anyone or anything that I wasn't sure of. So I guess I'm safe. But if I get shot by another hunter I'm going to effect your insurance rates so you have a right to dictate what I wear. What about If I drink or smoke I'm going to raise your rates too. What if I'm fat, still may effect your rates. I pay taxes because I have to. I pay insurance because in the case I get ill or shot or whatever my family will be covered. What you do is your business but I don't want anymore laws telling me how I've get to enjoy my favorite hobby. The only way I'm going to affect your life is if you shoot me, and with that I ask should have you been hunting in the first place.
Bruce

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote